Good footballer/Football books
After discussing the scribings of Joey "Socrates" Barton elsewhere, I wondered if anyone had any other recommendations?

Mine:

In Pastures Green by Chris Lepkowski is the obvious choice. Decently written (had to get the dictionary out twice), but I wish he'd written it chronologically rather than in interview order.

Any given Saturday by Shay Given. Surprisingly decent read this, particularly from the shift from the 90s to now. 

Tales from the Boot Camps by Steve Claridge Good insight into the life of a journeyman footballer with the occasional glimpses of glory. 

How to be a Footballer by Peter Crouch didn't need the Steven Gerrard tongue bath at the end, but an otherwise good read.

The Boy in Brazil by Seth Burkett- life in the Brazilian lower leagues. Surprisingly grim in place, but insightful.
(04-16-2019, 03:13 PM)Squid Wrote: After discussing the scribings of Joey "Socrates" Barton elsewhere, I wondered if anyone had any other recommendations?

Mine:

In Pastures Green by Chris Lepkowski is the obvious choice. Decently written (had to get the dictionary out twice), but I wish he'd written it chronologically rather than in interview order.

Any given Saturday by Shay Given. Surprisingly decent read this, particularly from the shift from the 90s to now. 

Tales from the Boot Camps by Steve Claridge Good insight into the life of a journeyman footballer with the occasional glimpses of glory. 

How to be a Footballer by Peter Crouch didn't need the Steven Gerrard tongue bath at the end, but an otherwise good read.

The Boy in Brazil by Seth Burkett- life in the Brazilian lower leagues. Surprisingly grim in place, but insightful.

The journeymen footballers often deliver - in terms of autobiographies.  SC has done 2 and both are v good. Top 5 of recent read ones - in no order

Tony cascarino
Paul Cannoville
Stan Collymore
Niall Quinn
Mick Quinn
Going back a bit!

Eamon Dunphy & Gary Nelson
The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro is pretty good. Story of how a team (equivalent to non league in England??) made it to Serie B and survived for a season.
Living On The Volcano,- Stories about football managers, can`t remember the author but a very good read.
Football Behind The Curtain, - All about football in Eastern Europe.

Years ago, read Simon Inglis, The Football Grounds of Great Britain. Still excellent.
The Simon Inglis books were excellent.

Just a shame he's a Seal!
(04-16-2019, 03:39 PM)WorcBaggie Wrote: The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro is pretty good. Story of how a team (equivalent to non league in England??) made it to Serie B and survived for a season.

Best Football book i've read. An absolute gem of a book.

Don't read often but these were all decent

Tony Cascarino
Paul Merson
Clough - Provided you don't kiss me
Lars Leese - Keeper of dreams
(04-16-2019, 03:39 PM)WorcBaggie Wrote: The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro is pretty good. Story of how a team (equivalent to non league in England??) made it to Serie B and survived for a season.

Yep was going to say this one.

Town with a population of 4,000.
+1 for How Not To Be A Professional Footballer by Paul Merson, hilarious.
Ian Holloway's autobiography, is a good read. If I recall right.
Clarnet v2.0