Better pay and conditions
I read all the time on here, that the reason we don't have enough people from the UK to do X, Y, Z jobs is because the jobs don't pay enough and or the conditions aren't good enough. Can I ask who are going to do these jobs? If you put wages up in these 'undesirable sectors' then are those who can, want and are skilled enough to do those jobs will move from the jobs they are doing now. This doesn't solve anything, it simply moves the problems around different sectors. I don't believe that there are enough people within the UK in the places / locations that need these jobs that can do them over the short and even medium term. This isn't just a case of paying a little bit more for our shopping or pint of lager it's a fundamental problem. Taking away freedom of movement from those who freely came to the country to work cannot be solved by half measures of three month visa's and the like. Either those in power admit we need 'unskilled' labour (it was always skilled just didn't pay £30k a year) or they carry on stubbornly hiding behind ideological excuses why this isn't the case, whilst reality points to the fact we do. 

We set sail on the 'Good Ship' Brexit seemingly without any realistic route planned on how to find a solution to these fairly obvious problems that were pointed out to those who told us we had, had enough of experts but were ignored.
And here is the other issue, the theory that people will just pay more only stands true for essential goods and services, perfect example is going on at the moment with petrol prices going up but people will pay because they need fuel to get around. However, if prices for hotels as an example start to go up because the staff need more pay to get them into the role then people simply will look elsewhere - because we live in a global economy and it would cost less to go to Greece as it would Bournemouth then guess where people will go, and then guess what will happen to that hotel.
(09-28-2021, 01:07 PM)baggy1 Wrote: And here is the other issue, the theory that people will just pay more only stands true for essential goods and services, perfect example is going on at the moment with petrol prices going up but people will pay because they need fuel to get around. However, if prices for hotels as an example start to go up because the staff need more pay to get them into the role then people simply will look elsewhere - because we live in a global economy and it would cost less to go to Greece as it would Bournemouth then guess where people will go, and then guess what will happen to that hotel.

Hotels are also used for business and conferences for an overnight ot two ypou know as bread an butter, not just holidays.  They are also great for using the bog impromptu  if you get caught needing the facilities - nip in the hotel as if on business and then, after the bog visit, wander out nonchantly, looking at watch and phone as if expecting a colleague.  Then toddle off, relieved and comfortable.  Don't do this at the Dorchester if you are dressed like a typical baggie.  Scruffy git; you will be denied access.
'tis a fair point well made - who was it that famously (or not so, apparently) was accosted upon leaving the facilities by a doorman explaining this is a members club and replied something along the lines of 'this isn't just a toilet then?' in fokelore?
(09-28-2021, 03:35 PM)baggy1 Wrote: 'tis a fair point well made - who was it that famously (or not so, apparently) was accosted upon leaving the facilities by a doorman explaining this is a members club and replied something along the lines of 'this isn't just a toilet then?' in fokelore?

Well, surely the user of the facilities was in contact with a 'member'.

(09-28-2021, 01:07 PM)baggy1 Wrote: And here is the other issue, the theory that people will just pay more only stands true for essential goods and services, perfect example is going on at the moment with petrol prices going up but people will pay because they need fuel to get around. However, if prices for hotels as an example start to go up because the staff need more pay to get them into the role then people simply will look elsewhere - because we live in a global economy and it would cost less to go to Greece as it would Bournemouth then guess where people will go, and then guess what will happen to that hotel.

People seem more than happy to pay small fortunes to buy coffee and sandwiches and McDonalds for breakfast now, I’d hardly class them as essential.  

Anyway, we have been told we can’t go to Greece cuz were 'not in the union', unless we pay an exorbitant fee and spend an inordinate amount of time on paper work to get a visa.
(09-29-2021, 08:57 AM)JOK Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 03:35 PM)baggy1 Wrote: 'tis a fair point well made - who was it that famously (or not so, apparently) was accosted upon leaving the facilities by a doorman explaining this is a members club and replied something along the lines of 'this isn't just a toilet then?' in fokelore?

People seem more than happy to pay small fortunes to buy coffee and sandwiches and McDonalds for breakfast now, I’d hardly class them as essential.  

Anyway, we have been told we can’t go to Greece cuz were 'not in the union', unless we pay an exorbitant fee and spend an inordinate amount of time on paper work to get a visa.

Big Grin

and - I'm putting that down to covid. I'm off for a weekend in Malaga and you would think I was relocating to Australia with the amount of paperwork I've just had to complete.
(09-29-2021, 10:17 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 08:57 AM)JOK Wrote:

Big Grin

and - I'm putting that down to covid. I'm off for a weekend in Malaga and you would think I was relocating to Australia with the amount of paperwork I've just had to complete.

Dear Baggy1 - just back from what may be my favourite city abroad (at the end of 12 days around Spain).  At least you won't have to do a Covid test on returning after the 4th October as me and the missus did. The paperwork was a pain but we managed to get it done in around an hour.  As to the pre-flight test we found out that almost all hotels can recommend where to have it done locally and cheaper than we did at Malaga airport two days before leaving, so no panicking required. Enjoy!  Cool
Cheers BB, unfortunately I'm coming back on the 3rd so have still got to go through the faff -we did look to stay for an extra night but the €400 for the night charge they wanted put me off (flights were surprisingly free to change through Ryanair)

Really looking forward to some rooftop bars, tapas, and sunshine for a few days. Staying at the Mirimar (posh ay it) so I'm not expecting to get the game on in the bar on Friday night Big Grin
Try eating at the Meson de Cervantes. Absolutely top notch restaurant for food and not at all poncey. A delight as are the lovely staff. As for Tapas, very hard to go wrong. A city in which it’s hard to get a bad dish and near impossible to get a bad drink.
(09-29-2021, 05:53 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Try eating at the Meson de Cervantes. Absolutely top notch restaurant for food and not at all poncey. A delight as are the lovely staff. As for Tapas, very hard to go wrong. A city in which it’s hard to get a bad dish and near impossible to get a bad drink.

How about a bad haircut?