Laurie BBC article
(10-14-2021, 07:46 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: Let's not allow the manner of his leaving taint the wonderful memories he left us. Without doubt the best player I have seen adorn the stripes. Tragic how his life ended.

As is always the case, I didn't really follow his career once he'd gone. A combination of prejudice, extreme bad luck and his own flamboyant character seems to have derailed his career in a tragic waste of talent. Dying in a drink-drive accident leaves an unfortunate impression of a complex personality.

He was a magical component in a team with at least a couple of others who would also be great if they were playing today. As a club we couldn't think big enough to keep that side together.

That's why criticism of Jezza Peace seems so odd to me. The gang that ran the Albion right through the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s treated it like a gentleman's club, run on a shoestring for their own entertainment. It was a miracle we won any trophies at all, or hung on in the top league for so long. Bobby Robson was always very critical of the state of the club when he joined in 1956, hoping to win trophies. He returned to Fulham in 1962 for double the wages.
(10-14-2021, 09:19 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 07:46 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: Let's not allow the manner of his leaving taint the wonderful memories he left us. Without doubt the best player I have seen adorn the stripes. Tragic how his life ended.

As is always the case, I didn't really follow his career once he'd gone. A combination of prejudice, extreme bad luck and his own flamboyant character seems to have derailed his career in a tragic waste of talent. Dying in a drink-drive accident leaves an unfortunate impression of a complex personality.

He was a magical component in a team with at least a couple of others who would also be great if they were playing today. As a club we couldn't think big enough to keep that side together.

That's why criticism of Jezza Peace seems so odd to me. The gang that ran the Albion right through the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s treated it like a gentleman's club, run on a shoestring for their own entertainment. It was a miracle we won any trophies at all, or hung on in the top league for so long. Bobby Robson was always very critical of the state of the club when he joined in 1956, hoping to win trophies. He returned to Fulham in 1962 for double the wages.

Really good post Chesh.

Most fans are numbskulls and they decide on someone to blame for the fact their team isn't the top team in the land and it's the same at all clubs.

I had some dealings with a senior Albion director in the 90s and it was as you say, like some old boys clubs for proper Black Country business men who've earnt a few bob.

Peace, and Thompson before him really changed the club- they got rid of the masonic culture. I heard Tom Silk who was killed tragically young was a real visionary and would have changed us hugely- maybe the demise of the late 80s wouldn't have happened if he had lived.

As it is Peace did a great job making us an established Prem side. Many fans begrudge him his money, but that was what the business is about, and gave us our most stable years in three decades. We had a spine of players that hung about like Brunt, Morrison, Foster, Ollson who we held onto for years.

An Albion of the calibre a decade ago would be able to hold onto Sam Johnstone, who will probably walk out for nothing even if we go up, as he wants to play for an established Prem team.
(10-14-2021, 10:02 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 09:19 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

Really good post Chesh.

Most fans are numbskulls and they decide on someone to blame for the fact their team isn't the top team in the land and it's the same at all clubs.

I had some dealings with a senior Albion director in the 90s and it was as you say, like some old boys clubs for proper Black Country business men who've earnt a few bob.

Peace, and Thompson before him really changed the club- they got rid of the masonic culture. I heard Tom Silk who was killed tragically young was a real visionary and would have changed us hugely- maybe the demise of the late 80s wouldn't have happened if he had lived.

As it is Peace did a great job making us an established Prem side. Many fans begrudge him his money, but that was what the business is about, and gave us our most stable years in three decades. We had a spine of players that hung about like Brunt, Morrison, Foster, Ollson who we held onto for years.

An Albion of the calibre a decade ago would be able to hold onto Sam Johnstone, who will probably walk out for nothing even if we go up, as he wants to play for an established Prem team.

Not a lot in there that I disagree with, Spandau. 

The only thing I would counter with is that Tony Hale actually loaned the club a significant amount of money, when we desperately needed it. Peace ran a very tight and successful ship, but invested very little of his own cash. He took a salary, and the club purchased a significant amount of shares and cancelled them, to increase JRP's shareholding. 

The thread is on Laurie, though. I was fortunate enough to be a kid with a season ticket at the time, and he was magical. I don't think at my age I appreciated I was watching a player (and a team) that probably wouldn't be bettered for WBA in my lifetime.
Sounds KKC that we are of a similar vintage. I think the team of 78-81 was lost on us as kids. I guess we thought it'd be always like that.
When we went down in 86 I never could have imagined that I'd be in my mid 30s before I'd even see us in the top division.
Cunningham was bewilderingly good. He's a tragic tale.
(10-14-2021, 11:08 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Sounds KKC that we are of a similar vintage. I think the team of 78-81 was lost on us as kids. I guess we thought it'd be always like that.
When we went down in 86 I never could have imagined that I'd be in my mid 30s before I'd even see us in the top division.

Well, that team almost certainly would have won the league had it not been for a huge freeze that meant almost no games were played for two months.  I might be misremembering but I'm sure our first game back afterwards was Liverpool away - and they were top with us still just a few points, maybe even less behind.  I went with a girlfriend and we got beat 2-1.  From then on I think the challenge stuttered until Forest overtook us on the last day so that we ended up 3rd.  But as I say, my memory is shit.
(10-14-2021, 11:12 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 11:08 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Sounds KKC that we are of a similar vintage. I think the team of 78-81 was lost on us as kids. I guess we thought it'd be always like that.

Well, that team almost certainly would have won the league had it not been for a huge freeze that meant almost no games were played for two months.  I might be misremembering but I'm sure our first game back afterwards was Liverpool away - and they were top with us still just a few points, maybe even less behind.  I went with a girlfriend and we got beat 2-1.  From then on I think the challenge stuttered until Forest overtook us on the last day so that we ended up 3rd.  But as I say, my memory is shit.
Your memory serves you well on this occasion. That Forest game was a sickener as we would have at least finished 2nd only to let in a late goal.

I do wonder though if we would have won the title. I don't think we would have. Liverpool got 68 points, which was a then record under the 2pts for a win system.

We would have certainly got more than 60, which Villa won the title with 2 years later.

In many a season we would have won the league for sure. Fortune just didn't smile on us in that 78-81 era.
(10-14-2021, 08:43 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Laurie the most talented Albion player I've seen. My old man who dates back to the 1940s watching us agrees (although Ronnie Allen is still his favourite player). For all round ability I still think Bryan Robson is the best Albion player I've seen though.

I never realised you were a fan of Laurie.
Laurie was the best.

Cyrille remains my favourite, I'm still in love with Len Cantello, there are legends (Bomber and the King) and even some notable latter-day 'greats'.

Laurie was the best I've ever seen.
(10-14-2021, 12:37 PM)ericlegrisly Wrote: Laurie was the best.

Cyrille remains my favourite, I'm still in love with Len Cantello, there are legends (Bomber and the King) and even some notable latter-day 'greats'.

Laurie was the best I've ever seen.

Agree with all those plus I always liked Ally Brown,always seemed to go under the radar a bit,but a great foil for others aroun him.
Slightly off topic, but at the end of the article it says the statue of the Three Degees is outside The Hawthorns. Is that right? If so, I missed the unveiling.