Boris on drugs
He must be if he thinks reverting to a 1980's US style policy is going to work.

Middle-class drug users could lose UK passports under Boris Johnson’s plans | Drugs | The Guardian
Most the dinner parties I attend would be miles better if I was on drugs in fairness.
Seems to have worked so well in the US
Stupid is as stupid does.
On one hand the Goverment doesn't appear to have understood that increased punishments, extra funding to drug enforcement agencies does not lead to a decrease in drug crime.

On the other hand if you are going to maintain the policy of criminalizing the drug trade, then it is only right that all participants are treated as criminals. 

Too many end users seem to believe that what they do is a victimless crime, but a cursory look back over the supply lines that led to them using, will have involved lots of victims.

Personally I am in favour of legalising both drug use and its supply. But whilst it is still illegal then the user should be seen as much a criminal has those involved in its supply.
(12-06-2021, 02:28 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: On one hand the Goverment doesn't appear to have understood that increased punishments, extra funding to drug enforcement agencies does not lead to a decrease in drug crime.

On the other hand if you are going to maintain the policy of criminalizing the drug trade, then it is only right that all participants are treated as criminals. 

Too many end users seem to believe that what they do is a victimless crime, but a cursory look back over the supply lines that led to them using, will have involved lots of victims.

Personally I am in favour of legalising both drug use and its supply. But whilst it is still illegal then the user should be seen as much a criminal has those involved in its supply.
Your point about the supply chain is very true and something that always irked me about some of my mates. I’ve got a mate who is your typical hipster, harping on about fair trade etc but thinks nothing of shoving coke up his nose despite me pointing out the violence and exploitation involved in the trade to him. 
You are spot on about legalizing supply as well, it’s barmy to allow criminal gangs to still control production and supply if we are going to legalize use. 
The revenues and business opportunities gained by legalizing cannabis as well as freeing up police and court resources are too big to be ignored imo.
(12-06-2021, 10:13 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 02:28 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: On one hand the Goverment doesn't appear to have understood that increased punishments, extra funding to drug enforcement agencies does not lead to a decrease in drug crime.

Your point about the supply chain is very true and something that always irked me about some of my mates. I’ve got a mate who is your typical hipster, harping on about fair trade etc but thinks nothing of shoving coke up his nose despite me pointing out the violence and exploitation involved in the trade to him. 
You are spot on about legalizing supply as well, it’s barmy to allow criminal gangs to still control production and supply if we are going to legalize use. 
The revenues and business opportunities gained by legalizing cannabis as well as freeing up police and court resources are too big to be ignored imo.

Until the 30's drug (ab)use was viewed as a health problem not a legal one.  Essentially it should still be.  Legalising drugs is the most simple and financial rewarding decision any government could make.  It's dinosaurs that keep it illegal.
(12-07-2021, 10:16 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Until the 30's drug (ab)use was viewed as a health problem not a legal one.  Essentially it should still be.  Legalising drugs is the most simple and financial rewarding decision any government could make.  It's dinosaurs that keep it illegal.

And here we are fighting the wars of the 1980s again.
Which drugs are we talking about here? Crack, Heroin, Spice, Angel Dust (showing my age)? I am always intrigued to read the argument for legalising all drugs by the same people who do not like paying taxes for public services. Who is going to mop up the mess left behind by those who get addicted to these drugs? Who is paying for the rehabilitation if they become addicted? Who is paying the social workers to look after kids that are being ignored because parents are too fecked to care? Who is stopping them break the law to feed an addiction? Who is paying for the health care? You can argue that these things are happening now but will they given our unhealthy relationship with pretty much any drug be it legal or not see a reduction in drugs use?

As a nation we have a really problematic relationship with alcohol and recreational drugs any cursory knowledge / experience of going out at night to pretty much any town or city in the country on the weekend will show this. Just look at the state of the Euro's and England fans, hammered and coked up causing danger to themselves and everyone else around them. I don't believe giving the green light to legalisation will see any real positive difference in our behaviour as a nation and I cannot see consumption going down either, if anything I can see it going up. We don't do the civilised glass or two of wine with our meal well, what makes us think as a nation we are mature enough to take drugs responsibly?

The only benefit and it's a big one I agree is taking the production out of the hands of the gangs but they will find other things to do / sell, people to exploit, terrorise that aren't on the legal list.
(12-07-2021, 12:40 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Which drugs are we talking about here? Crack, Heroin, Spice, Angel Dust (showing my age)?  I am always intrigued to read the argument for legalising all drugs by the same people who do not like paying taxes for public services. Who is going to mop up the mess left behind by those who get addicted to these drugs? Who is paying for the rehabilitation if they become addicted? Who is paying the social workers to look after kids that are being ignored because parents are too fecked to care? Who is stopping them break the law to feed an addiction? Who is paying for the health care?  You can argue that these things are happening now but will they given our unhealthy relationship with pretty much any drug be it legal or not see a reduction in drugs use?

As a nation we have a really problematic relationship with alcohol and recreational drugs any cursory knowledge / experience of going out at night to pretty much any town or city in the country on the weekend will show this. Just look at the state of the Euro's and England fans, hammered and coked up causing danger to themselves and everyone else around them. I don't believe giving the green light to legalisation will see any real positive difference in our behaviour as a nation and I cannot see consumption going down either, if anything I can see it going up. We don't do the civilised glass or two of wine with our meal well, what makes us think as a nation we are mature enough to take drugs responsibly?

The only benefit and it's a big one I agree is taking the production out of the hands of the gangs but they will find other things to do / sell, people to exploit, terrorise that aren't on the legal list.

People are going to take drugs regardless, heroin and coke being illegal hasn't stopped there use. Coke is arguably easier to get than a pack of fags. Legalising means to manage addiction (controlled doses to wean people off), decriminalising use of all drugs, safe consumption rooms, drugs testing etc would do a lot more good than what we've done over the last 70 years.