Barry out
Barry
He's been largely excellent this season and I think his calmness will be missed going into the play-offs. As for his influence, both Gayle and Field have spoken about how they look up to him.

We're fortunate that both Brunt and especially Johansen have come into form now, especially the latter.
(04-18-2019, 11:14 AM)hooch0959 Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 09:24 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 08:14 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: On balance a very poor signing IMO. Replacing Fletcher on the pitch wasn't a big ask, as good old Fletch was running out of steam - Barry has been influential when he's played, but he has missed a lot of matches in his time with us. I don't believe his influence behind the scenes has been what you might expect from such a senior figure.

We'll never know how else the money might have been spent and what difference it might have made to our position, but here we are with a 38 year old looking forward to next season after another knee op. 35 year old Chris Brunt still the most influential player at the club, Livermore not far short of 30 and Mozza (soon to be 33) having rewarded us with half a dozen appearances since "proving" his fitness. It's not ideal.

Agreed

Also interesting that he has never been involved on the coaching side. Hypothetical question, but if Fletcher had been still here would he have replaced Moore?

I'd speculate that if Fletcher and Olsson were still there last season, we wouldn't have capitulated like we did

I'm not sure either of them had the legs to carry us through. But it's certainly true that the Jonny Evans who came in and made Olsson surplus to requirements had been replaced by an evil twin at some point during last season. The fact that he wasn't being picked at all towards the end was remarkable.
(04-18-2019, 01:48 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 08:14 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: On balance a very poor signing IMO. Replacing Fletcher on the pitch wasn't a big ask, as good old Fletch was running out of steam - Barry has been influential when he's played, but he has missed a lot of matches in his time with us. I don't believe his influence behind the scenes has been what you might expect from such a senior figure.

We'll never know how else the money might have been spent and what difference it might have made to our position, but here we are with a 38 year old looking forward to next season after another knee op. 35 year old Chris Brunt still the most influential player at the club, Livermore not far short of 30 and Mozza (soon to be 33) having rewarded us with half a dozen appearances since "proving" his fitness. It's not ideal.

Agreed

Also interesting that he has never been involved on the coaching side. Hypothetical question, but if Fletcher had been still here would he have replaced Moore?

I'd speculate that if Fletcher and Olsson were still there last season, we wouldn't have capitulated like we did

I'm not sure either of them had the legs to carry us through. But it's certainly true that the Jonny Evans who came in and made Olsson surplus to requirements had been replaced by an evil twin at some point during last season. The fact that he wasn't being picked at all towards the end was remarkable.

A very good point about Evans. He treated Hegazi like crap on the pitch too. Dawson has been mixed this season, but the way he partnered Hegazi through those last six matches is notable.

Again, despite the weird conspiracy theories against Brunt, it says at lot that he was able to lay into Evans post Huddersfield, despite him being an international team mate too.
(04-18-2019, 01:48 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

Agreed

Sorry Dude, I didn't actually mean on the pitch, they were both on the wane.  I meant in the dressing room, might have banged some heads together
(04-18-2019, 01:48 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

Agreed

Evans attitude and performances from February onwards were a fucking joke. That Huddersfield home game was embarrassingly poor

I think you can safely remove Livermore from that statement. Being 29 is hardly old in football terms!

Spot on re the others though!
Barry was reported to have been a free transfer, although it was thought he received a kings ransom signing on fee and a reported £80K weekly salary. Then at xmas a few stories were about that we actually paid a fee for him (£1M)
Odd how these stories come about. On a free he was VFM if we paid everything he looks expensive.
Anyway IMO he has had half a dozen good games this season, but time for him to go now - we cannot carry players.
Two most Impressive away performances Sheff U & Villa - Barry was our best player

When he’s played he’s hardly put a foot wrong, would be first name on the team sheet for me. Most of our poor performance have been when he hasn’t featured

Very good signing, shame he can’t do it again against Villa