Derby...Again
(01-15-2022, 11:29 AM)SussexBaggie Wrote: My ancestor investigated and reported on the finances & fraud at Derby County Football Club in 1890,.. "kept in a very loose and unsatisfactory manner".

That was before Making Tax Digital.  Or spreadsheets.
No sympathy from me for their fans. They would have enjoyed the fruits of their financial mismanagement if they had got promoted ... you must reap what you sow. Doesn't always work though does it? I mean those cunts down the road ... if only ...cheating scum.
(01-15-2022, 11:39 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: No sympathy from me for their fans. They would have enjoyed the fruits of their financial mismanagement if they had got promoted ... you must reap what you sow. Doesn't always work though does it? I mean those cunts down the road ... if only ...cheating scum.

Would our fans have been different? Would any fans be any different. I look at Derby and think that could have been the Albion and that most of our fans would have been thoroughly enjoying the party until it all went wrong.

The part I find chilling, is that if Derby had beaten the Seals, none of this would have happened. All of this, like so much financial misery in football has its roots in the chasm between the Premier League and the rest of the EFL. A chasm related mainly to TV money from companies which care nothing for the matchday fan and make it harder to attend games. If anyone hasn't read Can We Have Our Football Back? By John Nicolson, I recommend it.
(01-15-2022, 12:02 PM)Squid Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 11:39 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: No sympathy from me for their fans. They would have enjoyed the fruits of their financial mismanagement if they had got promoted ... you must reap what you sow. Doesn't always work though does it? I mean those cunts down the road ... if only ...cheating scum.

Would our fans have been different? Would any fans be any different. I look at Derby and think that could have been the Albion and that most of our fans would have been thoroughly enjoying the party until it all went wrong.

The part I find chilling, is that if Derby had beaten the Seals, none of this would have happened. All of this, like so much financial misery in football has its roots in the chasm between the Premier League and the rest of the EFL. A chasm related mainly to TV money from companies which care nothing for the matchday fan and make it harder to attend games. If anyone hasn't read Can We Have Our Football Back? By John Nicolson, I recommend it.

Exactly this. 

However I've no real sympathy for Derby. Other clubs have got promoted with less than they had, and without going into so much debt. Spent money yes, but nowhere near that level of Spunkery. Mel Morris gambled and failed, and left a right mess behind him.
(01-15-2022, 12:02 PM)Squid Wrote:

Unfortunately that disparity is what has allowed us to “over achieve” relative to our levels of investment for the last 2 decades so it’s not an easy problem to solve.

Fans are relatively powerless in this instance - I’m sure in and amongst the Derby fans there will have been some who were unhappy with Morris’s gamble and cavalier approach to FFP and HMRC, but much like the sheer volume of Seals who lack the humility to realise they were hours away from liquidation, the vast majority will have been applauding an ambitious owner.

HMRC in a rock and a hard place. They do a deal and open the floodgates, or they go hardball knowing the club go under and they don’t see a penny.
Fuck em!
We're being linked with three of their players but not the one I hope we would be...
(01-15-2022, 01:25 PM)Hopalong Wrote: We're being linked with three of their players but not the one I hope we would be...

Curtis Davies, Phil Jagielka and Kazim Richards probably
I thought Ashley was Spunking £50M to sort it all out? Must admit I'm out of touch with the present situation.
(01-15-2022, 02:23 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: I thought Ashley was Spunking £50M to sort it all out? Must admit I'm out of touch with the present situation.

That would suffice if it wasn’t for the legal actions by Boro and Wycombe.  It doesn’t cover those. That’s the problem.