Bilic concerns
If he's going to Wigan then may I suggest - without wishing to sound like a Villa twat - that we don't want him that badly?
(07-15-2019, 10:44 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: If he's going to Wigan then may I suggest - without wishing to sound like a Villa twat - that we don't want him that badly?

I agree, but I'm wondering why we don't want him that badly. The art of the deal being the art of the possible and all that. I'd take Lowe over Austin, put it that way.
(07-15-2019, 10:30 AM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:17 AM)Hopalong Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if Bilic is gone before the season starts.

Definitely sounds like a warning shot from someone who's not totally on board with what's going on.

I'm not suggesting by any means that Stoke will have a great season, or that we'll finish above you. All sorts of things can happen along the way and there's still a month left before the window closes FFS. But if you look at our preparation whereby we had a manager in place identifying targets months ago and we've brought in 7 players already, I can understand Bilic's concern that things aren't moving.

Again, this isn't a 'we're better than yow' post - I'm really not into that, and hopefully my posting history would show that. Just pointing out where your preparation is a bit behind some others, largely I think through the time it took to get in a new manager.

In fairness you had the advantage that you could treat 6 months of last season as a write-off, let Jones tinker and play without pressure and then line up what needed to be done in advance. You also have a board that will throw a few million quid in and take a couple of risks whereas we are desperately trying to cut whatever costs we can.

I’d imagine you had players signed and sealed for this season before we even knew what division we’d be playing in this season, and then the farcical delay on getting a manager in set us back even further.

There’s still a bit of work to do on your squad IMO before it’s ready to push for the top 2, but you’re closer to those spots than we are atm.
(07-15-2019, 10:17 AM)Hopalong Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if Bilic is gone before the season starts.

Arf! It never rains....
In the form of his life.
(07-15-2019, 10:48 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Definitely sounds like a warning shot from someone who's not totally on board with what's going on.

I'm not suggesting by any means that Stoke will have a great season, or that we'll finish above you. All sorts of things can happen along the way and there's still a month left before the window closes FFS. But if you look at our preparation whereby we had a manager in place identifying targets months ago and we've brought in 7 players already, I can understand Bilic's concern that things aren't moving.

Again, this isn't a 'we're better than yow' post - I'm really not into that, and hopefully my posting history would show that. Just pointing out where your preparation is a bit behind some others, largely I think through the time it took to get in a new manager.

In fairness you had the advantage that you could treat 6 months of last season as a write-off, let Jones tinker and play without pressure and then line up what needed to be done in advance. You also have a board that will throw a few million quid in and take a couple of risks whereas we are desperately trying to cut whatever costs we can.

I’d imagine you had players signed and sealed for this season before we even knew what division we’d be playing in this season, and then the farcical delay on getting a manager in set us back even further.

There’s still a bit of work to do on your squad IMO before it’s ready to push for the top 2, but you’re closer to those spots than we are atm.

I think we were a bit closer to the trapdoor than you're giving us credit for SW4. There was definitely an element of tinkering to see what was needed for the forthcoming season, but it was laced with caution, hence the amount of draws.

On the money front, yeah, the Coates family are obviously minted, but so far, where last season we spaffed £50m up the creek, we've so far paid about £7m in fees presumably because FFP is stopping the spending.

Agreed on all other points.
A fine line runs between caring and playing drama queens.
Several people were showing concern about our lack of transfer activity and have been ridiculed on here over the last few weeks.
Now our new manager has voiced his concerns and rightly so IMO. I don't see anyone calling him a pant wetter?
As much as the pant wetters are over reactive the lets give it time brigade are out of touch with reality themselves sometimes.
Some on here get also confused between the genuine people who care and those just seeking attention.
Lets not forget we can influence little that happens and just support the team and coach through this rough period.
Sadly I feel Bilic has now committed a fatal sin by revealing the poor management within the club, this never happens at WBA.
Dowling's or Bilc's epitaph will now be prepared IMHO.
(07-15-2019, 11:04 AM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:48 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

I think we were a bit closer to the trapdoor than you're giving us credit for SW4. There was definitely an element of tinkering to see what was needed for the forthcoming season, but it was laced with caution, hence the amount of draws.

On the money front, yeah, the Coates family are obviously minted, but so far, where last season we spaffed £50m up the creek, we've so far paid about £7m in fees presumably because FFP is stopping the spending.

Agreed on all other points.

I was too focused on the top half last season to notice how close you slipped Wink

Just the £7m... Considering our £10m net gain and £25m net gain this season I don't think you'll find too much sympathy here!
(07-15-2019, 10:25 AM)Squid Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:20 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

I think his message is a shot across the bows.

Worrying.

Sheff Wed going to be looking for a manager soon.

It's too soon to panic and Bilić is known as a straight talker. We'll just have to see what this week brings. If we could get Maupay across the line, that would be a major boost.

Bit early for the sherry Squiders!
(07-15-2019, 10:29 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:25 AM)Squid Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:20 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

I think his message is a shot across the bows.

Worrying.

Sheff Wed going to be looking for a manager soon.

It's too soon to panic and Bilić is known as a straight talker. We'll just have to see what this week brings. If we could get Maupay across the line, that would be a major boost.

I think the most concerning thing about this is that we've known for 12 months that we'll need to replace both JRod and Gayle, as they were always going to be unaffordable this season, and we'll have known what fees we'd be likely to receive for both Rondon and JRod so nothing will have been a surprise. 

Dowling and co. will have known we have to find players looking for £20-30k/wk, and with about £15m in funds available...  for us to seemingly not have a clue who we want is amateurish at best.

Agree very much with this concern.
It’s not a panic or expecting miracles but just that we really don’t seem to plan well at all.
Not bothered about the result or anything in Spain but just watching the squad so bereft of the quality we need and so lacking yet near to the first League game was the real disappointment.
Villarreal were a class act but we looked clueless when attacking and, obviously, offered no threat.
Great trip though and proud of all our fans who made it out there.
(07-15-2019, 10:47 AM)Squid Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:44 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: If he's going to Wigan then may I suggest - without wishing to sound like a Villa twat - that we don't want him that badly?

I agree, but I'm wondering why we don't want him that badly. The art of the deal being the art of the possible and all that. I'd take Lowe over Austin, put it that way.

He's not on our list, simple. If he was he'd be signed, strange move if he does go there I thought he would be more ambitious.