Green Agenda / Policies
(01-14-2022, 06:56 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 10:19 AM)Sotv Wrote: Until we understand that we need to consume less instead 

Stick your hair shirt up your arse. Seriously.

I will not deny me or my family the pleasures of life in a vain attempt of making a minuscule and ultimately futile contribution to preventing a modest and manageable problem.

Tell the emerging Chinese, Indian and Nigerian middle class to consume less and they'll rightly laugh in your face.

Maybe make small changes though such as not buying plug in air fresheners which are made with plastic, chemicals and use electricity to run when they simply aren't needed. Then again, if pointless things like this can still be bought, maybe the situation on planet earth isn't that big a deal?
Perhaps, if the world population hadn’t doubled in the last 50 years the situation wouldn’t be as dire as we are told.

Perhaps we could have less people like the pope tell those who chose to have pets instead of children that they are selfish and others not to use contraception things won’t be quite so bad.
(01-15-2022, 08:42 AM)JOK Wrote: Perhaps, if the world population hadn’t doubled in the last 50 years the situation wouldn’t be as dire as we are told.

Perhaps we could have less people like the pope tell those who chose to have pets instead of children that they are selfish and others not to use contraception things won’t be quite so bad.

What do you plan on doing? Institute a mass cull? Travel back in time to stagnate birth rates?
Birth rates are falling on their own, overpopulation is another catastrophe that'll never manifest itself. There really is nothing to see here.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lance...2/fulltext
(01-14-2022, 10:19 AM)Sotv Wrote: Until we understand that we need to consume less instead 

I will not deny me or my family the pleasures of life in a vain attempt of making a minuscule and ultimately futile contribution to preventing a modest and manageable problem.

Tell the emerging Chinese, Indian and Nigerian middle class to consume less and they'll rightly laugh in your face.

Lol, what hair shirt is that then? 
If you think consumption is the key to happiness you will never be truly happy. Genuine and lasting happiness cannot be found in the impermanent, by thinking that you are buying and wearing your own hair shirt.  
Maybe after the emerging Chinese, Indian and Nigerian middle classes have consumed as much as we have for as long as we have, they will see the emptiness inherent in such an approach to life.
(01-15-2022, 01:33 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Birth rates are falling on their own, overpopulation is another catastrophe that'll never manifest itself. There really is nothing to see here.

Life expectancy is falling too, thanks to 12 years of Tory spite
(01-15-2022, 10:58 PM)Baggybenny Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 01:33 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Birth rates are falling on their own, overpopulation is another catastrophe that'll never manifest itself. There really is nothing to see here.

Prior to Covid, life expectancy was no longer rising substantially in the UK. That's not the same as life expectancy falling.
(01-16-2022, 03:10 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 10:58 PM)Baggybenny Wrote:

Prior to Covid, life expectancy was no longer rising substantially in the UK. That's not the same as life expectancy falling.
You don't deny the Tory spite bit, then?
That’s your opinion which I neither share nor care about. The stats are the facts.
(01-15-2022, 04:21 PM)Sotv Wrote:

Lol, what hair shirt is that then? 
If you think consumption is the key to happiness you will never be truly happy. Genuine and lasting happiness cannot be found in the impermanent, by thinking that you are buying and wearing your own hair shirt.  
Maybe after the emerging Chinese, Indian and Nigerian middle classes have consumed as much as we have for as long as we have, they will see the emptiness inherent in such an approach to life.

Falls off chair, I completely agree. The pursuit of wealth and material goods to bring happiness is a vacuous pursuit. Not surprised Proth thinks otherwise.