Recruiting 20,000 Police
Whilst I applaud the move, I do have a few observations about the way Police forces currently waste their money:

Someone I know works in IT support for West Mids police, he said they only use the latest, newest versions of mobile phones. Currently they all get Samsung Galaxy S10s! (around £800 a piece to Joe Public, so hopefully the cops have some sort of deal at a reduced rate!), along with high end laptops etc...

Worse, is that they only expect the phones to last a year, and then they will upgrade to the next latest version!

He's heard of cases of one officer telling another to smash his phone, as they'll replace it with a new one and ask no question. The same goes for other IT equipment.

Now I know that you do not need a high end phone anymore, and that ones around £200 will cover everything they could need to do with them.

So even just using a middle of the road phone, switching to a 2 year plan and not going for the highest rated laptops (accessing databases and writing reports, contrary to what the movies, and cockwombles in Starbucks suggest, does not need a load of power) they could save many millions already. 

With their lax approach to the levels of tech needed, I suspect there are massive sinkholes in other areas, being filled with money that could be spent on officers instead too.
The Tories are simply putting back, what they cut under May.
Borris Bobbies will be known as “Bobbers”.
Strange that the Tories aren't bleating about a 'magic money tree' when it's them doing it...
(07-26-2019, 09:38 AM)MassDebater Wrote: Whilst I applaud the move, I do have a few observations about the way Police forces currently waste their money:

Someone I know works in IT support for West Mids police, he said they only use the latest, newest versions of mobile phones. Currently they all get Samsung Galaxy S10s! (around £800 a piece to Joe Public, so hopefully the cops have some sort of deal at a reduced rate!), along with high end laptops etc...

Worse, is that they only expect the phones to last a year, and then they will upgrade to the next latest version!

He's heard of cases of one officer telling another to smash his phone, as they'll replace it with a new one and ask no question. The same goes for other IT equipment.

Now I know that you do not need a high end phone anymore, and that ones around £200 will cover everything they could need to do with them.

So even just using a middle of the road phone, switching to a 2 year plan and not going for the highest rated laptops (accessing databases and writing reports, contrary to what the movies, and cockwombles in Starbucks suggest, does not need a load of power) they could save many millions already. 

With their lax approach to the levels of tech needed, I suspect there are massive sinkholes in other areas, being filled with money that could be spent on officers instead too.

There was an ex-officer saying something similar on Radio 2 today - that they had spent tens of millions on a new it set up which was obsolete and not fit for purpose by the time it was installed. I hope the cuts have at least taught the local authorities to be less wasteful but clearly we do need more police on the streets and 20,000 probably isn't even enough - also who is going to train them all? How long will it take to recruit that many?
(07-26-2019, 08:34 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 09:38 AM)MassDebater Wrote: Whilst I applaud the move, I do have a few observations about the way Police forces currently waste their money:

There was an ex-officer saying something similar on Radio 2 today - that they had spent tens of millions on a new it set up which was obsolete and not fit for purpose by the time it was installed. I hope the cuts have at least taught the local authorities to be less wasteful but clearly we do need more police on the streets and 20,000 probably isn't even enough - also who is going to train them all? How long will it take to recruit that many?

From what I hear they just love spunking money on systems that offer no benefits... I suspect someone high up is getting back handers...

I did read that they were looking at giving some of the PCSO's full time jobs, as they are already partially trained.
Aren't they just putting back the 20,000 officers that were axed by May?

Another question is where is the money coming from? BoJo has announced a £100 million tax break for his wealthy chums, he also said that unlimited funds will be available for a 'No Deal Brexit' and now he's found enough dosh down the back of his sofa to re-implement the officers sacked by the last PM.

Where's the money from, Tom?
May was an utter fucking c*nt.