What a guy!
(02-23-2020, 11:49 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 05:29 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote: Odd, Eugenics was always traditionally a passion of the left, from the Webbs onwards.

Rolleyes

Arthur Balfour, Neville Chamberlain and Winston Churchill are all well known lefties aren't they...

Not to mention the Nazis. Though to be absolutely fair to NP there were many advocates on the left, pre war.
William Beveridge ! (Architect of the welfare state)
Helen Keller (disabled herself)
Harold Laski, LSE professor (can you be more lefty than the LSE?), and a chairman of the Labour Party
Many members of the Fabian Society such as George Bernard Shaw, The Webs, Bertrand Russell, Nehru, Ramsey Macdonald and Clement Attlee
(02-22-2020, 05:29 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote: Odd, Eugenics was always traditionally a passion of the left, from the Webbs onwards.

You've got to love this board haven't you. An employee of the current lunatic fringe government spouts some amazingly outdated ideas that have not been used in decades and in defence (because nothing can be said negative about the Tory party) parallels are drawn to 'the left' discussing this in the last century, generations ago.

Let's be real here - when you have loonies advising the government in current times with this sort of bullshit then you need to speak up not find some form of defence.
(02-24-2020, 09:42 AM)JOK Wrote:

Rolleyes

Arthur Balfour, Neville Chamberlain and Winston Churchill are all well known lefties aren't they...

Not to mention the Nazis. Though to be absolutely fair to NP there were many advocates on the left, pre war.
Harold Laski, LSE professor (can you be more lefty than the LSE?), and a chairman of the Labour Party
Many members of the Fabian Society such as George Bernard Shaw, The Webs, Bertrand Russell, Nehru, Ramsey Macdonald and Clement Attlee

Keynes as well if you're including Beveridge but I'd argue that they're more centrist than left wing, especially in the context of the Fabian society. There are many other right wing eugenecists I could have highlighted, people like David Coleman who was a SpAd during Thatcher's government. But I thought that saying three former Tory Prime Ministers would be enough to show that it was a passion of the right as well as the left.
(02-24-2020, 12:31 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:
(02-24-2020, 09:42 AM)JOK Wrote:

Rolleyes

Keynes as well if you're including Beveridge but I'd argue that they're more centrist than left wing, especially in the context of the Fabian society. There are many other right wing eugenecists I could have highlighted, people like David Coleman who was a SpAd during Thatcher's government. But I thought that saying three former Tory Prime Ministers would be enough to show that it was a passion of the right as well as the left.
On of my Uni. modules was about the rise in popularity in Eugenics in the early 20th century. One of the most disturbing things I discovered was that Marie Stopes disinherited her son and only child, because he married a short sighted girl! Thus ruining the gene pool.
Can you imagine the scene? “How dare you bring a girl home who wears glasses. Leave and never darken my doorstep again.”
Mind, her short film advocating ‘selective breeding’ for humans was one of the most puzzling but hilarious things I’ve seen. Mostly about propagating roses, as I remember.