Examples of where the Muslamic religion is peaceful...
(05-14-2021, 08:58 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: On the topic of religion and politics, I see the DUP have appointed a fundamentalist Presbyterian who thinks that the Earth is 6,000 tests old as leader.

Are you just wishing to highlight another idiot who is indoctrinated and just takes away a bit of our self-respect as a species?
(05-14-2021, 09:17 PM)Fido Wrote:
(05-14-2021, 08:58 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: On the topic of religion and politics, I see the DUP have appointed a fundamentalist Presbyterian who thinks that the Earth is 6,000 tests old as leader.

Are you just wishing to highlight another idiot who is indoctrinated and just takes away a bit of our self-respect as a species?

Only if his name were Muhammed O'Pooter McGregor DeVille Kennedy Evans Singh...
Still chuckling at “Too much tramp juice, I fear.” What a putdown.

He does not believe dinosaurs existed. When asked to explain the discovery of dinosaur bones he said "God put them there to test our faith."
What a lovely thread to see on the week of Eid.

I cannot understand the facile nature of people looking for one sole cause for human behaviour. Societies throughout history have always been motivated by a variety of factors:

Power politics
Resources (water, farmland, spices, gold, oil)
Nationalism
Religion
Ethnicity
Colonialism/post Colonialism
Political ideology

That to just point at one factor seems like massively limited thinking.

The OP talks of "Muslamic" countries, which ones? There are Muslim majority countries in Europe, Asia and Africa.

Mayo is correct to say that Indonesia is a largely peaceful and thriving Muslim country. Malaysia is the same. Senegal is considered one of the best functioning democracies in Africa, but it is also rather poor. Azerbaijan is very wealthy and stable, but like several former Soviet states, the transition to being a full-fledged democracy is not entirely smooth. Ultimately, the religion of its citizens is just one facet in the functioning of a country.
Well, people can say what they like, but one in five muslims think that Morecambe and Wise were better when they went to ITV.

And have some sympathy with David Bowie's late 90s drum and bass period.

(05-15-2021, 11:45 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote:
He does not believe dinosaurs existed. When asked to explain the discovery of dinosaur bones he said "God put them there to test our faith."

Makes me wonder what god was testing when he/she/non-binary deity gave us the DUP...
(05-15-2021, 12:36 PM)Squid Wrote: What a lovely thread to see on the week of Eid.

I cannot understand the facile nature of people looking for one sole cause for human behaviour. Societies throughout history have always been motivated by a variety of factors:

Power politics
Nationalism
Religion
Ethnicity
Political ideology

The OP talks of "Muslamic" countries, which ones? There are Muslim majority countries in Europe, Asia and Africa.

Mayo is correct to say that Indonesia is a largely peaceful and thriving Muslim country. Malaysia is the same. Senegal is considered one of the best functioning democracies in Africa, but it is also rather poor. Azerbaijan is very wealthy and stable, but like several former Soviet states, the transition to being a full-fledged democracy is not entirely smooth. Ultimately, the religion  of its citizens is just one facet in the functioning of a country.

Malaysia is a lovely place to visit and relatively safe for foreign visitors. Those born into the Chinese or worse, south Indian races face a lifetime of institutional racism and lack of opportunity.
(05-15-2021, 12:36 PM)Squid Wrote: What a lovely thread to see on the week of Eid.

Power politics
Nationalism
Religion
Ethnicity
Political ideology

Mayo is correct to say that Indonesia is a largely peaceful and thriving Muslim country. Malaysia is the same. Senegal is considered one of the best functioning democracies in Africa, but it is also rather poor. Azerbaijan is very wealthy and stable, but like several former Soviet states, the transition to being a full-fledged democracy is not entirely smooth. Ultimately, the religion  of its citizens is just one facet in the functioning of a country.

Squid, worryingly for you I find myself agreeing with you a lot recently Wink 

The idea that faith defines human nature is nonsense given you can find acts of good, bad, peace, violence throughout human history with or without religion. Acts of violence were used at first to control, be in charge and that’s how humans organised themselves until commerce and trade became the better way to organise / set parameters for society. Even during more ‘enlightened’ times humans felt it perfectly acceptable to make money from enslaving people in the most violent ways. We have had two world wars and countless localised wars in recent history some under the guise of religion some not but ultimately they are all just humans trying control / impose their will on others.

Anyone who thinks we as a species are a force for good whatever that means anyway is deluding themselves. If anything we are fecking the rest of the world up for our own ends.

Oh and the timing of this thread was crass, I look forward to a similar post about Christians at Christmas.
(05-15-2021, 01:19 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Anyone who thinks we as a species are a force for good whatever that means anyway is deluding themselves.

Every post you've ever made makes sense now.
(05-17-2021, 10:21 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-15-2021, 01:19 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Anyone who thinks we as a species are a force for good whatever that means anyway is deluding themselves.

Every post you've ever made makes sense now.

Sorry I had to break it to you.