What’s it going to take?
To make people think... hang on I might have misjudged this government and its leader? 

The cult of Boris is strong.

But, but, but it’s the Guardian...
I don't know where people get this idea that the Guardian is liberal or left. It has been centre right for the last decade.

It's starting to look like people enjoy being patronised by their 'betters'.
(05-29-2021, 07:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: To make people think... hang on I might have misjudged this government and its leader? 

In among all the jokey stuff Marina Hyde invariably makes some valid observations, although I tend to think Jonathan Freedland's columns are usually better. Problem is though that The Guardian's daily circulation is barely into six figures - only a few thousand more than the FT. I have no idea what proportion of the population are getting their formative information from wordy, analytical articles in the print media, but I'd imagine the figure is worryingly low. Twitter is the driver of public opinion these days; it's the electronic equivalent of the bloke in the barber's shop or the racist taxi driver, except with almost unlimited reach and the facility to extrapolate a totally unsubstantiated rumour into a 'well known fact' within a matter of hours.

People like us - and this applies whether your long-read preference is The Guardian or The TelegraphThe Spectator or The New Statesman - are heading for extinction. If Mark Twain did actually say that "A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on" he was remarkably prescient.

Still, imagine how much worse it would have been if we hadn't overthrown 'the establishment' during the 2016 uprising.
(05-29-2021, 07:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: To make people think... hang on I might have misjudged this government and its leader? 

No. Corbynism and remain/rejoin are cults.
(06-02-2021, 09:51 PM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote:

I think you are too far down the rabbit hole to even realise you are part of the cult.
"Twitter is the driver of public opinion these days"

If Twitter drove public opinion we'd still be in the EU and Corbyn would have been PM for 4 years. Twitter is a hilarious platform for entrenching already strongly held opinions. I challenge yuo to find a single person who's changed their mind about anything after reading a tweet from Femi, the Fox Killer, Laurence Fox or any of the other narcissists on there.
(06-02-2021, 09:51 PM)Bortolazzi's Barnet Wrote:

Both sides have a cult like element.

To pretend there isn't a cult of Boris at this point is ridiculous.
(06-04-2021, 08:04 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Both sides have a cult like element.

I don't even think there's a "cult of Boris" in the Tory party let alone in the land. The Tories are following a long held tradition of have the most useful idiot in charge, until such a time as he's no longer useful. And then he'll be despatched mercilessly.
(06-07-2021, 04:41 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 08:04 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Both sides have a cult like element.

I don't even think there's a "cult of Boris" in the Tory party let alone in the land. The Tories are following a long held tradition of have the most useful idiot in charge, until such a time as he's no longer useful. And then he'll be despatched mercilessly.

What a lovely party you support
(06-07-2021, 05:23 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What a lovely party you support

I don't, in case it had escaped your notice.