Yokuslu.
I think we should offer SJ a 1 yr extension, on the basis if we don't go up, he can move on.

Okay is a no-brainer if he wants to stay. I would play him with Gallagher (if Sam stays and convinces him to stay with us for development, as was touted yesterday) I wouldn't have Sawyers anywhere near the starting 11....he's too slow and gets caught in possession too easily.

If we can keep Diagne, get Okay and Gallagher, and keep SJ we will piss the Champ.
SJ will not play in the Champ now.
He will if we don't sell him
(05-10-2021, 03:50 PM)Banbury Baggie Wrote: He will if we don't sell him

We will sell him.
Re Sawyers he's struggled but having seen a lot of him at Brentford he needs different players alongside him. Having Okay and another box to box type and him more free range to move forward I think he'd do well. Having him as two, with Livermore, behind Perreira was never going to favour him.
(05-10-2021, 03:48 PM)Banbury Baggie Wrote: I think we should offer SJ a 1 yr extension, on the basis if we don't go up, he can move on.

Okay is a no-brainer if he wants to stay.  I would play him with Gallagher (if Sam stays and convinces him to stay with us for development, as was touted yesterday) I wouldn't have Sawyers anywhere near the starting 11....he's too slow and gets caught in possession too easily.

If we can keep Diagne, get Okay and Gallagher, and keep SJ we will piss the Champ.

That was a complete misquote from an old interview, Sam said if we stay up he would like to keep Gallagher for his benefit rather than trying to get in Chelsea's side

Can't see Gallagher wanting to play in the Championship although you could argue that's his level (Top end Champ/Bottom End Prem)

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
(05-10-2021, 03:25 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 02:12 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 11:21 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: If true we have to move heaven and earth to retain him.

I know he’s not flavour the month but a midfield two of Okay and Sawyers in the Champ would piss that league.
Why? Yes Okay would be the best player in the league by some margin; the other one doesn't score, tackle, get up and down, press, create.... 

Is it because the Championship is deemed crap or has absence made the heart grow fonder? Our midfield was generally poor in the Champ from Dec 2019. Or have we forgotten Blackburn, Huddersfield, QPR etc outplaying them?

Sawyers was in the team of the season when we won promotion and was absolutely instrumental to our good form in the first half of the season and in that brief burst of wins in second half prior to lockdown.

With the right midfield partner, he can and will be an asset at Championship level, and Okay’s energy and defensive ability would allow Sawyers to focus on what he does well... intercept, pass, move play up the field and provide an outball from the defence. 

I’m not his biggest fan, but he’s a perfectly competent player who can contribute hugely next season.

(05-10-2021, 03:19 PM)Cuzer Wrote: I've read the Athletic article but what it doesn't mention is both us and Celta Vigo pushed for an "option to buy" clause in his contract and he refused it point blank

His good form has only raised that value which may be out of our price range anyhow, salary I believe we could sort but he will unfortunately for us have suitors from Prem sides

Mbaye the clause is there but based on yesterdays "stroll in the park" effort I'm not sure how much he would fancy the rough and tumble of the Championship, he was a complete passenger yesterday, at fault for the 2nd goal and basically looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here. Certainly a player there but needs a large rocket up his arse to get him interested

Rumours plenty of Prem clubs taking a look at him too...........which Im not sure he's justified in his performances for us personally

Cuzer

I’m really not fussed about Diagne... he’s been an improvement on HRK and Grant but that’s hardly difficult. He’s a decent player but his finishing has been poor. 

I’m sure at £4-5m plenty there will be clubs in the PL who will take a punt on him, but if we’re investing that kind of money in a player they need to have a resale value.
If Sawyers is to play further forward he needs to a) increase his workrate considerably and b) effect games as his goalscoring and assisting are minimal.
I haven't really rated Gallagher this season overall; but dropping down to the Champo he would be a good loan signing next season
(05-10-2021, 03:48 PM)Banbury Baggie Wrote: I think we should offer SJ a 1 yr extension, on the basis if we don't go up, he can move on.

Okay is a no-brainer if he wants to stay.  I would play him with Gallagher (if Sam stays and convinces him to stay with us for development, as was touted yesterday) I wouldn't have Sawyers anywhere near the starting 11....he's too slow and gets caught in possession too easily.

I'm sure I read the other day Gallagher was ready to turn down moves from a number of PL sides to stay at Chelsea. He hasn't been as good lately, but I can't see any way that he will want to drop down a level to the championship again. 

We're going to need to sell 1 of our assets to fund the holes in the squad, and Johnstone is easier to replace than Pereira. If we can get 15 million for him it would be a great deal.
(05-10-2021, 05:32 PM)wbamitch Wrote:

I'm sure I read the other day Gallagher was ready to turn down moves from a number of PL sides to stay at Chelsea. He hasn't been as good lately, but I can't see any way that he will want to drop down a level to the championship again. 

We're going to need to sell 1 of our assets to fund the holes in the squad, and Johnstone is easier to replace than Pereira. If we can get 15 million for him it would be a great deal.

Correct. Johnstone is easier to replace and for me we already have the replacements at the club. That £15 million could then go to Yokuslu and securing Periera (bonus incentives etc) for one more season.