First post in a while….
(01-03-2022, 04:19 PM)wba13 Wrote: I can’t be bothered with some fans negativity,  agreed some don’t like his style but in a lot of cases it’s those same fans who loved us at the start of the season, we have to give Ismael a chance to show how is style works once he has all the correct players he wants in the right positions. This will not be until at least after next Summer’s transfer window.  I think Dyke will be a big asset into how Ismael wants to play up front.agreed we need a creative spark in midfield things will also improve once O’Shea is back.

Sheffield Utd game was excellent. 
Luton game was excellent until that huge delay. 

No issue - thoroughly enjoyed the intensity.  Not seen it since.  Same players. Same manager. Same crowd.
Ronnie, you're an intelligent bloke and know your onions

Do you not see the opposition are completely changing how they play against us since Luton, Sheff Utd etc? Milwall and Peterborough were the two to start it and I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying with the exception of Blackpool, where we created loads, and Fulham who are a good side, every team we've played has gone 3 centre halves against us and matched us up?

Now, you're right to say the onus is on us to change our approach and to me we have, initially VI was all about press, harry, husstle, win the ball high, make it unfomfortable for the opposition however now we get 50-60% possession pretty much every game, sides sit off us, give our three front players no space to run in behind and allow our midfield two and wing backs to have the ball as our creativity is pretty poor from these areas
We are a lot more patient in our build up, certainly play more football than Barnsley ever did, the general feeling of the Cov fans I was with when we went there was Albion were the best side to go their this season, for me we're not a million miles away, Dike will help massively and if we can get a central midfielder in to work with Mowatt this will help our creativity. I'd also like to see Phillips given a go at RWB, especially at home

I've never known our fan base so split and unsuportive as we are currently, this isn't just down to Val for me, it's anger at last season, bringing Sam in who was unpopular, getting rid of Bilic without backing, overlooking Wilder due to Lai then not backing Val in the summer, bringing in tripe like Hugill, average players such as Reach and Moloumby, we all see the league is shite and we all see we're struggling in 4th when we really should be in the top 2

Part of me feels for Val as he's never quite had the backing of the fans, we liked it early but as soon as we drew a few we quickly got frustrated and our support level dwindled, in volume if not in numbers

I've had a lot of frustrations this season and at times I've been unhappy but I'm still behind Val, let's judge at the end of this window and next season whatever league we're in when he's had a full summer and a window to get players in he wants. Defensively we're decent, we've a keeper who doesn't really want to be here and we should cash in, we now have a number 9 and a saleable asset moving forward given his age and potential, we have some good youth players who Val has shown will get opportunities, we have all sides throughout the club playing the same system, a lot of positives are overlooked, it's hard at times but keep the faith would be my message

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
Agree with a lot of that Cuzer.
Not sure being in the top 3 for the majority of the season, and still being in with a shout of promotion, can be defined as horrific. No matter what you think of Val and the style, this is incorrect.
Clarnet v2.0
(01-03-2022, 04:43 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Ronnie, you're an intelligent bloke and know your onions

Do you not see the opposition are completely changing how they play against us since Luton, Sheff Utd etc? Milwall and Peterborough were the two to start it and I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying with the exception of Blackpool, where we created loads, and Fulham who are a good side, every team we've played has gone 3 centre halves against us and matched us up?

Now, you're right to say the onus is on us to change our approach and to me we have, initially VI was all about press, harry, husstle, win the ball high, make it unfomfortable for the opposition however now we get 50-60% possession pretty much every game, sides sit off us, give our three front players no space to run in behind and allow our midfield two and wing backs to have the ball as our creativity is pretty poor from these areas
We are a lot more patient in our build up, certainly play more football than Barnsley ever did, the general feeling of the Cov fans I was with when we went there was Albion were the best side to go their this season, for me we're not a million miles away, Dike will help massively and if we can get a central midfielder in to work with Mowatt this will help our creativity. I'd also like to see Phillips given a go at RWB, especially at home

I've never known our fan base so split and unsuportive as we are currently, this isn't just down to Val for me, it's anger at last season, bringing Sam in who was unpopular, getting rid of Bilic without backing, overlooking Wilder due to Lai then not backing Val in the summer, bringing in tripe like Hugill, average players such as Reach and Moloumby, we all see the league is shite and we all see we're struggling in 4th when we really should be in the top 2

Part of me feels for Val as he's never quite had the backing of the fans, we liked it early but as soon as we drew a few we quickly got frustrated and our support level dwindled, in volume if not in numbers

I've had a lot of frustrations this season and at times I've been unhappy but I'm still behind Val, let's judge at the end of this window and next season whatever league we're in when he's had a full summer and a window to get players in he wants. Defensively we're decent, we've a keeper who doesn't really want to be here and we should cash in, we now have a number 9 and a saleable asset moving forward given his age and potential, we have some good youth players who Val has shown will get opportunities, we have all sides throughout the club playing the same system, a lot of positives are overlooked, it's hard at times but keep the faith would be my message

Cuzer

I’ll always go. 
I’ll always support. 

What you say for the most part I agree with. However sides have sussed us out….. it’s down to us to take the game to the opposition. 

For example yesterday first half.  Mowatt and Livermore…..
Livermore did ok…. He freed up Mowatt on 5/6 occasions.  Mowatt hid behind players and didn’t want the ball.  At times he was alongside Bartley as an extra centre half. 

A good coach watches opposition….. a good coach adjusts especially away from home to the team they’re playing against.  The championship for us at the hawthorns gives the impression that it’s littered with good coaches…. They come to the hawthorns and match us up.  Many even do it on their own patch.   We don’t have an answer, sorry we haven’t had an answer on many occasions. 

Going home and away has been a slog this season.   We’re so predictable and it’s been horrible to watch. 

Like I’ve said if it’s horrible and we’re winning regularly I’d shut up…. But we’re not so it’s double pain.
(01-03-2022, 04:43 PM)Cuzer Wrote: Ronnie, you're an intelligent bloke and know your onions

Cuzer

That's a very positive interpretation of the current situation. We should all be positive. But I don't quite fit the profile you've outlined above.

I didn't much like Bilic - I didn't see much of the good stuff 'cos it wasn't easily available, but watching the Baggies post-lockdown was appalling. I wouldn't have backed him with more cash for signings. He should have been fired before the Premier League season started.

I didn't object to the appointment of Sam. I thought the players were unprofessional at best, and Allardyce turned out to be past it in every way, which with hindsight was a big risk to take.

I wasn't sold on Wilder, but I'll admit that the block by Lai was unusual and unhelpful.

I think Reach is quality, and would like to see him play more. Molumby has potential and should get more game time ahead of Livermore. In a side note about midfield, I'm struggling to see Mowatt as the answer to anything much, it's all a bit "emperor's new clothes" for me.

Which forwards (apart from Dike) were we chasing? Yes, Hugill turned out to be a turkey, but what else was on the menu?

Where am I heading with this waffle? I'm heading towards the Wallwork/Ferenc point of view. My dissatisfaction with Ismael is based on what I've seen him do, not on a cocktail of gripes with the club's behaviour over the last couple of years. He's on trial as far as I'm concerned, he needs to get better results out of these players and soon.
(01-03-2022, 03:56 PM)RonnieWallwork Wrote: I want VI gone. 

Sh** to watch.
Create very little (don’t give me that expected goals stat!).
Formation doesn’t suit what we have in squad.
Points tally is way off what it should be. 
We’re one dimensional. 
Crowds dropping - yes covid to blame for some but others are voting with feet. 
Home crowd more disillusioned than in a long time. 
Away crowd (which I love!) is turning.
Discipline gone to pot! Starts with the manager and he was a disgrace yesterday. 

25 games in and it’s been horrific this season. 

I don’t know what the answer is, that’s not my job, but I’ve had enough of VI. 

Up the baggies!

+1
Can anyone point me to one time this season that our manager has influenced a game to go in our favour? Either tactically, making a substitute or changing formation.
(01-03-2022, 05:16 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Can anyone point me to one time this season that our manager has influenced a game to go in our favour? Either tactically, making a substitute or changing formation.

In fairness yes. 

Sheffield Utd at home 
Blackpool at home. 

Got it bang on from the off…… 

Since then…..I’m struggling. 

People will rightly say some of our second half performances have been much better and won us points but they weren’t necessarily down to ‘changes’…….bollockings maybe? Tiredness of opposition maybe?  Yes….. but tactical switches….. no.
I've no real gripes with the 'system' or Val. I'm happy if i see a team going out to be positive, to win games. We clearly do that. I have an issue with our lack of ability to convert posession into chances and goals. Thats not the fault of the 'system'. We get into good areas often enough.

I've seen every style and system since Brian Talbot. I care not a jot how we do it. I enjoyed Ossie, Bilic, Megson, Harford, Mogga, Hodgson and others. All different, but they sent us out to win. I hated Pulis as he was happy not to lose.

This is why i'm willing to give Val time. A few correct additions to this squad, combined with its admirable attitude, could see us okay.