Starting line up tonight
(07-13-2019, 05:06 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Good to see Slav recognises already that, even with a paper thin squad, HRK isnt good enough to start.

Well he's absent for first game so needs to try others.

I expect us to lose comfortably against a much better side in this heat  (just thought I'd get the excuses in early!)
Before any preseason melt downs, results don’t matter.

90 minutes of fitness and getting to know new players (lol).
Classic Bartley marking off the corner.....

Cuzer
Edwards, Harper look ok

Burke not had a kick

Leko, great in tight spaces with the ball, hasn’t a clue what to do or where to go when the opposition have the ball.
(07-13-2019, 04:28 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Johnstone 

Nyom
O’Shea
Bartley
Gibbs

Phillips
Livermore 
Harper

Leko
Burke
Edwards

Looking at that line-up we need at least 4 new signings.

Hope Krov gets 45.  

We need something positive.  

Tulloch is the other player I hope makes an impact. 

Not much on the bench otherwise.

Jesus, what a pile of shoite.  Nothing going forward and shoite at the back. 

Just too many quality players gone who we can't replace. 

Going to be a long old season.  Rolleyes
That'll be a battle.
(07-13-2019, 08:17 PM)Thurso Pickle Rick Wrote:
(07-13-2019, 06:07 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(07-13-2019, 04:28 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Johnstone 

Nyom
O’Shea
Bartley
Gibbs

Phillips
Livermore 
Harper

Leko
Burke
Edwards

Looking at that line-up we need at least 4 new signings.

Hope Krov gets 45.  

We need something positive.  

Tulloch is the other player I hope makes an impact. 

Not much on the bench otherwise.

Jesus, what a pile of shoite.  Nothing going forward and shoite at the back. 

Just too many quality players gone who we can't replace. 

Going to be a long old season.  Rolleyes

Perhaps whilst in Spain someone can get hold of Jenkins' ear

Looking at that line we need 3 teams to be worse than us  Big Grin
I can't criticise Slaven's team selection because he had to start somewhere. This is the first chance he's had to see players in a matchday environment.

There are a few things Slaven needs to realise very quickly though:

1) 4-4-2 No, no no! In the modern game there's a reason teams don't use it and it doesn't suit us in any case.

2) We need to bring in two good forwards, Kanu isn't good enough and Phillips isn't a striker. Burke to be fair to him had absolutely nothing to work with yesterday.

3) We need to bring in at least two defenders. We have Hegazi to come back in thankfully. O'Shea may be OK as third / forth choice this season. Bartley cannot start every game we need better. We need a right back, Nyom is shocking. Townsend I genuinely believe should challenge Gibbs for left back this season. 

4) Midfield - We need three in the middle NONE of them can be Livermore. I just do not see what this guy does to warrant his constant inclusion. Krovinovic, Field and Brunt would be my choice at the moment. All are better than Harper and Livermore. 

5) Leko is fucking shit!

Those are the basics Slav, digest these points quickly please.
(07-13-2019, 09:01 PM)Pneumann Wrote: That'll be a battle.

All out war I'd imagine. Big Grin
(07-14-2019, 08:08 AM)Atomic Wrote: I can't criticise Slaven's team selection because he had to start somewhere. This is the first chance he's had to see players in a matchday environment.

There are a few things Slaven needs to realise very quickly though:

1) 4-4-2 No, no no! In the modern game there's a reason teams don't use it and it doesn't suit us in any case.

2) We need to bring in two good forwards, Kanu isn't good enough and Phillips isn't a striker. Burke to be fair to him had absolutely nothing to work with yesterday.

3) We need to bring in at least two defenders. We have Hegazi to come back in thankfully. O'Shea may be OK as third / forth choice this season. Bartley cannot start every game we need better. We need a right back, Nyom is shocking. Townsend I genuinely believe should challenge Gibbs for left back this season. 

4) Midfield - We need three in the middle NONE of them can be Livermore. I just do not see what this guy does to warrant his constant inclusion. Krovinovic, Field and Brunt would be my choice at the moment. All are better than Harper and Livermore. 

5) Leko is fucking shit!

Those are the basics Slav, digest these points quickly please.

Results in pre-season don't matter, and performances are relatively meaningless too. This was our first run out in very warm conditions and Bilic's first opportunity to see the players in a match environment.

I'd imagine we went 4-4-2 for ease - Slav will want to see every player, and that's the easiest way to get 20-odd players on the pitch doing fairly basic roles.

Phillips has been suggested as a striker several times on here, and has done it for Scotland, imagine we were seeing if this was an option going forward.

Livermore and Leko have roles to play, but not in a 442, and in Leko's case, probably not as a starting player.

No point jumping to conclusions after one game with a first XI that will hopefully be much different to the one we'll see in 3 or so weeks time.