1 in 2000 vaccinated in hospital with virus
(06-11-2021, 02:04 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: The Beeb in their infinite wisdom have said unvaccinated most at risk from the new variant, with a headline up there with Grass Remains Green as the most blindingly obvious, but perhaps stating that only around 1 in 2000 of the current hospital admissions were fully vaccinated should be where the focus lies.

Really, bearing in mind so few hospitalisations I'm struggling with the continued grip the virus has and I've no sympathy for people offered the vaccine, who are vulnerable and have turned it down, especially as there's 100s of millions of people all over the globe would like to be in our situation.

Am I missing something about this? Onions https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57441677

Latest figures show there are only 1058 people in hospital with Covid.

(06-11-2021, 02:23 PM)MassDebater Wrote: Got my second jab tomorrow morning. I also have little sympathy for those who are declining it for no good reason.

I believe the hospitalisations for single jabbed / Indian (Delta, I guess Indian is racist? Since it's been worldwide known as the UK variant for ages!) are a fair bit higher than 1 in 2000 though? #(not had chance to read the article, but read something the other day)

However, this bit seems a little worrying:
"And of 42 deaths in people with Delta variant infections, 23 were unvaccinated and seven had received only one dose. The other 12 had received two doses more than two weeks before."

Then again 223 admissions from 33,000 cases isn't bad, 0.7%. That 42 deaths of the 223 is a concern though... 18% chance of death if hospitalised... 5% chance if had both jabs... I wonder if it is a case that the virus is now stronger in those hospitalised, as I was sure there were not that many deaths when hospitalisations were a lot higher? You'd assume the hospitals can spend longer with each one now too, so it seems at odds.

Figures can be misleading.Those 12 deaths of people who have had two doses could be people with other illness/health conditions/ old aged etc., The figures need breaking down more.
(06-11-2021, 04:52 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Figures can be misleading.Those 12 deaths of people who have had two doses could be people with other illness/health conditions/ old aged etc., The figures need breaking down more.
Yes, but you could say that about all of the deaths. Can only compare like for like figures rather than making allowances for some.
(06-11-2021, 05:30 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 04:52 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Figures can be misleading.Those 12 deaths of people who have had two doses could be people with other illness/health conditions/ old aged etc., The figures need breaking down more.
Yes, but you could say that about all of the deaths. Can only compare like for like figures rather than making allowances for some.

My point being 12 deaths out of 42 could be ‘shocking’or ‘nothing to worry about’ depending on other factors.
(06-11-2021, 04:52 PM)HugeHons Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 02:04 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: The Beeb in their infinite wisdom have said unvaccinated most at risk from the new variant, with a headline up there with Grass Remains Green as the most blindingly obvious, but perhaps stating that only around 1 in 2000 of the current hospital admissions were fully vaccinated should be where the focus lies.

Really, bearing in mind so few hospitalisations I'm struggling with the continued grip the virus has and I've no sympathy for people offered the vaccine, who are vulnerable and have turned it down, especially as there's 100s of millions of people all over the globe would like to be in our situation.

Am I missing something about this? Onions https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57441677

Latest figures show there are only 1058 people in hospital with Covid.

(06-11-2021, 02:23 PM)MassDebater Wrote: Got my second jab tomorrow morning. I also have little sympathy for those who are declining it for no good reason.

I believe the hospitalisations for single jabbed / Indian (Delta, I guess Indian is racist? Since it's been worldwide known as the UK variant for ages!) are a fair bit higher than 1 in 2000 though? #(not had chance to read the article, but read something the other day)

However, this bit seems a little worrying:
"And of 42 deaths in people with Delta variant infections, 23 were unvaccinated and seven had received only one dose. The other 12 had received two doses more than two weeks before."

Then again 223 admissions from 33,000 cases isn't bad, 0.7%. That 42 deaths of the 223 is a concern though... 18% chance of death if hospitalised... 5% chance if had both jabs... I wonder if it is a case that the virus is now stronger in those hospitalised, as I was sure there were not that many deaths when hospitalisations were a lot higher? You'd assume the hospitals can spend longer with each one now too, so it seems at odds.

Figures can be misleading.Those 12 deaths of people who have had two doses could be people with other illness/health conditions/ old aged etc., The figures need breaking down more.

I've read somewhere that the deaths were largely with those with underlying conditions