On this day
Lest we forget

https://www.theguardian.com/football/201...-interview
[Image: sympathy-quotes-for-mother-passing-with-...ence-6.jpg]
I'm no doubt in a tiny minority here, but I was warming to him when he was sacked and felt performances, if not results, were improving and I was optimistic he would keep us up.
(06-14-2019, 08:30 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I'm no doubt in a tiny minority here, but I was warming to him when he was sacked and felt performances, if not results, were improving and I was optimistic he would keep us up.

I thought he was well on the slide and should have gone after that qpr game when we blew a 2 goal lead. We were shipping goals like no ones business. 

Tbf, he had a mini spell when we were playing excellently. He actually got a 1-0 win at Spurs and we tubbed Burnley 4-0.  He certainly got the best out of Saido. 

AFI also has a 1-0 win over those seal twats - to his immense credit.
(06-14-2019, 08:44 AM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 08:30 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: I'm no doubt in a tiny minority here, but I was warming to him when he was sacked and felt performances, if not results, were improving and I was optimistic he would keep us up.

I thought he was well on the slide and should have gone after that qpr game when we blew a 2 goal lead. We were shipping goals like no ones business. 

Tbf, he had a mini spell when we were playing excellently. He actually got a 1-0 win at Spurs and we tubbed Burnley 4-0.  He certainly got the best out of Saido. 

We were arguably a bit unlucky to lose in his final game at Stoke but he definitely had to go. 

Should've gone as soon as he brought Ideye on purely because the crowd were demanding to see him. He had Samaras warming up for the preceding 10 minutes whilst Ideye was sat on his arse.
(06-14-2019, 08:47 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 08:44 AM)Mancbaggies Wrote:

We were arguably a bit unlucky to lose in his final game at Stoke but he definitely had to go. 

Should've gone as soon as he brought Ideye on purely because the crowd were demanding to see him. He had Samaras warming up for the preceding 10 minutes whilst Ideye was sat on his arse.

That last game at Stoke was embarrassingly bad.. he was fantastically clueless by the end. I'd got to the "it's a means to an end, Tom" stage by then and was so punch drunk I was pleased to welcome Darth Tony..
[Image: ?m=02&d=20141230&t=2&i=1008647386&r=LYNX...009&w=1280]

[Image: Alan-Irvine-manager-of-West-Bromwich-Alb...oks-on.jpg]

[Image: alan-irvine-of-west-brom-checks-his-watc...?s=612x612]

[Image: Alan-Irvine-checks-his-watch-while-Brend...e-game.jpg]
To be fair to AFI the performances under him weren't that bad. We were unlucky in a few games and I think the recruitment let him down badly.

Although I remember the QPR away game where we went 2-0 and played some lovely stuff but then fucked it up to lose 3-2 with AFI coming out with "Except for the hat trick we kept Charlie Austin quiet". Christ...

He should never have been given the job but I have a lot more time for the bloke than the likes of Pulis and Pardew.
(06-14-2019, 10:27 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: He should never have been given the job but I have a lot more time for the bloke than the likes of Pulis and Pardew.

I can relate to that yes. Pulis was a fucking cunt of the highest order. AFI wasn't actually an arsehole, was just woefully out of his depth and the club pissed all over us by appointing him. Wasn't his fault. I remember arguing at the time that he should have had some professional integrity and not taken the job as he should have known he was far from qualified to take it on, but in hindsight, who on earth would do that?!
Another example of a superb academy manager who should never have tried to make the leap into senior management.