Chesham ans Amersham
(06-18-2021, 09:41 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: These things happen at bu elections, particularly to the zLib Dems.

That said the Conservatives need to be a bit careful with some of their traditional areas of support.

Parents and their children will start to notice how difficult it is for the children to achieve the economic security their parents have. They will increasingly ask the economic policies of the Govt serving my economic interests and come to the conclusion they are not.

Also I wonder if the culture wars the Govt keep wanting to fight will impress the younger voters in these areas. I suspect not.

correct in this being the kind of thing that happens in by elections. I'm not sure many are that sold on Labour's economic vision, the party seem to be playing a game of "lets wait for the tories to fuck up" despite seeing them fuck up repeatedly and it not having any positive impact on where they are in the polls.
The idea its the Tories who started fighting culture wars is laughable, do you have internet access?
(06-18-2021, 05:34 AM)tiptontown Wrote: Thought it might be worth a mention that the Tories have lost this by election.
Are the electorate starting to turn on these bunch of shysters we have in charge?

Lib Dems deal major blow

Whatever gives you hope, Captain.

But this was won because of Lib Dem opposition to HS2 and a proposed new housing development. John Curtice, a man who knows his psephology, just said that it was an election won on local issues.

Ed Davey weakly hitting a few bricks out of a blue wall  with a hammer for the press, to be symbolic, is the most embarrassing attempt to politocal promotion for some time and it was worth the LDs winning just to see it.

Derek adds his customary sagacity with the fact that Tories voted Tory and not for anyone else. That's nout much use, old son, if not many turn put to vote to begin with.

Keep them coming, we need these incisive analyses.
(06-18-2021, 11:42 AM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 05:34 AM)tiptontown Wrote: Thought it might be worth a mention that the Tories have lost this by election.
Are the electorate starting to turn on these bunch of shysters we have in charge?

Lib Dems deal major blow

But this was won because of Lib Dem opposition to HS2 and a proposed new housing development. John Curtice, a man who knows his psephology, just said that it was an election won on local issues.

You do realise that Sarah Green explicitly didn't campaign on HS2 as it's a lost cause right? The only party's bringing up their opposition to HS2 were the Tories (desperate to link themselves to the late Cheryl Gillian and do their traditional gaslighting of the electorate) and the Greens (who's central campaign was to tell everyone that the Lib Dems are pro-HS2). The only Lib Dem related issue on HS2 was to scrutinise HS2 Ltd on their tunneling operations with respect to limiting the effect on ground water via chalk being bored out affecting the refilling of aquifers.

The main local campaign issue was the road surface quality, not the two things you listed.
(06-18-2021, 05:34 AM)tiptontown Wrote: Are the electorate starting to turn on these bunch of shysters we have in charge?[url=https://news.sky.com/story/lib-dems-deal-major-blow-to-tories-with-win-in-chesham-and-amersham-by-election-12335375][/url]

No. The Tories will win this one back at general election and equilibrium will be restored.

Funny how the Lib Dems supported HS2 in the December 2019 GE and don't now. Funny how, yet again, the Lib Dems demonstrate their illiberalism by opposing the liberalisation of land use.

A cynic might suggest they change their tune according to the audience.
(06-18-2021, 05:11 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 05:34 AM)tiptontown Wrote: Are the electorate starting to turn on these bunch of shysters we have in charge?[url=https://news.sky.com/story/lib-dems-deal-major-blow-to-tories-with-win-in-chesham-and-amersham-by-election-12335375][/url]

No. The Tories will win this one back at general election and equilibrium will be restored.

Funny how the Lib Dems supported HS2 in the December 2019 GE and don't now. Funny how, yet again, the Lib Dems demonstrate their illiberalism by opposing the liberalisation of land use.

Ah, I see you've been taken in by the Tory gaslighting.

Please tell me where the Lib Dems opposed the construction of HS2 in C&A? What piece of campaign literature? Wanting scrutiny over the effect of tunneling on water aquifers is not campaigning against HS2, so you can't obfuscate with that. Ed Davey came out and said that the party was still pro-HS2 so the national position is the same and that was before the count, Sarah Green literally came out and said that there was no point in campaigning on the construction of HS2 before the count as well as it's not going to be looked at again this Parliament, she's using her personal opposition against HS2 to scrutinise development such as with respect to aforementioned tunneling but she's not going to oppose completion as there's fuck all she can do.
(06-18-2021, 05:25 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Please tell me where the Lib Dems opposed the construction of HS2 in C&A? What piece of campaign literature? Wanting scrutiny over the effect of tunneling on water aquifers is not campaigning against HS2, so you can't obfuscate with that. Ed Davey came out and said that the party was still pro-HS2 so the national position is the same and that was before the count, Sarah Green literally came out and said that there was no point in campaigning on the construction of HS2 before the count as well as it's not going to be looked at again this Parliament, she's using her personal opposition against HS2 to scrutinise development such as with respect to aforementioned tunneling but she's not going to oppose completion as there's fuck all she can do.

Jesus, you make me laugh sometimes. This is entirely a protest vote against HS2 and the liberalisation of planning in a 'nice' part of Bucks. It's NIMBYism at its cloying middle-class purest and your illiberal antidemocrats are lapping it up like the cynical opportunistic shysters you've always been.

And as for that twat Davey and his cringeworthy "blue wall" photo-op yesterday...

Green has "used her personal opposition against HS2" and anti-development credentials to farm votes in the same way Labour is trading on Kim Leadbetter's dead sister in Batley & Spen. Both are examples of cynicism of the highest order, as was Andy Street's stance on Green Belt housing (as opposed to the ruinous HS2). Everyone can play that game. The Lib Dems are pastmasters, though the false dawns are numerous of course.

(06-18-2021, 09:41 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Also I wonder if the culture wars the Govt keep wanting to fight will impress the younger voters in these areas. I suspect not.

Most young people grow up eventually. Those that don't write columns for The Guardian and lose elections for the Labour Party.
(06-19-2021, 08:34 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 05:25 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Jesus, you make me laugh sometimes. This is entirely a protest vote against HS2 and the liberalisation of planning in a 'nice' part of Bucks. It's NIMBYism at its cloying middle-class purest and your illiberal antidemocrats are lapping it up like the cynical opportunistic shysters you've always been.

And as for that twat Davey and his cringeworthy "blue wall" photo-op yesterday...

Green has "used her personal opposition against HS2" and anti-development credentials to farm votes in the same way Labour is trading on Kim Leadbetter's dead sister in Batley & Spen. Both are examples of cynicism of the highest order, as was Andy Street's stance on Green Belt housing (as opposed to the ruinous HS2). Everyone can play that game. The Lib Dems are pastmasters, though the false dawns are numerous of course.

(06-18-2021, 09:41 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Also I wonder if the culture wars the Govt keep wanting to fight will impress the younger voters in these areas. I suspect not.

Most young people grow up eventually. Those that don't write columns for The Guardian and lose elections for the Labour Party.

Times are a changing this whole culture war, Brexit and war on Woke guff is the last death throes of a few generations scared of the pace of change.
So you don't have any evidence then? Could have just said that. There isn't a shortage of Lib Dem campaign leaflets you could have posted or anything as evidence. Maybe next time you should have a look at real evidence instead of just parroting what Paul Staines' blog, The Spectator and The Telegraph tell you?

There's a stark difference between voters having a protest vote against HS2 and the Lib Dems campaigning against HS2, the first may have happened (probably did) whereas the latter most certainly did not. The Lib Dem campaign was rather explicit in not campaigning against HS2, unlike the Green Party. The fact is that your accusation has no merit, the Lib Dems didn't campaign against HS2. I've not said anything about farming the NIMBY vote with regards to the housing development in the Chilterns as that most certainly did happen but what most certainly did not is this narrative that the Lib Dems campaigned locally against HS2.

As for Andy Street, my problem with him is that he's campaigning against a specific housing development within my constituency that is under the jurisdiction of Warwick District Council and Warwickshire County Council and not him or the WMCA. Bit different as he's flat out lying that he actually can do anything about it.

The Tory press and Tory toadies scrambling and saying it was all to do with HS2 is pathetic. And you've fallen hook line and sinker for it. Maybe in Batley and Spen they can actually bother to canvass and door knock before the day before the by-election and not have the constituency office closed on the day. Maybe they could have bothered to fix the appalling roads which was an issue that came up repeatedly on the door. Blaming HS2 is an easy excuse but the reality is that neither Sarah Green nor the Lib Dems campaigned against it, and wanting HS2 Ltd to publish their risk assessment with respect to tunneling effects on ground water aquifers is not campaigning against HS2 as she was not saying that she would not push to halt construction of the line, in fact she was rather explicit in her not being able to do anything about construction of the line.
From my experience, the Lib Dems will say anything to get in. At least you know roughly where you stand with the other main two parties. This was simply a mid term election, it happens.
(06-18-2021, 07:44 AM)strawman Wrote: Labour's vote share dropped from 12.2% to 1.6% and 4th place behind the Greens.

With that and the Hartlepool result looks like there is a fair amount of tactical voting going on or Labour are totally fucked.

Apparently Labour's worst ever by-election result. Labour also on track to lose the Bartley & Spen (Yorkshire) by-election to the Tories in a couple of weeks. A seat they've held for 25 years.