End of season review
For me there was an inevitability about the whole thing. Even though we were always up there it always seemed we would fail at the last hurdle. The last hurdle being the fucking villa of course was the ultimate turd in the water pipe..

I think our lack of investment, lack of vision and lack of interest from an absentee landlord , which must rub out onto the players landed us here.

My view is we will be what Mr Peace always said we were, the cunt.
(05-16-2019, 12:34 PM)LIMABAGGIE Wrote: For me there was an inevitability about the whole thing. Even though we were always up there it always seemed we would fail at the last hurdle. The last hurdle being the fucking villa of course was the ultimate turd in the water pipe..

I think our lack of investment, lack of vision and lack of interest from an absentee landlord , which must rub out onto the players landed us here.

My view is we will be what Mr Peace always said we were, the cunt.

Sadly until we Get  an owner who has a plan for the future and is prepared to invest in it instead of the usual mend and make do mindset I'm afraid you are right.
(05-15-2019, 12:38 PM)WBA Baracus Wrote: Been a very strange season for me, I watched most of it from behind a screen on Sky and streams. My worst attendance record since I started going.

In previous promotion seasons we've always had a really sense of what the team and manger were about, a style you got behind or at least understood. Megson's team, Mowbray's team, RDM's.

This year, we always had the identity of Albion of course, but never a real set style to get behind. We seemed to stumble through the season.

We had individuals papering over cracks and certainly had great moments, but I never really had an empathy with the players as a team unit. Very strange for a team pushing for promotion.

Maybe it is because I didn't attend matches, maybe because there were so many loan players, many of which didn't really feature, or were thrown in at desperate times.

Can't fault Shan, he did what he could after been pushed into a ridiculous situation. The players on the most part cared, and put shifts in, just with no overriding system meant we could never really get into our stride.

Don't know if it is just me musing, or others feel similar. A very strange season, and savage we got so close.

+1 to pretty much every word there.

I'll add that I was desperate not to lose to the Villa, pretty sure that if we had got promoted, we'd only get relegated again, but would have preferred that, just to get the filthy lucre.  Sad
(05-15-2019, 08:09 PM)Mish Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 12:38 PM)WBA Baracus Wrote: Been a very strange season for me, I watched most of it from behind a screen on Sky and streams. My worst attendance record since I started going.

In previous promotion seasons we've always had a really sense of what the team and manger were about, a style you got behind or at least understood. Megson's team, Mowbray's team, RDM's.

This year, we always had the identity of Albion of course, but never a real set style to get behind. We seemed to stumble through the season.

We had individuals papering over cracks and certainly had great moments, but I never really had an empathy with the players as a team unit. Very strange for a team pushing for promotion.

Maybe it is because I didn't attend matches, maybe because there were so many loan players, many of which didn't really feature, or were thrown in at desperate times.

Can't fault Shan, he did what he could after been pushed into a ridiculous situation. The players on the most part cared, and put shifts in, just with no overriding system meant we could never really get into our stride.

Don't know if it is just me musing, or others feel similar. A very strange season, and savage we got so close.

Empathise to a certain degree me old mucka.

This is the first season since probably 83/84 that I didn't attend any games at all (Boro was on a Friday night and on telly and we weren't playing the Mackems or the Geordies).  Once Brunt got sent off last night, I went to bed.  Partly due to having a big interview this morning and didn't want the nerves of both, but partly because I knew that the club seems bereft of direction at the moment.  If we'd have gone up, we'd have done the whole thing on the cheap again and got absolutely arse raped in the Prem.  Having said that, I couldn't fault them last night at all, but the whole squad is suffering from maybe five years of shit decision making.  Hell, the whole club is.

My overall feeling today is one of sadness.  I remember my old man telling me how he stopped caring about the dings at around my age and today was the first day that I understood what he meant.  Wasn't so long ago I was contemplating flying back from Alicante for a night league cup game at Hartlepool.  Hope I can get it back.
^ this I'm 54- used to go home and away, now barely half a dozen games a season -  had some great days following the lads, even when we were in Div 3 - as for the original post I think the writing was on the wall when Barnes left, but I've always felt it would take two seasons to turn things around, we will see. Too many loan players was always a problem, and we always looked short in the middle of the park. Appleton could do a job with a more experienced head alongside him, ultimately we are where we are, and another season in the Championship is not the end of the world.

Hope the interview went well and how come you ended up following the baggies if your old man was a W01ve5 fan!!?

My old man said be a wanderers fan I said.... you know the rest.