Ashes
England have got to trust their bowling can bring them back into the game. Leaving BOTH Broad and Anderson out looks even more critical now. Weather may intervene but that should not excuse poor management if England draw or even win!
"Room for improvement"
Years of neglecting the county red ball game in favour of the T20, and now the Hundred, have affected the Test side for years, now. But this series will seriously highlight how far England are behind their rivals.

Maybe yet another hammering down under will trigger the ECB to review their cricket strategy, and make moves to improve the domestic county game, so that we can compete when we tour the likes of Australia and India.

I will not hold my breath. The ECB is a complete shambles.

I accept touring is, and always will be, the most difficult Test, but we are getting whitewashed on four or five match series far too often.
Clarnet v2.0
(12-08-2021, 08:29 AM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Years of neglecting the county red ball game in favour of the T20, and now the Hundred, have affected the Test side for years, now. But this series will seriously highlight how far England are behind their rivals.

Maybe yet another hammering down under will trigger the ECB to review their cricket strategy, and make moves to improve the domestic county game, so that we can compete when we tour the likes of Australia and India.

I will not hold my breath. The ECB is a complete shambles.

I accept touring is, and always will be, the most difficult Test, but we are getting whitewashed on four or five match series far too often.

We get hammered down under every four years and it never changes anything. The last hammering we took down there seemed to inspire the Hundred, so who knows what comes next.
(12-08-2021, 08:17 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: "Room for improvement"

Morning, Mr Understatement. Big Grin

FWIW I didn't bother with even the first 30mins. Glad i was already in the land of nod by then.
rsbaggy2 Wrote:England have got to trust their bowling can bring them back into the game. Leaving BOTH Broad and Anderson out looks even more critical now. Weather may intervene but that should not excuse poor management if England draw or even win!

Optimist of the year award goes to this post.
I genuinely thought our best chance this series would be to escape here with a rain affected draw and go into the day/nighters hoping we grow into the series. Sadly, I see a repeat of the 2006/7 tour, bad captaincy, bad selections and not good enough all round. at least I'm not there to witness it this time.
(12-08-2021, 09:26 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
rsbaggy2 Wrote:England have got to trust their bowling can bring them back into the game. Leaving BOTH Broad and Anderson out looks even more critical now. Weather may intervene but that should not excuse poor management if England draw or even win!

I genuinely thought our best chance this series would be to escape here with a rain affected draw and go into the day/nighters hoping we grow into the series. Sadly, I see a repeat of the 2006/7 tour, bad captaincy, bad selections and not good enough all round. at least I'm not there to witness it this time.

I try to be positive when it comes to England and cricket!
(12-08-2021, 10:41 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 09:26 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:

I try to be positive when it comes to England and cricket!

Said RS…….never  Big Grin

I think the Broad issue is fitness, they clearly want both Broad and Anderson fit for the 2nd day/night test

He’s had so little bowling since that calf injury I personally don’t  think he’s fit yet and those extra 5 days will help both him and Jimmy with a few more miles in the legs

I do think England have looked at the forecast and hoped they can come out of this with a draw before going all out for the day/night text, being skittles for less than 150 makes that a tad harder mind….

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
I think the shock waves that seemed to go through the commentating community on the news that Broad was omitted shows how these guys are too close to the players to see the bigger picture. Whilst Broad had a storming time of it in the 2019 Ashes at home, that's 2 years ago, 2 years in which he's had some injury problems. His bowling record in Australia is very poor, 34 wickets at 37 runs each. Neither he nor Anderson offers anything at all in the field or with the bat these days. Ollie Robinson can provide the same style of bowling as Broad and he is definitely the future. So the notion that either Broad or Anderson should be automatic first pick for Australian conditions at their age is crazy. Time doesn't stand still, even for legends.

I think Rory Burns is getting off lightly, under cover of underwhelming batting all down the order. He a left hander, bowled round his legs by a left arm over the wicket quick. Not a huge leg break from a man who would go on to take 600+ wickets (as with Mike Gatting) but a straight ball which Starc probably thought was too leg side. That is basic batting, page one of the book, cover your leg stump with your pads. Absolutely pathetic, set the scene for his mates to wobble, and most of them did.
Agree with everything you have said there Chesh, I’ve little interest in this series as I said when the squad was announced that it has 5-0 written all over it, without doubt this is the worst English Test batting line up since I began watching cricket in the early 80’s