Eight Billion Pounds
Rumours doing the rounds that Boris’ mate’s in the city have £8bn invested in disaster capital that will pay out in the event of No Deal. It would certainly explain a few things.

Turns out Brexit isn’t about taking control, sovereignty, patriotism or any of that nonsense, just making some rich cunts even richer.
In the same way that £350m on the side of a bus should be taken in context, I would also look at this with scepticism. This is a very murky world that we are getting into and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that people with some money to invest can see that Brexit would cause some serious turbulence. It's not rocket science to see that, however saying that Boris and his cronies are deliberately driving the country to that position for that very reason is stretching it.
(09-12-2019, 07:13 AM)Duffers Wrote: Rumours doing the rounds that Boris’ mate’s in the city have £8bn invested in disaster capital that will pay out in the event of No Deal. It would certainly explain a few things.

Turns out Brexit isn’t about taking control, sovereignty, patriotism or any of that nonsense, just making some rich cunts even richer.

it wouldn't surprise me. Wouldn't surprise me if those wanting us to stay are also making loads of money out of it too. That's the biggest problem, the MPs all stand to make money out of whichever way things go and however it goes down the regular Joe will suffer and lose out.
(09-12-2019, 11:54 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 07:13 AM)Duffers Wrote: Rumours doing the rounds that Boris’ mate’s in the city have £8bn invested in disaster capital that will pay out in the event of No Deal. It would certainly explain a few things.

it wouldn't surprise me. Wouldn't surprise me if those wanting us to stay are also making loads of money out of it too. That's the biggest problem, the MPs all stand to make money out of whichever way things go and however it goes down the regular Joe will suffer and lose out.

The only reason regulars Joes and Joanna’s will suffer if we remain is down to Conservative austerity measures cutting billions off public services. What evidence is remainer MPs will make money out of it.

Any financial institution worth its salt will have money invested to reap rewards from a no deal, deal, or remain. That's how they keep getting richer regardless; they have money invested in the right areas for every eventuality.
"I'm not a nerd Bart. Nerds are smart"
I don't suppose any of us find this particularly surprising: it's the kind of thing hedge funds do all the time and, while we might wonder at the empty morality of 'positioning yourself' to profit from chaos and misery, there's nothing illegal about it. Unless of course there's insider trading going on - and who would bet against that being the case.

Where I would have an issue is if these speculators have direct access to those making the decisions and even more so if they are getting the opportunity to have some input into those decisions. That, to my mind, would be no better than insider dealing; worse if anything.
(09-12-2019, 01:10 PM)Ossian Wrote: I don't suppose any of us find this particularly surprising: it's the kind of thing hedge funds do all the time and, while we might wonder at the empty morality of 'positioning yourself' to profit from chaos and misery, there's nothing illegal about it. Unless of course there's insider trading going on - and who would bet against that being the case.

Where I would have an issue is if these speculators have direct access to those making the decisions and even more so if they are getting the opportunity to have some input into those decisions. That, to my mind, would be no better than insider dealing; worse if anything.

Here you go the context to the original post
(09-12-2019, 01:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:10 PM)Ossian Wrote: I don't suppose any of us find this particularly surprising: it's the kind of thing hedge funds do all the time and, while we might wonder at the empty morality of 'positioning yourself' to profit from chaos and misery, there's nothing illegal about it. Unless of course there's insider trading going on - and who would bet against that being the case.

Here you go.

https://fullfact.org/economy/short-positions/

Another of your facts!

What were you saying about Social Media confirming people’s prejudices?
(09-13-2019, 07:53 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:

Here you go.

Another of your facts!

Which is why I didn’t post this with an endorsement simply the article the rumours were based on.
(09-13-2019, 08:14 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 07:53 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:

Here you go.

Another of your facts!

Which is why I didn’t post this with an endorsement simply the article the rumours were based on.

Should put it on the side of a bus etc.

Those articles about the short positions and the subsequent outrage are fucking hilarious, particularly as the majority of those getting themselves into a shit fit over something they don't understand often accuse anyone with a different opinion to them of being some type of moron. The one about Crispin Odey taking short positions on companies like The Royal Mail (like post isn't a dying game) also featured a small mention of him taking long positions on companies like Tesco, which was totally ignored amidst the hysteria.