Nice to see the EU
(10-22-2019, 09:39 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 10:44 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Just had a reread and it really is only SOTV that refers to the EU being the 'defenders of democracy' (the worst film of the avengers series IMO) and then backs it up by saying that remainers keep on saying it. Basically SOTV has made up a phrase and said remainers say it and then complained about them saying it. There is a wobble in the middle where 'defenders of democracy' becomes 'a force for democracy' but other than that 3 wasted pages.

Oh, and Dekka got the blame, that was the other bit.

Yes, because the debate around Brexit is limited to this bored. It’s not like EU leaders themselves have argued the case. And as for the pedantism regarding the change from defending democracy to a force for it, it really does show how desperate some of you are, it’s akin to grammar nazism.
Are you lot seriously bullshitting me that remainers haven’t used the EU keeping Europe democratic as an argument?

I see, so you've heard an argument somewhere else, not on here, and you have come on here to beat us around the head with that stick. You started by saying that the EU should have stepped into the Spanish domestic political arena and most, if not all of us said that domestic politics isn't something that the Eu gets involved in. At that point it probably would have been better for you to say, fair enough lads, I have heard some Remainers using that line but it's obviously not widespread, but instead you chase your own tail by trying to argue that you were right in the 1st place.

You might be getting a bit confused when people summarise the post war European scene by saying that it has worked by using democracy and working as a block to prevent one of the former great powers trying to impose themselves on the rest of Europe. It's simply a summary of a century of conflict and the various nuances that come with inter-European tensions prior to the EU being introduced and how peace has prevailed, in the main, by working together. 

Also, don't let that get confused with my message that there is very little that the EU has done to cause the problems and reasons for the vote leave that occurred.
(10-22-2019, 10:44 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Just had a reread and it really is only SOTV that refers to the EU being the 'defenders of democracy' (the worst film of the avengers series IMO) and then backs it up by saying that remainers keep on saying it. Basically SOTV has made up a phrase and said remainers say it and then complained about them saying it. There is a wobble in the middle where 'defenders of democracy' becomes 'a force for democracy' but other than that 3 wasted pages.

Yes, because the debate around Brexit is limited to this bored. It’s not like EU leaders themselves have argued the case. And as for the pedantism regarding the change from defending democracy to a force for it, it really does show how desperate some of you are, it’s akin to grammar nazism.
Are you lot seriously bullshitting me that remainers haven’t used the EU keeping Europe democratic as an argument?

Show us where Remainers have claimed the EU are defenders of democracy or a forcce for democracy. I genuinely have not seen anyone say that anywhere (and I've googled). I'll give Tucker that some claim the EU have kept peace in Europe (obviously NATO have been the main reason but the EU has shown that nations co-operating with each other is far better than avarciously grabbing land off each other).
(10-23-2019, 07:24 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

I see, so you've heard an argument somewhere else, not on here, and you have come on here to beat us around the head with that stick. You started by saying that the EU should have stepped into the Spanish domestic political arena and most, if not all of us said that domestic politics isn't something that the Eu gets involved in. At that point it probably would have been better for you to say, fair enough lads, I have heard some Remainers using that line but it's obviously not widespread, but instead you chase your own tail by trying to argue that you were right in the 1st place.

You might be getting a bit confused when people summarise the post war European scene by saying that it has worked by using democracy and working as a block to prevent one of the former great powers trying to impose themselves on the rest of Europe. It's simply a summary of a century of conflict and the various nuances that come with inter-European tensions prior to the EU being introduced and how peace has prevailed, in the main, by working together. 

Also, don't let that get confused with my message that there is very little that the EU has done to cause the problems and reasons for the vote leave that occurred.
Show me where I said the EU should step in regarding Spain.