Who else is convinced Appleton has the job?
(05-22-2019, 05:49 AM)B36baggie Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 09:36 PM)MGalea Wrote: Can’t even get Appleton on some of the bookies which seems odd.

I thought the same. Scrolled down some weird & not so wonderful names on Skybet but Appleton was nowhere to be seen. Strange.

I saw that last night too

However now on the list at 5/1 on Skybet 

Grudgingly i’ve just put £10 on it because as per the original post, I think he’ll probably get it. Nowhere near my choice though.
(05-22-2019, 07:17 AM)billybassett Wrote: Can someone please tell me why, if Appleton had never played for this club at all and had no links to us, why he would be anywhere near consideration for this role?

I appreciate what you’re saying but Appy has been linked with plenty of jobs previously and now our stock has fallen we fall into the area where he would be linked anyway.

He has coached at a high level and also managed ( we know the history )

Although there aren’t that many as qualified as Appy on paper I concede there are coaches out there that would come in and do a good job but who we just don’t know enough about, background etc.

It may be that our connection to Appy could work in our favour . .
I'm on him at 33s but if it was him what would be the delay?
(05-22-2019, 08:29 AM)HeathAyIt Wrote: I'm on him at 33s but if it was him what would be the delay?

Due diligence to look at what else is around. Also as a doomed attempt to try to lessen the meltdown.
(05-22-2019, 08:29 AM)HeathAyIt Wrote: I'm on him at 33s but if it was him what would be the delay?

He’s probably the ‘if all else fails’ option
(05-22-2019, 08:26 AM)Wotty Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 07:17 AM)billybassett Wrote: Can someone please tell me why, if Appleton had never played for this club at all and had no links to us, why he would be anywhere near consideration for this role?

I appreciate what you’re saying but Appy has been linked with plenty of jobs previously and now our stock has fallen we fall into the area where he would be linked anyway.

Although there aren’t that many as qualified as Appy on paper I concede there are coaches out there that would come in and do a good job but who we just don’t know enough about, background etc.

So his record of:
Portsmouth relegated from the Championship 2011–12 season (financial issues I understand as well)
67 days at Blackburn winning 4 of 15 games (sacked)
Oxford - 13th and then promotion to League 1 and then 8th
Coach at Leicester to Shakespeare who was sacked because they were shyte

Overall win ratio of 39% ffs. I reckon there are plenty of lower league managers who've a better record than that load of old codswallop. I just don't get it. Is this really how low our stock has fallen?
(05-22-2019, 09:03 AM)billybassett Wrote:

So his record of:
Portsmouth relegated from the Championship 2011–12 season (financial issues I understand as well)

Overall win ratio of 39% ffs. I reckon there are plenty of lower league managers who've a better record than that load of old codswallop. I just don't get it. Is this really how low our stock has fallen?

Financial troubles at Portsmouth is putting it mildly. They were in meltdown.

Blackburn, IIRC was at the peak of Venky lunacy, they've calmed down since then, but again a club in a mess.

Was not sacked with Shakespeare. Stayed on under Puel and left prior to the 2018/19 season, which did not work out well for Puel.

So his record of:

Surely you know of the basket cases that he unfortunately managed. Practically impossible to come out with the clinical stats that would impress you.

We could put a negative slant on anyone if we chose.

How many times has Hughton been sacked? Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do a good job for us.
Pearson has been sacked for ‘being shyte’ and has been a twat. Again, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do a good job for us.
(05-22-2019, 09:11 AM)Wotty Wrote:

So his record of:

Surely you know of the basket cases that he unfortunately managed. Practically impossible to come out with the clinical stats that would impress you.

We could put a negative slant on anyone if we chose.

How many times has Hughton been sacked? Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do a good job for us.
Pearson has been sacked for ‘being shyte’ and has been a twat. Again, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t do a good job for us.

I refer to you to my previous post as to why he would be picked as a candidate with that record over people like:

Gary Monk - Blues
Grant McCann - Doncaster
Matt Taylor - Exeter
Daniel Stendel etc
Appy doesn't get any credit for failing at jobs that were easy to fail at. "He hasn't been proven to be completely terrible" really isn't a reason to hire someone.

Basically, Appy took a league two team to league one. That's his biggest success. He shouldn't be anywhere near the job