Tech Tax
I hope there is something of a breakthrough in this regard but not only for tech companies but also for those other companies that have set up SwissCos or LuxCos to pay lower taxes. One thing I’ve never understood with the EU is why they ever allowed the latter to exist within their own four walls.
It might be an over-simplification to just say that money buys influence and big money buys more, but there's probably some truth in there somewhere.

It's certainly wrong when those companies are benefitting from publicly funded infrastructure in the countries where the transactions originate.
I do not have a great understanding of international law or finance so, please excuse this simple question:

How can a statement of intent by eleven states plus the E.U. be turned in 'law' and how can it be enforced on all 194 sovereign states on the planet? Can a few states insist all others comply with a standard rate of Tax?
(06-06-2021, 09:15 AM)JOK Wrote: I do not have a great understanding of international law or finance so, please excuse this simple question:

How can a statement of intent by eleven states plus the E.U. be turned in 'law' and how can it be enforced on all 194 sovereign states on the planet? Can a few states insist all others comply with a standard rate of Tax?

I'm not really up to speed with what's being proposed, but one article (the only one I've read, so hardly conclusive) seemed to be suggesting a kind of flat-rate supplementary Corporation Tax on 'earnings', which I took to mean profits. The problem I see with that is that profits are manipulable, which is why we're where we are now. I'd have thought a point of sale tax in the country where the transaction originates would be much more transparent and harder to avoid.

Still, better minds than mine will be working on this. At least I'd hope so; we're in deep shite if said minds aren't substantially better.
Liz Truss. It'll be fine.
I can't see why any state would want to be part of a cartel reducing tax competition. I sense the UK will lose out anyway v Digital Services Tax.

The most important point is that it's individuals ultimately pay all tax, not corporations. And the tax burden in the UK is already as high as it was in 1969-70.