End of season review
(05-15-2019, 09:59 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 12:38 PM)WBA Baracus Wrote: Been a very strange season for me, I watched most of it from behind a screen on Sky and streams. My worst attendance record since I started going.

In previous promotion seasons we've always had a really sense of what the team and manger were about, a style you got behind or at least understood. Megson's team, Mowbray's team, RDM's.

This year, we always had the identity of Albion of course, but never a real set style to get behind. We seemed to stumble through the season.

We had individuals papering over cracks and certainly had great moments, but I never really had an empathy with the players as a team unit. Very strange for a team pushing for promotion.

Maybe it is because I didn't attend matches, maybe because there were so many loan players, many of which didn't really feature, or were thrown in at desperate times.

Can't fault Shan, he did what he could after been pushed into a ridiculous situation. The players on the most part cared, and put shifts in, just with no overriding system meant we could never really get into our stride.

Don't know if it is just me musing, or others feel similar. A very strange season, and savage we got so close.

Good post.  The performances being sporadic spells in games,  short termism, the shifts in formation and a real lack of a system. Even more fragmented than 06/07.  

At the end of it all we under achieved coming 4th and then not making the final. 

And other than that cheating twat on Saturday - pretty much all our own making. If we had shown the commitment of the 2 P.O. games a bit more - we would have been top 2.
TBF- and I agree in part- I think the constant extreme changes in tactics have led to players being frustrated.  e.g. During Big Dave's last game, Tosin was screaming at Dawson to get back onto the goal line to be available from a goal kick. Dawson just ignored him as he knew it was leading to us being under pressure.
(05-15-2019, 10:05 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 12:38 PM)WBA Baracus Wrote: Been a very strange season for me, I watched most of it from behind a screen on Sky and streams. My worst attendance record since I started going.

In previous promotion seasons we've always had a really sense of what the team and manger were about, a style you got behind or at least understood. Megson's team, Mowbray's team, RDM's.

This year, we always had the identity of Albion of course, but never a real set style to get behind. We seemed to stumble through the season.

We had individuals papering over cracks and certainly had great moments, but I never really had an empathy with the players as a team unit. Very strange for a team pushing for promotion.

Maybe it is because I didn't attend matches, maybe because there were so many loan players, many of which didn't really feature, or were thrown in at desperate times.

Can't fault Shan, he did what he could after been pushed into a ridiculous situation. The players on the most part cared, and put shifts in, just with no overriding system meant we could never really get into our stride.

Don't know if it is just me musing, or others feel similar. A very strange season, and savage we got so close.

Good post.  The performances being sporadic spells in games,  short termism, the shifts in formation and a real lack of a system. Even more fragmented than 06/07.  

At the end of it all we under achieved coming 4th and then not making the final. 

And other than that cheating twat on Saturday - pretty much all our own making. If we had shown the commitment of the 2 P.O. games a bit more - we would have been top 2.
TBF- and I agree in part- I think the constant extreme changes in tactics have led to players being frustrated.  e.g. During Big Dave's last game, Tosin was screaming at Dawson to get back onto the goal line to be available from a goal kick. Dawson just ignored him as he knew it was leading to us being under pressure.

The wantaway Dawson’s passing put us under more pressure than anything else
All the team were guilty of putting team mates under pressure playing out from the back , l might be old school but defenders are the to kick , head or tackle not to be the creative parts of the team . If youve got players in the side ie Koumas Gera Barnes give them the ball and they normally do the rest .

Spot on BA. Your thoughts echo mine.
(05-15-2019, 08:09 PM)Mish Wrote: Empathise to a certain degree me old mucka.

This is the first season since probably 83/84 that I didn't attend any games at all (Boro was on a Friday night and on telly and we weren't playing the Mackems or the Geordies).  Once Brunt got sent off last night, I went to bed. Partly due to having a big interview this morning and didn't want the nerves of both, but partly because I knew that the club seems bereft of direction at the moment.  If we'd have gone up, we'd have done the whole thing on the cheap again and got absolutely arse raped in the Prem.  Having said that, I couldn't fault them last night at all, but the whole squad is suffering from maybe five years of shit decision making.  Hell, the whole club is.

My overall feeling today is one of sadness.  I remember my old man telling me how he stopped caring about the dings at around my age and today was the first day that I understood what he meant.  Wasn't so long ago I was contemplating flying back from Alicante for a night league cup game at Hartlepool.  Hope I can get it back.

Hope interview went well!

This sums up what the gang of lads we go with home and away with all season have been saying and thinking. 
The club has felt fractured from top to bottom, there have been times where you thought it was starting to change (QPR away) only for the comfort blanket be snatched cruelly away.
Someone with an affinity with the club at the top will more than an accountancy agenda that can make the right footballing decisions for the club is what we need - Jenkins isn’t capable of that! He maybe fine with the finances but his decisions (and moreover non-decisions) appear to create the fractures communication and community of the club!
(05-15-2019, 10:05 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

I don’t think the extremes in style helped. But at the end of it all, most of these players haven’t applied themselves consistently or won enough football match for a while now - under 5 different managers now. 

It’s time to appoint a decent experienced manager and start a major clearout.  I’d certainly take Hughton

I said exactly this after the game on Tuesday. We did everything right in our last game that we have been getting wrong all season - being defensively solid and showing a bit of a fight. 

It might have been the incredible atmosphere/the sense of injustice/the stakes being so high or a mix of the 3, but that never-say-die attitude from Tuesday has been all too rare this season. If we'd have shown it more often then I've no doubt we'd have finished top 2.

Also - Villa had pretty their full strength team out the other night. If we'd have had ours and it was the same circumstances going into the second leg we would have blown them away.
(05-16-2019, 11:31 AM)Ishmael\s Right Foot Wrote:

I said exactly this after the game on Tuesday. We did everything right in our last game that we have been getting wrong all season - being defensively solid and showing a bit of a fight. 

It might have been the incredible atmosphere/the sense of injustice/the stakes being so high or a mix of the 3, but that never-say-die attitude from Tuesday has been all too rare this season. If we'd have shown it more often then I've no doubt we'd have finished top 2.

Also - Villa had pretty their full strength team out the other night. If we'd have had ours and it was the same circumstances going into the second leg we would have blown them away.

We had no Livermore, Barry, Robson-Kanu and Gayle. Them 4 would have been in the 18. 

Both teams we defeated Villa in the league Barry and Livermore started. Our better performances were with them two. Just disappointing we didn’t have them as options. 

Johnstone; Dawson, Bartley, Hegazi; Holgate, Livermore, Barry, Phillips, Gibbs; Rodriguez, Gayle

Options on bench would have included; Adarabioyo, Brunt, Morrison, Robson-Kanu, Harper, Murphy, Johansen etc
(05-16-2019, 11:31 AM)Ishmael's Right Foot Wrote:

The last time Villa came to the Hawthorns, we both had full strength teams, but they did look slightly the better side. This time that wasn't the case. Had Gayle been there, we'd have put several past them. Definitely shows what playing to your team's strengths can do.