Anyone settle a family debate
According to Wiki they are actually a shit cookie, sorry a sheet cookie.

Fugin' yanks what do they know!?
(07-15-2019, 09:18 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 09:03 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 07:58 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: One eats cake with a fork. One eats chocolate brownies with one's fingers. Ergo, it ain't no fackin' cake.

Hey - was in a village in Staffs on Saturday and had my first oatcake - very nice!

What was the filling and what was the sauce? These things are important.

Mushrooms and cheese with brown sauce.
Does it look like a cake? Taste like a cake? Walk like a cake? Talk like a cake? If yes to all, It's a duck.
(07-15-2019, 09:22 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 09:18 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 09:03 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 07:58 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: One eats cake with a fork. One eats chocolate brownies with one's fingers. Ergo, it ain't no fackin' cake.

Hey - was in a village in Staffs on Saturday and had my first oatcake - very nice!

What was the filling and what was the sauce? These things are important.

Mushrooms and cheese with brown sauce.

Good call. The traditional is bacon and cheese with brown sauce, but that's a dashed good intro.
Slightly related to the OP. Back in the day, I worked for Customs and Excise in the VAT department. Cakes were liable for VAT and biscuits were Zero rated. An older colleague told me that where there was ambiguity as to whether an item was a cake or a biscuit (Jaffa cakes a prime example), there was a simple test. If you left the item in the open air and it dried up and hardened, it was a cake; if the item softened, it was a biscuit. I’m imagining a brownie would do the former. Based on that, it’s a cake..I guess...I dunno  Smile
(07-15-2019, 10:20 PM)Sidsockett Wrote: Slightly related to the OP. Back in the day, I worked for Customs and Excise in the VAT department. Cakes were liable for VAT and biscuits were Zero rated. An older colleague told me that where there was ambiguity as to whether an item was a cake or a biscuit (Jaffa cakes a prime example), there was a simple test. If you left the item in the open air and it dried up and hardened, it was a cake; if the item softened, it was a biscuit. I’m imagining a brownie would do the former. Based on that, it’s a cake..I guess...I dunno  Smile

As a trainee accountant remember being told of the case involving Jaffa Cakes - the HMCE arguing they were a biscuit the producers (McVitie?) claiming it to be a cake . Think McVities won.

My daughter who makes the Brownies in our family insists it is not a cake, but I cannot see how it cannot be.