Harper
(08-14-2019, 01:50 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Is this the same Harper who the club we're being small time and lacking ambition in fighting to keep?

It was his first start of the season, and he was against a team who sat deep and gave little space between the lines for him to exploit. He hasn't become a crap player overnight, but he needs to steadily develop his game to cope with opposition who do that as it's not something he'll have seen in youth football, and rarely faced in his cameos last season.

Spot on SW4 and Birdy.

I watched him closely on Tuesday and I don't get why people are on his back.

He's a kid who burst in to our first team last season and had some promising displays before petering out a bit. This is what young players do. Greasy did it at Villa when he first got in the team also.

Consistency with young players is very hit and miss. It's a huge step up and some take longer than others. I don't think the contract thing helped him (Spurs supposedly linked) and that's when I think fans started thinking he was big time.

Like Birdy says he has a languid style which doesn't endear him to some who want to see players flying into challenges. That's just the way he is.

I personally feel he is much better suited further forward and the deep role he played the other night doesn't get the best out of him.

We have a lot of competition now further forward so we'll see what he's made of but I still think he's a great talent.

Kyle Edwards was the star for me the other night. Now he really does seem to be progressing very quickly imo.
(08-15-2019, 11:00 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 01:50 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Is this the same Harper who the club we're being small time and lacking ambition in fighting to keep?

It was his first start of the season, and he was against a team who sat deep and gave little space between the lines for him to exploit. He hasn't become a crap player overnight, but he needs to steadily develop his game to cope with opposition who do that as it's not something he'll have seen in youth football, and rarely faced in his cameos last season.

Spot on SW4 and Birdy.

I watched him closely on Tuesday and I don't get why people are on his back.

He's a kid who burst in to our first team last season and had some promising displays before petering out a bit. This is what young players do. Greasy did it at Villa when he first got in the team also.

Consistency with young players is very hit and miss. It's a huge step up and some take longer than others. I don't think the contract thing helped him (Spurs supposedly linked) and that's when I think fans started thinking he was big time.

Like Birdy says he has a languid style which doesn't endear him to some who want to see players flying into challenges. That's just the way he is.

I personally feel he is much better suited further forward and the deep role he played the other night doesn't get the best out of him.

We have a lot of competition now further forward so we'll see what he's made of but I still think he's a great talent.

Kyle Edwards was the star for me the other night. Now he really does seem to be progressing very quickly imo.

Far too sensible.
In the form of his life.
(08-15-2019, 10:59 AM)sickParrot Wrote: Funny old game as my mate has been a hard core city fan since the 80s and he misses the old days.

I've heard this too. Likewise, Liverpool fans complaining that you don't hear a Scouse accent in the stand anymore.

Back to the OP, I think Harper was fine the other night, but then aside from Burke, I can't pick out another dire performance.
(08-15-2019, 10:18 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 10:14 AM)Statto Wrote: I won’t slag Harper as he’s young and developing. However, it’s fair to say that if he was a purchase/loan rather than an Albion academy product, there would be plenty justifiably questioning the hype and looking for exactly what it is he adds to the team.

Anyone who expects a kid to produce consistently good performances is a fucking numpty whoever they play for.

No one is saying he should be smashing it for 46 games and carrying us to promotion, but Harper has done ok and no better than that. I've seen most if not all of his games live but couldn't really tell you his specific strengths and areas of the game he influences. Can you tell me?

It's more difficult in centre mid, as I think he's still trying to define what he actually is, but contrast this with an Edwards who despite being raw and having far less game time, has IMHO made a greater impact.

Harper is neat and tidy and passes relatively well, but he's not obviously strong defensively, isn't a player of killer passes, is sometimes sloppy in possession, isn't an energetic box to box type, doesn't stand out in the air, doesn't get beyond the striker into the box, but has an eye for a shot around the edge of the box. 

I'm not slagging him or writing him off, but I've got to be honest and say the jury is out on what he actually makes happen on the pitch, which is probably why he's not yet starting league games.
(08-15-2019, 01:08 PM)Statto Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 10:18 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 10:14 AM)Statto Wrote: I won’t slag Harper as he’s young and developing. However, it’s fair to say that if he was a purchase/loan rather than an Albion academy product, there would be plenty justifiably questioning the hype and looking for exactly what it is he adds to the team.

Anyone who expects a kid to produce consistently good performances is a fucking numpty whoever they play for.

No one is saying he should be smashing it for 46 games and carrying us to promotion, but Harper has done ok and no better than that. I've seen most if not all of his games live but couldn't really tell you his specific strengths and areas of the game he influences. Can you tell me?

It's more difficult in centre mid, as I think he's still trying to define what he actually is, but contrast this with an Edwards who despite being raw and having far less game time, has IMHO made a greater impact.

Harper is neat and tidy and passes relatively well, but he's not obviously strong defensively, isn't a player of killer passes, is sometimes sloppy in possession, isn't an energetic box to box type, doesn't stand out in the air, doesn't get beyond the striker into the box, but has an eye for a shot around the edge of the box. 

I'm not slagging him or writing him off, but I've got to be honest and say the jury is out on what he actually makes happen on the pitch, which is probably why he's not yet starting league games.

Fair points from both Peach and Statto

I think there has simply been a change in perception since his performances stuttered after his early impact/ the contract wranglings.  A suspect a few just want him to kick on rather than experience (what is the usual) staggered progress of a youngster
We should be giving him some time before making these sort of judgements. I genuinely don't see a problem with the lad. He has good games and he has games when he is not so effective. He's a young player and will sometimes be out of his depth. As for body language. I don't think anyone should read too much into this. Brunty lopes around like Kevin the teenager half of the time, yet he's made a fairly decent career out of doing what he is paid for. Kanu (the real one), looked like he'd wondered on the field by mistake, Carlton Palmer had a pretty languid run too. Not everyone is a Willie Johnston, teeth gritted, fist clenched,youlookinatme attitude.