Let’s talk about class
Inspired by a number of Backside Baggie’s posts. 

Is it relevant? In what way? Has it changed? Is it more important than identity? 

Too tired tonight to really add anymore but thought it would be a nice change.
(06-03-2021, 06:35 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Inspired by a number of Backside Baggie’s posts. 

Is it relevant? In what way? Has it changed? Is it more important than identity? 

Too tired tonight to really add anymore but thought it would be a nice change.

Fair play Dekka.

My tuppence worth.... Yes, it’s the biggest factor in chances people get in life. If you’re from a deprived area, it’s bloody hard to make something of your life, for many reasons. It’s not that it’s more important than identity, I wouldn’t say important is the right word. But it’s the biggest inequality by a mile IMO. The media push identity politics inequality very hard, but don’t push class inequality much IMO. Maybe that’s because the media are middle class...

I was brought up in a very middle class fortunate background, god knows where I’d have ended up in life had I been from a deprived background/area.
Class still exists. Thankfully most of the working class don't vote for the self indulgent southern middle class identity politics of the "workers" party in this country.
(06-04-2021, 07:57 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Class still exists. Thankfully most of the working class don't vote for the self indulgent southern middle class identity politics of the "workers" party in this country.

I think the lines are blurred to the extent that increasingly fewer people even think in those terms anymore.
Social mobility worse now than ever for those born in poverty regardless of creed or colour.

Focus on this rather than skin colour and sexuality long overdue.
(06-07-2021, 09:56 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Social mobility worse now than ever for those born in poverty regardless of creed or colour.

But everyone is better off than they ever have been. More working class kids taking advantage of the dubious benefits of university than ever.

The lack of social mobility (and labour mobility) can be broadly put down to one thing - lack of affordable housing. That's it. Solve that issue and social mobility will rocket.
(06-07-2021, 04:37 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 09:56 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Social mobility worse now than ever for those born in poverty regardless of creed or colour.

But everyone is better off than they ever have been. More working class kids taking advantage of the dubious benefits of university than ever.

The lack of social mobility (and labour mobility) can be broadly put down to one thing - lack of affordable housing. That's it. Solve that issue and social mobility will rocket.

Now you're ruining your argument with sense. Stop peddling this kind of truism myth.