Sorry, but this Manager ain't right for us....
It takes time to bed in a new system. Look how many games it took BFS to implement a fairly basic system of play last year (i.e. defend in numbers, deeply, and try to hit on the break).

Val is trying to implement a system that, as i see it, has 3 key philosophies:

Defensive third: No messing. Clear it, boot it, get it out of there. Push out. Quick.

Middle third: Close down, deny space, hard tackling, swarm over them. Don't stop.

Attacking third: Get the ball down, play, utilise our skilful players. Don't waste an opportunity to get the ball in the box. Press high if opposition play out.

So its 3 philosophies in one really. Hard to get right, great when it works, frustrating if it doesn't. We must also remember that there is an opposition, hell-bent on stopping us. One of the three 'philosophies' might not be something the opposition will allow us to do, most likely in the attacking third. Hence the 'Plan B' of a target man in Hugill. If we can't play football through them, pass it long, get it down and then play. 

Players are also having to learn all this whilst playing twice a week mostly, with very little time on the training pitch, in what is probably the most competitive and relentless league in Europe.

I've been frustrated at times this season, but i can see the progress, especially against QPR and 2nd half v Derby. Just be a bit patient i guess. Keep the faith.

Just my onions. Big Grin
(09-27-2021, 06:55 PM)MrFizz Wrote: It takes time to bed in a new system. Look how many games it took BFS to implement a fairly basic system of play last year (i.e. defend in numbers, deeply, and try to hit on the break).

Defensive third: No messing. Clear it, boot it, get it out of there. Push out. Quick.

Middle third: Close down, deny space, hard tackling, swarm over them. Don't stop.

Attacking third: Get the ball down, play, utilise our skilful players. Don't waste an opportunity to get the ball in the box. Press high if opposition play out.

So its 3 philosophies in one really. Hard to get right, great when it works, frustrating if it doesn't. We must also remember that there is an opposition, hell-bent on stopping us. One of the three 'philosophies' might not be something the opposition will allow us to do, most likely in the attacking third. Hence the 'Plan B' of a target man in Hugill. If we can't play football through them, pass it long, get it down and then play. 

Players are also having to learn all this whilst playing twice a week mostly, with very little time on the training pitch, in what is probably the most competitive and relentless league in Europe.

I've been frustrated at times this season, but i can see the progress, especially against QPR and 2nd half v Derby. Just be a bit patient i guess. Keep the faith.

Just my onions. Big Grin

Excellent post mate.
Mr Fizz is right in his summary.

Personally, I think we'll shit house our way to promotion.

AFC Bournemouth and AFC Wacko Jacko Statue are our main rivals but we know they have a soft underbelly.
(09-27-2021, 06:55 PM)MrFizz Wrote: It takes time to bed in a new system. Look how many games it took BFS to implement a fairly basic system of play last year (i.e. defend in numbers, deeply, and try to hit on the break).

Just my onions. Big Grin

Fantastic post.
(09-25-2021, 09:49 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: the Players don't play for him out of respect for him, they play cos they'm shit scared of him imo ! Not good for a football club ! However we'm top of the League at the moment, and that can't be denied, and nobodys happier than me, but will it last ? I think not ! I watched Jimmy Morrison's face at the final whistle last night, while Val's cronies  were mobbing him,  Jimmy stood there taking it all in, and I thought yes, Jimmy you know the truth son, don't ya? The games changed, most footballers these days are wealthy young men, and won't  take too much bollocking.
  I hope I'm wrong, only time will tell.             ps Remember Jimmy Hagan's little kerfuffle  Wink .

You seem a bit of a plonker
(09-27-2021, 07:45 PM)Madness Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 09:49 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: the Players don't play for him out of respect for him, they play cos they'm shit scared of him imo ! Not good for a football club ! However we'm top of the League at the moment, and that can't be denied, and nobodys happier than me, but will it last ? I think not ! I watched Jimmy Morrison's face at the final whistle last night, while Val's cronies  were mobbing him,  Jimmy stood there taking it all in, and I thought yes, Jimmy you know the truth son, don't ya? The games changed, most footballers these days are wealthy young men, and won't  take too much bollocking.
  I hope I'm wrong, only time will tell.             ps Remember Jimmy Hagan's little kerfuffle  Wink .

As you are a Senior member, whether in age or membership, I would be very happy to meet you in open discussion, face to face and it would soon become apparent, who the plonker is.  Name the time and place, Mouth! ps I'm near Stourbridge.

Just my onions. Big Grin

There have been plenty of times when first time crosses haven't come it but that's as much to do with someone not being there as it is intentional delays. But pretty balanced and reiterates the point that you can't have everything but at least get as much as you can from the resources available.
Quite right Ferenc. Some think t'internet is a good excuse to be rude.

And here's the thing, ferenc has forgotten more about football that most of us will ever know. He's entitled ton an opinion based on a lifetime of experience very close to the game. Now, I personally don't think he's right on this point and like he says, time will tell, but there are plenty on here that can be called plonker, or worse, but ferenc deserves everyones respect and I think an apology, quick sharpish, is in order.
(09-28-2021, 04:02 PM)baggy1 Wrote:

And here's the thing, ferenc has forgotten more about football that most of us will ever know. He's entitled ton an opinion based on a lifetime of experience very close to the game. Now, I personally don't think he's right on this point and like he says, time will tell, but there are plenty on here that can be called plonker, or worse, but ferenc deserves everyones respect and I think an apology, quick sharpish, is in order.

Brown-nosing b*stard. You're only saying that so you might ask to use his gaff in Florida  Wink