Highlight of Pulis’s reign?
(02-02-2019, 11:29 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Pigeon you seem to think I care what you think. You could always state how biased BT Sports is again, that was interesting.

Decka, it's pretty obvious, you don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks.  Big Grin
The 3-1 against Swansea was good. As was the 3-2 against Palace.
(02-02-2019, 12:26 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 10:52 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote: One that will always stick in my mind, was the Man Utd 0 - 1 in the 15/16 season. I was prawn sandwiching.

We had 8 defensive players in the starting 11! The Myhill save from Van Persie, the Olsson deflected goal, reached the 40 point mark, 20% possession!

Several Baggies hammered drunk, me included in Knights Lounge, lots of miserable looking toff Utd fans. Great day!

There's not that many to chose from really.

There were a number of good results and some of them were even so good I felt we deserved it rather than being fortunate  - winning by snatch and grab, defending for 90% of the game and time wasting. But as you say not many to pick - most performances left you dissatisfied win lose or draw because it was so dire. The wins against the big clubs stand out because the negative approach had justification. But it also showed how good the squad was and how unjustified it was to be negative every game.

And you could see that we would be in the same position how ever much TP spent as that was all he seemed to know. I still can't believe we appointed him given his reputation football wise and in terms of his character - lost us support even when our league position was decent and we were the only West Midlands club in the league. 

Put us on a path for the drop and no one was sorry to see us go. A shame - DM is doing a good job to reverse the trend and feel of the place but so much damage has been done. Let's hope the club never make a mistake that bad again.

We were going down before he arrived the road to relegation was long and winding not a straight highway to hell. The squad wasn’t great it was bang average and the season we finished 9th we squeezed the pips out of the 14 or so players we had to achieve that position. Also there were several good performance and results along the way. 

This is what I mean by rewriting history.
(02-02-2019, 10:52 AM)SausEggBaton Wrote: One that will always stick in my mind, was the Man Utd 0 - 1 in the 15/16 season. I was prawn sandwiching.

We had 8 defensive players in the starting 11! The Myhill save from Van Persie, the Olsson deflected goal, reached the 40 point mark, 20% possession!

Several Baggies hammered drunk, me included in Knights Lounge, lots of miserable looking toff Utd fans. Great day!

There were a number of good results and some of them were even so good I felt we deserved it rather than being fortunate  - winning by snatch and grab, defending for 90% of the game and time wasting. But as you say not many to pick - most performances left you dissatisfied win lose or draw because it was so dire. The wins against the big clubs stand out because the negative approach had justification. But it also showed how good the squad was and how unjustified it was to be negative every game.

And you could see that we would be in the same position how ever much TP spent as that was all he seemed to know. I still can't believe we appointed him given his reputation football wise and in terms of his character - lost us support even when our league position was decent and we were the only West Midlands club in the league. 

Put us on a path for the drop and no one was sorry to see us go. A shame - DM is doing a good job to reverse the trend and feel of the place but so much damage has been done. Let's hope the club never make a mistake that bad again.

....and that is not re-writing history. One of the main reasons I thought we should've had no more than 18 months with him. Such a divisive character. Which is something we knew before he came and planned for.

(02-02-2019, 12:42 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

We were going down before he arrived the road to relegation was long and wind not a straight highway to hell. The squad wasn’t great it was bang average and the season we finished 9th we squeezed the pups out of the 14 or so players we had to achieve that position. Also there were several good performance and results along the way. 

10th. All a matter of opinion Derek, but we finished on 45 points, which I thought was about par for the first 11 - 14 players we had (and no cup run in either competition). We all know though that league position can alter wildly for teams outside the top 8. 
There was  a time when we looked like breaking the 50 point barrier and 8th position (even 7th at one stage) looked on, but we tailed off badly after Feb which was typical of a Pulis team. Now that would've been an over achievement if that had happened.
(02-02-2019, 12:44 PM)tiptontown Wrote:

....and that is not re-writing history. One of the main reasons I thought we should've had no more than 18 months with him. Such a divisive character. Which is something we knew before he came and planned for.

We were going down before he arrived the road to relegation was long and wind not a straight highway to hell. The squad wasn’t great it was bang average and the season we finished 9th we squeezed the pups out of the 14 or so players we had to achieve that position. Also there were several good performance and results along the way. 

10th. All a matter of opinion Derek, but we finished on 45 points, which I thought was about par for the first 11 - 14 players we had (and no cup run in either competition). We all know though that league position can alter wildly for teams outside the top 8. 
There was  a time when we looked like breaking the 50 point barrier and 8th position (even 7th at one stage) looked on, but we tailed off badly after Feb which was typical of a Pulis team. Now that would've been an over achievement if that had happened.

You have to put his employment into context though. The club was a complete shambles when he arrived, just look at the squad he inherited from the Burton and Irvine era. Barely any resale value, no coaches that hadn’t been discredited and a team only heading one way... down. Who else was there to keep us up that season? Who could have done better position wise the next? DM himself says he gave the club structure again and results for two thirds of his time with us. He should have gone earlier but the choice of coaches / managers at the time who were better placed to keep us up could be written on a postage stamp.
(02-02-2019, 01:09 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:

Well we were not definitely going down under Irvine (as TP argues we werent when he was sacked - and we were looking far more ready for the drop then despite all he spent). But Irvine was another bad Peace appointment.

I did acknowledge some good results and performances above if you read back - but far too few of the latter - hence fans turning away. As to rewriting history, you had us 8th under TP for ages, then and now 9th. It was 10th. 

For someone who constantly complains about not letting facts get in the way I am surprised you continually misquote this stat. Since we got to 40 points early that season I can see how the mistake would be made - how could we have fIrished the season so miserably? The Pulis effect perhaps.

Also you say others are obsessed but you don't care what they think. Yet you seem to be on every TP thread caring very much to show you are right and they are wrong. 
I think you care and obsess up there with the best of them and are still trying to prove you are right about your managerial hero - and I also think you rewrite history with the best.* 

*daft phrase anyway - history is very much a matter of opinion and is always being rewritten with new stats or new interpretations of existing ones. 

When it suits for example saying the squad is brilliant or that it is average or poor - all subjective. For example, you say how good it is and we should be doing better as a stick to beat DM with, but play down the squad Pulis had and built to overplay our achievement of finishing 13th/14th/10th (or 8th/8th/9th for you) and make excuses for his taking us down

Not saying I am not as bad - but you recognise this on others and not yourself it seems

I have never slated DM all I have said is our squad for the Championship is good enough for the top two.
Him and his touchline staff all wearing the brightest white giant trainers known to humanity. Really made me laugh.
Away from the 4-0 against West Ham, which was very good (and I think Pulis in the cup was a different manager to Pulis in the league)

I liked some of the away performances in the season Leicester won the league. Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea were all very good performances.
(02-02-2019, 01:09 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 12:44 PM)tiptontown Wrote:

You have to put his employment into context though. The club was a complete shambles when he arrived, just look at the squad he inherited from the Burton and Irvine era. Barely any resale value, no coaches that hadn’t been discredited and a team only heading one way... down. Who else was there to keep us up that season? Who could have done better position wise the next? DM himself says he gave the club structure again and results for two thirds of his time with us. He should have gone earlier but the choice of coaches / managers at the time who were better placed to keep us up could be written on a postage stamp.

Never disputed we were a mess and he did well to keep us up that season, altogether with his brand of football. 
Other clubs though have managed to survive in similar trouble without having to resort to Pulis. Southampton for example seem to pull a rabbit out the hat at times. This is my issue, I didn't want him in the first place. Can't stand his percentages football and the players he likes to sign to fit his football. That is an whole different issue though with our recruiting department (including managers) going to shit. 
After all that, watching mainly pretty boring football we still ended up in the Championship, with a downward trend started by Pulis.
Just hope the hierarchy at the club have got their act together now regarding recruitment.
(02-02-2019, 01:38 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: This mess story gets worse and worse with each telling - you'd think we were over achieving under Irvine to be outside the relegation zone and he was unlucky to be sacked - especially as he had had so little time and input on the squad. 

Of course at the time most (including the board) thought we were capable of much more and it was right to part company. The average results were not much better for a while but we finished the season well - Irvine might say he could have achieved as much if allowed to stay. 

Of course the truth is the squad was good enough to be in the prem and Irvine was underachieving and we finished in about the place we expected before the season started.

Tell me one player that we bought that season in the summer that went on to better things.