Harper...
He’s doing absolutely fine and has great potential. He’s a young player that did exceptionally well when he first burst onto the scene. Yes he’s had good bad and indifferent games like everyone over the last two to three months. Quite wtf some of our supporters expect of an 18yr old who has been asked to play in an unsettled midfield I’m not sure.

I don’t get some of our fans one minute they a pissing and moaning about us not giving youth a chance and then when they do get an extended run in the team questions are asked if they are that good and question their ability.

He’s a god player certainly good enough for us and the upper reaches of the Championship and time will tell if he kicks on and improves like Kane or acts like a twat and becomes Berahino.
Some very nice comments from the clubs PR officer.
(03-15-2019, 01:23 PM)Black penny Wrote: Some very nice comments from the clubs PR officer.

If you believe Gew you’ll believe anything.
(03-15-2019, 11:36 AM)Cuzer Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:55 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 11:25 PM)Cuzer Wrote: I said pre Sheff Utd he should have been left out, still best suited to cameos from the bench I feel, see QPR away and our late winner

Has a lot to learn, offers very little to nothing when we don’t have the ball, badly exposed by both Leeds and especially Sheff Utd at home

Bags of potential but not a Championship standard player yet for me

Cuzer

I agree that cameo roles are ones that he should be used for at the moment, but he has shown that he is capable of coming on for 30 mins here and there without the wheels falling off .

As an aside is it just this board or the fan base as a whole, but we seem very unsupportive of our own produced players.

I really disagree, I think we're desperate for our own to succeed, I'd love nothing more than Ferguson, Harper, Edwards, Leko, Tulloch, Rogers to play week in week out, would give you, or certainly me, an immense sense of pride knowing they've come through out acadamy form a young age, however currently none of them are good enough to start week in/week out with the strength we have in the squad from others

Cuzer

I don't doubt that you do - you have constantly championed using young players where appropriate.

But I think some seem less keen .
(03-15-2019, 01:17 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: He’s doing absolutely fine and has great potential. He’s a young player that did exceptionally well when he first burst onto the scene. Yes he’s had good bad and indifferent games like everyone over the last two to three months. Quite wtf some of our supporters expect of an 18yr old who has been asked to play in an unsettled midfield I’m not sure.

I don’t get some of our fans one minute they a pissing and moaning about us not giving youth a chance and then when they do get an extended run in the team questions are asked if they are that good and question their ability.

He’s a god player certainly good enough for us and the upper reaches of the Championship and time will tell if he kicks on and improves like Kane or acts like a twat and becomes Berahino.

On the whole, I tend to agree.

I think playing in that overexposed midfield three has done him no favours whatsoever with the odd exception. I saw on Wednesday night us tucking both our two wide players in on occasions, often making a midfield four, with Harper then advancing and looking to close down the opposition higher up the pitch. I`d like to see him given a run in this role and see what comes of it and perhaps develops, aided and supplemented by some good coaching on the training ground to prepare him for what's expected from his performances on a match day.

Perhaps in a roundabout way, I`m trying to say he`s possibly been mismanaged?
(03-15-2019, 02:02 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 01:17 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: He’s doing absolutely fine and has great potential. He’s a young player that did exceptionally well when he first burst onto the scene. Yes he’s had good bad and indifferent games like everyone over the last two to three months. Quite wtf some of our supporters expect of an 18yr old who has been asked to play in an unsettled midfield I’m not sure.

I think playing in that overexposed midfield three has done him no favours whatsoever with the odd exception. I saw on Wednesday night us tucking both our two wide players in on occasions, often making a midfield four, with Harper then advancing and looking to close down the opposition higher up the pitch. I`d like to see him given a run in this role and see what comes of it and perhaps develops, aided and supplemented by some good coaching on the training ground to prepare him for what's expected from his performances on a match day.

The issue with him in that No10 role for me is that he doesn't seem to see the right pass yet. From what I've seen of him he gets caught between two minds and delays a quick pass. This will obviously come with time but is another point in the arguement that he is a long way from the finished article. Even at championship level.

He's a really good prospect but imo he'd be totally lost in the prem next season. I include playing for us there too. if we are lucky enough to go up this season who see's him as being a first team starter? Not me.
(03-15-2019, 02:11 PM)Peachy Wrote:

The issue with him in that No10 role for me is that he doesn't seem to see the right pass yet. From what I've seen of him he gets caught between two minds and delays a quick pass. This will obviously come with time but is another point in the arguement that he is a long way from the finished article. Even at championship level.

He's a really good prospect but imo he'd be totally lost in the prem next season. I include playing for us there too. if we are lucky enough to go up this season who see's him as being a first team starter? Not me.

Which brings us onto the question; What type of midfielder is Harper? - What does these good prospect attribute`s need to be moulded and developed into?

An all-encompassing box to box midfielder.
One that you can send out to boss, work and take control in the centre.
A player that can break from midfield and is capable of joining in as a No10.
Or one that should be more disciplined anchoring and screening the defence.

My point is, we don`t seem to know ourselves, at least not me.
(03-15-2019, 02:35 PM)Sandking Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 02:11 PM)Peachy Wrote:

Which brings us onto the question; What type of midfielder is Harper? - What does these good prospect attribute`s need to be moulded and developed into?

An all-encompassing box to box midfielder.
One that you can send out to boss, work and take control in the centre.
A player that can break from midfield and is capable of joining in as a No10.
Or one that should be more disciplined anchoring and screening the defence.

My point is, we don`t seem to know ourselves, at least not me.

Its a good point Sandy. He's already been converted from a striker to a midfielder by all accounts. For me he'll be a driving midfielder. Bit of shooting practise and he'll polish up nicely. 

Don't see him as a holder and not cute enough for an out and out play maker likes Greasy Grealish.
He's not very mobile which I think will limit him. He has a future as a defensive midfielder as he's strong, composed and can pass. Spends a lot of time walking around and has no goal threat.

He's doing well but he wouldn't get in the Leeds or Norwich side which says it all.

This exactly. Like all young players though, he needs resting here and there. We probably over played him and he has looked jaded now and again. When our senior midfielders have struggled to create anything, it seems ridiculous to single Harper out.
FWIW, I think he will be a Championship, poss Prem level player for some time.