According to the Perce
(03-11-2019, 01:57 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:22 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Neil would be a great appt after this next one has gone tits up. He isnt however a roll-of-the-dice can you get us up in 13 games sort of appointment. If we were thinking long term we already had the right man in place.

Can’t agree, there’s no evidence to suggest Moore would be the right man long term. Plus no clubs look long term these days anyway.

True. Managers have a 1 to 3 year shelf life. Either poached by another club or sacked.
(03-11-2019, 02:02 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:22 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Neil would be a great appt after this next one has gone tits up. He isnt however a roll-of-the-dice can you get us up in 13 games sort of appointment. If we were thinking long term we already had the right man in place.

Can’t agree, there’s no evidence to suggest Moore would be the right man long term. Plus no clubs look long term these days anyway.

There is no evidence to suggest that he would be the wrong man either. He was a rookie manager, naive in some decisions but he was learning and working very hard at it.

None of us can see the future.

Exactly. I was just pointing out the statement that we had the right man for long term was not a fact.

Disagree that he was learning. He didn’t seem to learn.
(03-11-2019, 02:07 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

True. Managers have a 1 to 3 year shelf life. Either poached by another club or sacked.

Spot on.  No club these days will take a medium-term or long-term view unless they absolutely have to due to their financial circumstances.   Ironically, it’s what the vast majority should be doing regardless!
(03-11-2019, 01:48 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:45 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Can we just have a pragmatic manager like Roy Hodgson who will play to the squads strengths please. It doesn’t have to be complicated, aesthetically beautiful, a project or a philosophy just s manager managing resources.

Care to inform us what this entails with this squad.

I only ask as we made a virtue of keeping the 'premiership' squad together (although they lost their right to be called a premiership squad as they were relegated). And it would seem both Pulis and Pardew failed to play to the squad's strengths.

So enlighten as to what the new man needs to do to get the best out of the squad.

Open football where we play slow one paced football until we lose the ball and at the same time instruct Dawson and Bartley etc to pass like Man City players

That would be a "no idea" then Dekka?  

Very easy to say "play to the squads strengths" but it appears very difficult for you to name what any of these strengths are.
(03-11-2019, 02:57 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Can we just have a pragmatic manager like Roy Hodgson who will play to the squads strengths please. It doesn’t have to be complicated, aesthetically beautiful, a project or a philosophy just s manager managing resources.

I only ask as we made a virtue of keeping the 'premiership' squad together (although they lost their right to be called a premiership squad as they were relegated). And it would seem both Pulis and Pardew failed to play to the squad's strengths.

So enlighten as to what the new man needs to do to get the best out of the squad.

Open football where we play slow one paced football until we lose the ball and at the same time instruct Dawson and Bartley etc to pass like Man City players

Very easy to say "play to the squads strengths" but it appears very difficult for you to name what any of these strengths are.

Nah bear with off for a late lunch I will reply properly later

Ok CA it was a very long lunch, but since you asked...

Approach:

We have solid central defenders who are good at defending in a solid team structure. They struggle if they are left isolated, high up the pitch or asked to play out from the back. So I would ask them to keep it simple and not take needless risks. Defend first and foremost and don’t push too far forward. 

Play four or five in midfield we can have a solid base in midfield and with the wingers and forward we have still offer enough of a threat to beat most if not any team in the league. Not to mention the fact that Holgate and Gibbs can easily get back and forward to support both defence and attack.

Get the ball forward quicker particularly down the channels perhaps if there is room even over the top rather than ponderously try and hope that the opposition suddenly fall into our cunning trap of allowing us space as we tease them out due to our tactic of faffing about at the back. 

Our strengths are we have excellent strikers, wingers and supporting fullbacks to have a great counter attacking team that keeps it defensive shape when out of position. 

I’m thinking RH not TM.
(03-11-2019, 09:24 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Approach:

We have solid central defenders who are good at defending in a solid team structure. They struggle if they are left isolated, high up the pitch or asked to play out from the back. So I would ask them to keep it simple and not take needless risks. Defend first and foremost and don’t push too far forward. 

Play four or five in midfield we can have a solid base in midfield and with the wingers and forward we have still offer enough of a threat to beat most if not any team in the league. Not to mention the fact that Holgate and Gibbs can easily get back and forward to support both defence and attack.

Get the ball forward quicker particularly down the channels perhaps if there is room even over the top rather than ponderously try and hope that the opposition suddenly fall into our cunning trap of allowing us space as we tease them out due to our tactic of faffing about at the back. 

Our strengths are we have excellent strikers, wingers and supporting fullbacks to have a great counter attacking team that keeps it defensive shape when out of position. 

I’m thinking RH not TM.

We don't have a MAF or Odem type to be the one if we play five in midfield in a 451.

We don't have the midfielders to play 4 in a 442

We don't have the left sided CH to play in a 352

If it really was shit or bust this season Moore should've been backed on the Mings loan when we were in the box seat but baulked at the £1m fee. We'd be playing 352 with JRod and Gayle up top as a pair. We needed a LCH more than two wingers.
(03-11-2019, 09:30 PM)Statto Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:45 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Care to inform us what this entails with this squad.

Approach:

I’m thinking RH not TM.

We don't have a MAF or Odem type to be the one if we play five in midfield in a 451.

If it really was shit or bust this season Moore should've been backed on the Mings loan when we were in the box seat but baulked at the £1m fee. We'd be playing 352 with JRod and Gayle up top as a pair. We needed a LCH more than two winger
Statto why ? just why ?

"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius" / "Derek Hardballs"
(03-11-2019, 11:50 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 09:30 PM)Statto Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:48 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Open football where we play slow one paced football until we lose the ball and at the same time instruct Dawson and Bartley etc to pass like Man City players

Approach:

I’m thinking RH not TM.

If it really was shit or bust this season Moore should've been backed on the Mings loan when we were in the box seat but baulked at the £1m fee. We'd be playing 352 with JRod and Gayle up top as a pair. We needed a LCH more than two winger
Statto why ? just why ?

"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius" / "Derek Hardballs"

You know attributing the quote to me doesn’t actually imply i’m wrong don’t you? 

There’s no evidence to suggest we cannot play four or five in midfield just one persons opinion. Let’s see what the new manager employs when he (eventually) gets here.
Fair play for at least responding.

We have no chance with the current midfielders of playing 2 in the middle. We get over run very often with 3 - which 2 could do that job?

The biggest issue I have with your summation is that you want us to be a counter attacking team. RH struggled at home with that style in the PL, when most teams tipped up to our place thinking they could roll us over. This season most teams have been happy to sit back from the off and take a point. We have to take the game to them more so and be a bit more inventive. That's the reason behind the playing out and enticing them out, we're "supposed" to beat their press and then play in the space this provides. Not been happening mainly because the defenders aren't consistently capable. Teams have started pressing us because they've cottoned on to the fact we're shit at playing out. Ipswich front 3 pressed and the rest stood on the half way line so there was still very little space to go long.

We also don't really possess the forward who can play up top alone and be the focal point of the attack. MAF did this excellently for RH.

We have a group of very good players, what we don't have from them is a team with much flexibility. No Left sided CB to play 3, this is obvious and watching Bartley or Tosin try to do that is painful. Maybe Barry could play there, I'm not sure.

So, it has to be 4 at the back and I reckon we almost all agree on Holgate-Dawson-Hegazi-Gibbs. Of late I'd question Dawson's position, but I think that's more application than ability.

I can't see any combination of our central midfielders that results in playing 2 in the middle. Livermore, Barry & Field don't\can't get around the pitch and don't get ahead of the ball. Morrison and Harper don't do enough off the ball which leaves Johansen, interestingly his best position is supposedly the attacking one in a midfield 3.

So we go with 5, presumably Phillips on the right? Who plays left?

Which one of our forwards will play up top alone - neither JRod or Gayle have shown an ability to play the lone striker role. Unless you'd bench the pair and put HRK up front?

I forgot Brunt from the midfield - I think that probably says it all. Never been a CM and he's not going to start now he's 32/33. Maybe in front of Gibbs and let him do all the running for him and sit-in to cover him?

For me, we have to play 5 in the middle as we get over run otherwise, ideally 3 at the back too as we simply don't have the forward to play 1. The problem, as highlighted, being we don't have a LCB. The 3 at the back and fannying around at the back aren't connected. SGM played 3 and he certainly didn't do so. 2 up top would allow Jrod and Gayle to see if they can work as a pair.

My biggest gripe is that we have to play at a much higher tempo, you don't have to have pace (although we have a few) to play quick football. Pass the ball quicker, get it wide early and go at teams. I think, again, we don't have the drive from central midfield to do this.

We have a legacy from Tony fucking Pulis of midfielders all wanting to sit behind the play and not commit or move too far.

All of this is why we're better away from home. We haven't yet adapted to being a team that's expected to dominate and be the aggressor to win, we're still in the underdog mode as if it's the PL. The onus, especially at home, is on us to attack teams and get at them.

So I think we have a good squad of individuals, on a par with pretty much any on the league, which is where some peoples criticism of BD comes in. I don't believe they've been moulded into a team. The squad is missing this ingredient and I'm not sure if BD didn't spot this or simply wasn't given the funds\freedom to do so. Remember he was working without a DoF or a scouting network of any note for his first ever job.