A question of principle
The only ones twisting themselves in knots will be the government and the EU. There is no practical need for the Protocol whatsoever. The risk to the EU is absolutely minimal.

It's purely political. But the point of this thread is, yet again - to illustrate the double standards of the EU. They're perfectly happy for Germany to directly contravene sanctions to buy Russian gas, yet exercising a provision in the NI Protocol is apparently beyond the pale.

Every single day I thank the British public for voting us out of the EU. At least it's being exposed for what it actually is - a protectionist racket dominated by a tiny cabal of big states who will do whatever they want to, even if it means providing succour to tyrants.
You do realise that Germany and the EU are different don’t you?
(05-20-2022, 06:32 PM)Protheroe Wrote: The only ones twisting themselves in knots will be the government and the EU. There is no practical need for the Protocol whatsoever. The risk to the EU is absolutely minimal.

It's purely political. But the point of this thread is, yet again - to illustrate the double standards of the EU. They're perfectly happy for Germany to directly contravene sanctions to buy Russian gas, yet exercising a provision in the NI Protocol is apparently beyond the pale.

Every single day I thank the British public for voting us out of the EU. At least it's being exposed for what it actually is - a protectionist racket dominated by a tiny cabal of big states who will do whatever they want to, even if it means providing succour to tyrants.

Nonsense
(05-21-2022, 06:53 AM)baggy1 Wrote: You do realise that Germany and the EU are different don’t you?

Yes, but EU sanctions are meant to apply to all member states.

(05-21-2022, 10:25 AM)Pontificator Wrote:
(05-20-2022, 06:32 PM)Protheroe Wrote: The only ones twisting themselves in knots will be the government and the EU. There is no practical need for the Protocol whatsoever. The risk to the EU is absolutely minimal.

Nonsense

Which part, exactly? The "risk" to the EU? The contravention of EU sanctions by a member state? The legal exercising of a provision within the Protocol?
(05-21-2022, 10:33 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 06:53 AM)baggy1 Wrote: You do realise that Germany and the EU are different don’t you?

Yes, but EU sanctions are meant to apply to all member states.

(05-21-2022, 10:25 AM)Pontificator Wrote:

Nonsense

Which part, exactly? The "risk" to the EU? The contravention of EU sanctions by a member state? The legal exercising of a provision within the Protocol?

So what you are saying is there is no need for a border at all and if there is it should favour the UK. Isn't this what is called cakeism? ie nonsense

Germany is not the EU. I think they realise that to rely on energy from Russia was a huge error and they need some time to correct it. It's an Alfetta analogy ie nonsense

"Every single day I thank the British public for voting us out of the EU. At least it's being exposed for what it actually is - a protectionist racket dominated by a tiny cabal of big states who will do whatever they want to, even if it means providing succour to tyrants" patent drivel ie nonsence

The Johnson government's oven ready deal was signed in bad faith and the cynical threatened unilateral use of the provision proves it. Oven Ready Deal - nonsence 
I don't believe you answered any of the questions, but thanks for your opinion nevertheless.