WBAUnofficial
Housing Policy - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Politics (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Housing Policy (/showthread.php?tid=8794)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Housing Policy - Protheroe - 02-07-2020

Although I found myself groaning again this morning with the announcement by Robert Jenrick of the latest self-defeating subsidy policy for FTBs, at least the Boris has hired Jack Airey as Housing Advisor - author of liberalising papers at Policy Exchange.

We can but hope.

RE: Housing Policy - baggy1 - 02-07-2020

The huge elephant in the room is the decades of misuse of the funds from RTB. The policy of selling off housing stock to give people an opportunity to own their own house was fine, but the funds generated should have been ringfenced and used to build new council houses. The policy of integrating a mix of different people onto estates could have been continued and who knows - the world could be a different place.

What happened was the local authorities saw a big (one off) pot of money that they could spend like they were going to have that income year on year. Low and behold the money ran out as did the housing stock and any houses available went to those in greatest need and we created sink estates.

Various policies since then bringing in social housing companies and forcing large builds to incorporate social housing have been tried but the problems remain.

Add to that the average house price being 10 times the average earning and this becomes a massive task that is not going to be solved without radical change.

Like you say Proth, we can but hope.

RE: Housing Policy - Protheroe - 02-07-2020

Currently councils retain a third of RTB receipts with the rest kept by the Treasury. Disastrous.

RE: Housing Policy - HeathAyIt - 02-07-2020

Have you mused the JR annual report on poverty and inequality in the UK? Still convinced its fine cos everyone is going forward economically? Or unhappy with it being a subjective measure.

RE: Housing Policy - Protheroe - 02-08-2020

Not interested in anything to do with the concept of relative poverty. It's a meaningless concept in a country where we've never been better housed, better fed, better educated or better looked after. I have even less interest in inequality. Inequality is entirely necessary for economic success - provided that everybody is getting better off.

RE: Housing Policy - Derek Hardballs - 02-08-2020

(02-08-2020, 12:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Not interested in anything to do with the concept of relative poverty. It's a meaningless concept in a country where we've never been better housed, better fed, better educated or better looked after. I have even less interest in inequality. Inequality is entirely necessary for economic success - provided that everybody is getting better off.

Perfectly summing up life for the least well off in this country under this government. 

Severely disabled eh? Get up and walk and find a job! You’ve got to look after your parents eh and have barely any money to live on? Well that’ll teach you to keep fit and leave your parents to it! They are a drain on society!

RE: Housing Policy - ChamonixBaggie - 02-08-2020

(02-08-2020, 12:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Not interested in anything to do with the concept of relative poverty. It's a meaningless concept in a country where we've never been better housed, better fed, better educated or better looked after. I have even less interest in inequality. Inequality is entirely necessary for economic success - provided that everybody is getting better off.

That's astonishingly callous, even if we did actually live in a society that is "better housed, better fed, better educated or better looked after" today than ever before (we don't, thanks to a decade of austerity) or where "everybody is getting better off". Real living standards are still below 2008 levels whilst the income gap between the richest and the poorest has never been bigger). 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44926447
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/17/britons-are-still-worse-off-than-in-2008-new-research-claims

RE: Housing Policy - HeathAyIt - 02-08-2020

Never been better housed you say

Inequality can be argued to be necessary but its chasm cannot.

RE: Housing Policy - The liquidator - 02-08-2020

3 things I would do if I was in government
Drain the swamp of the buerecrats in charge they are milking the system
Put everything into social housing and sort this housing crisis
Sort the mental health issues out it all goes hand in hand

Brexit is a different issue and will eventually be done over time

RE: Housing Policy - Baggie Rick - 02-08-2020

(02-08-2020, 03:39 PM)The liquidator Wrote: 3 things I would do if I was in government
Drain the swamp of the buerecrats in charge they are milking the system
Put everything into social housing and sort this housing crisis
Sort the mental health issues out it all goes hand in hand

Brexit is a different issue and will eventually be done over time

Try explaining that to the ones who voted leave, they want it now. Most can't grasp the concept it can't be done (Brexit) in 24hrs.

Other than that I agree with you've said,