JRod to Burnley
I don't think we'll spend much / any of the parachute payments.

So assuming we do get £16m for Rondon, then we have around £30m from JRod, Daws and Rondon... and of course £235k from Barry. :/

Realistically as Cuzer said we need 5 - 6 players, so do we spunk £20m on one good striker and make the rest up with bargains, or aim for £5m a piece type players?

What does make me have concerns is that we don't even seem to be being linked with anyone at all at the moment!
I don't care about who we are linked with. We are a very private club, most of our best business is done very quietly.
(07-08-2019, 06:44 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Parachute money doesn't just go to transfers, wages, running costs all have to come out of it too. That's the issue in this damn league, it's nigh on impossible to break even and actually spend without external investment, from an owner or transfer revenue.

That's correct, but we will have to manage without the parachute money in 2 years time, even next year its only £15m
I've said many times the average investment to just survive in this league is £20 million. 
Peace managed his way around it by clever buying & selling. Things have changed in the last few years, with the £100m from the PL owners in the championship are prepared to invest (£20m/yr) just to stay in the race. 
This idea that we can survive without investment is true, but not in the championship in today's world.   
Sadly IMO not one of our recent signings look as though they are going to create us any windfalls atm. Lets hope Bilic can throw us a two fold life line a few players who can make an impact and give us a good return if and when they move on.
(07-08-2019, 07:13 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I don't care about who we are linked with. We are a very private club, most of our best business is done very quietly.

Applause. Very true that Smile

I mean, Dowling never makes public announcements that turn out to be utter bollocks or anything Smile
(07-08-2019, 07:16 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 07:13 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I don't care about who we are linked with. We are a very private club, most of our best business is done very quietly.

Applause. Very true that Smile

I mean, Dowling never makes public announcements that turn out to be utter bollocks or anything Smile

Sadly he does seem to be making a habit of that.
The Newcastle of the Championship...
(07-08-2019, 07:06 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Jay Rod earned the clause by stopping last season when he could have easily kicked off when Burnley offered £12m plus for him, he didn't, knucked down and gave it his all, whcih nobody can question

We must have known/feared this was coming let's hope we've got some targets in mind as we seriously can't fuck about this window, you get the impression Slaven won't let that happen

We need 5-6 first team players minimum IMO, that's keeping everybody else too

Cuzer

I admire your optimisem Cuzer lad but given our recent history and past track record over signings plus an owner that dosent seem to give a fugg I think we are in for a long hard bloody season unless big Slav can pull a few rabbits out of the hat! Just typical Albion even in our prem years we rarely looked like a club that was striving to achieve anything positive long term imvho.
(07-08-2019, 07:05 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 06:56 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 06:44 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Parachute money doesn't just go to transfers, wages, running costs all have to come out of it too. That's the issue in this damn league, it's nigh on impossible to break even and actually spend without external investment, from an owner or transfer revenue.

But we still generate other income on ticket sales, sponsorship and commercial remember PLUS any monies that may be owed the Club from third parties (if you get my drift!).

We do but it's not as much as we need. Due to the way we run things we will never spend it all either. I certainly wouldn't be happy with a bunch of loans and free transfers, unless they are all sensational of course. But people thinking we are going to spend like Villa did are going to be dissapointed.

In fairness, aside from McGinn, Villa generally bought a load of crap, so no, I don't want to spend like Villa. Their best players last seasin were two loanees and Greasy Jack.

Ideally, we should have been prepared for the loss of Gayle and J-Rod, so should have targets we can chase to replace them.