GB News
Have just switched my energy contract from Octopus this morning. All the companies had to say that their advertising spend is contracted out to agencies who advertise on a wide range of channels to appeal to multi demographics and as long as they are Ofcom licensed we feel no need to change our practices
(06-16-2021, 09:07 AM)Sotv Wrote: It does look quite amateur but the fact that advertisers are pulling out for political reasons seems to give the founders point about cancel culture some legs.
I hope it gets it act together and grows, after all the BBC have been banging on about how good diversity is and here is a channel as different from the BBC agenda as you can get

It's not cancel culture, just business saying they don't want their brands associated with weird news and shit opinions.
Ah so it's a news channel for those that think opinions = fact but right winged.

Really do need to stop opinions carrying any weight. They are just that, opinions, I don't watch the news or read any newspapers online because all facts seem to be twisted into opinions instead. Give me the raw facts and data, nothing else. I know how to do statistical analysis, amd how to look at things from multiple angles. Everyone went to school so should be able to do the same.

Just another one of my rants at modern society.
(06-16-2021, 09:07 AM)Sotv Wrote: It does look quite amateur but the fact that advertisers are pulling out for political reasons seems to give the founders point about cancel culture some legs.
I hope it gets it act together and grows, after all the BBC have been banging on about how good diversity is and here is a channel as different from the BBC agenda as you can get

Advertisers have currently pulled for a number of reasons. Some because they weren’t aware that the agency I assume that looks after their advertising had agreed they could be shown, others because they think the channel is not inclusive and doesn’t fit into their brands values. That’s their choice as a free market business rather than ahem ‘cancel’ culture. 

If a station is going to weaponise terms like ‘woke’ and have a echo-chamber of opinion where ‘alternative facts’ are normal then don’t be surprised if some businesses won’t endorse that brand / channel with their product. 

The idea that Sky and the BBC are the opposite end of spectrum of broadcasting in terms of news is daft. The opposite of GB news would be pro-republic, anti-monarch, Corbynite news agenda and have guest such as Owen Jones etc on every hour.
(06-16-2021, 09:58 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 09:23 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Just sounds like a British version of Fox News.

Hilarious. It's really not.

It's more like amateur hour in the University of Media TV studio at the moment. Terrible technical issues for the first few days haven't helped. Goodness only knows who designed the set, I can only imagine they've not actually watched TV in the last 10 years.

Interesting that they're being held back from reporting more 'news' by the BBC's refusal to allow them to use pooled content. A rather stupid (but sadly typical and counter productive) move attempting to strangle it at birth by the BBC which will eventually be overturned by OFCOM and the government anyway.

Also interesting that some bedwetting advertisers don't appear to understand the nature of their advertising contracts, but never mind. I'm not sure what Ikea has to gain by further alienating people like me who'd never be seen dead in their stores anyway.

As for the content, well....meh. I'd rather watch the BBC or Sky so I can shout at the self-important opinionated twats. A great stress reliever.

I do hope Neil asks Rishi WTF he's going to do about inflation and debt tonight though.

So the alternative to the BBC isn’t very good and it’s the BBC’s fault?
(06-16-2021, 09:58 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Interesting that they're being held back from reporting more 'news' by the BBC's refusal to allow them to use pooled content. A rather stupid (but sadly typical and counter productive) move attempting to strangle it at birth by the BBC which will eventually be overturned by OFCOM and the government anyway.

They're not being allowed into the broadcasting pool because they're not contributing towards it (no give, only take doesn't seem particularly very fair to me), the BBC is not the sole stakeholder of the pool so it's not just the BBC (but two other private companies in Sky and ITN) refusing to allow them and they're not being blocked from reporting the news because you don't need video to report news and they have a license from Reuters (who are one of the stakeholders for the broadcast pool through their shares in ITN) to use their footage.

You do realise that Paul Staines is a bullshit merchant and his blog is filled with bullshit right? You don't need to take what it says at face value.
I wonder if Limabaggie watches it
Gbeebies is against cancel culture.

five posts later...

Im cancelling my energy supply Big Grin
(06-16-2021, 11:20 AM)sickParrot Wrote: Gbeebies is against cancel culture.

five posts later...

Im cancelling my energy supply Big Grin

I do like the Gbeebies nickname.
So, were I ever inclined to give it a go, currently I'm not, what channel is it even on? Is it just on Sky / Virgin or freeview too? You can tell that any money they spent on advertising this new channel has passed many people by...