Ally Rob article
(10-24-2019, 10:34 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 09:56 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Was really surprised to see him in that Rover showroom back in about 2000. They wheeled him out as soon as they found out I was Albion thinking it might swing my decision to buy one of those 45s or 75s (dodged a bullet there). I was surprised how he wasn't as tall as I expected.

He's about 5 11, I'd say. I've a soccer stars book from the mid 70s and there was very few players over 6ft then, including keepers, with many centre forwards and centre halves all about the 6ft mark. Think our John Osborne was one of the taller keepers- he was a shade taller than me, when I met him, so say he was just about 6 2.
Nowadays with better diet etc players are far bigger.
Still amazed Ally Rob never got a sniff playing for Scotland, when you look at all the years he had playing at the top level.

Back in the 70s and 80s, Scotland tried very hard to pick players who were playing in the Scottish League. So some undeniably top players (Alan Hansen, Gordon McQueen, Andy Gray) played relatively few games for their country. Very difficult for Ally Rob, playing for an unfashionable club, to break through in those circumstances.
Funny how Celtic and Rangers were the first UK clubs to fill their entire first XIs with foreigners, leading to the dearth of quality amongst Scottish players over the last 20 years or more.
Playing for Albion wasn't the problem. Albion being in England was. We fare well compared to many
of our English peers...

https://scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/al...gue-clubs/
How he and Wile weren't capped for their countries, I will never know.
Batson Statham Wile Robertson

With Godden in goal it's the defence I identify with most.
(10-26-2019, 07:32 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: Batson Statham Wile Robertson

With Godden in goal it's the defence I identify with most.

Those at their peak would be one hell of a defensive unit even in the prem these days.