Better pay and conditions
I'm taking that with me just in case
(09-29-2021, 05:53 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Try eating at the Meson de Cervantes. Absolutely top notch restaurant for food and not at all poncey. A delight as are the lovely staff. As for Tapas, very hard to go wrong. A city in which it’s hard to get a bad dish and near impossible to get a bad drink.

Great shout BB, got in there last night on your recommendation and had a fantastic night. Cheers for that!  Cool
Excellent! Pissing down here and very envious!?
(09-28-2021, 10:26 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I read all the time on here, that the reason we don't have enough people from the UK to do X, Y, Z jobs is because the jobs don't pay enough and or the conditions aren't good enough. Can I ask who are going to do these jobs? If you put wages up in these 'undesirable sectors' then are those who can, want and are skilled enough to do those jobs will move from the jobs they are doing now. This doesn't solve anything, it simply moves the problems around different sectors. I don't believe that there are enough people within the UK in the places / locations that need these jobs that can do them over the short and even medium term. This isn't just a case of paying a little bit more for our shopping or pint of lager it's a fundamental problem. Taking away freedom of movement from those who freely came to the country to work cannot be solved by half measures of three month visa's and the like. Either those in power admit we need 'unskilled' labour (it was always skilled just didn't pay £30k a year) or they carry on stubbornly hiding behind ideological excuses why this isn't the case, whilst reality points to the fact we do. 

We set sail on the 'Good Ship' Brexit seemingly without any realistic route planned on how to find a solution to these fairly obvious problems that were pointed out to those who told us we had, had enough of experts but were ignored.

Companies have had 5 years to prepare for the end of FoM. 5 years.

That's 5 years to examine their operations. 5 years to borrow at the lowest interest rates in history to invest in automation and other productivity improvements. 5 years to convince their existing staff and new entrants to the labour market that it's worthwhile working for them (pay and conditions). 

Any business that has failed to plan for this eventuality is getting everything they deserve. It's not the first time I have stated that businesses that can ONLY make a profit by paying poverty rates ought not to be in business. A bit of creative destruction would be good for all of us. Not more visas.
Quote:"I've given you the most important metric which is, never mind life expectancy, never mind cancer outcomes, look at wage growth." 

[Image: FAwgg3KXMAcQ5-_?format=jpg&name=900x900]

This is from your glorious leader… this countries leadership couldn’t get more crass! You’re still going to vote for him though… cuz well you don’t know anymore but, but, Labour! When I say you I’m referring to those that seemingly will excuse him and his party anything, whilst trying to convince themselves without any proof that things would be worse under a different party. The argument is getting weaker every day.
Derek Hardballs Wrote:
Quote:"I've given you the most important metric which is, never mind life expectancy, never mind cancer outcomes, look at wage growth." 

[Image: FAwgg3KXMAcQ5-_?format=jpg&name=900x900]

This is from your glorious leader… this countries leadership couldn’t get more crass! You’re still going to vote for him though… cuz well you don’t know anymore but, but, Labour! When I say you I’m referring to those that seemingly will excuse him and his party anything, whilst trying to convince themselves without any proof that things would be worse under a different party. The argument is getting weaker every day.

Johnson really couldn't  are less about the mess we have as long as his cult followers and client media still keep him in power.
What a shambolic, idiotic, lying fool we have leading (I use that term lightly) our once great nation. Sad
Brexiteer logic: 

‘Inevitably, Brexit is now simultaneously nothing to do with our various shortages (which are bad) *and* the reason for our various shortages (which are good).’ James O’Brien

Whether this is by design or desperation a bit of both I suspect, it’s the kind of drivel i’ve come to expect.