Having EU Cake & Eating It
(01-12-2021, 02:11 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 02:05 PM)baggy1 Wrote: But what have they breached, are you saying that the amounts should have been distributed on a population basis even if some countries didn't want them? Not being awkward here but have Germany actually denied another country getting the vaccines?

They have breached the Agreement they signed. You can weasel all you like about the nuances, but the fact remains that the 27 signed a legally binding Agrement and Germany breached it.

There will, of course, be no consequences for doing so. Like there are no cosequences for France in breaching the Stability Pact.

You'd be all over the UK for any minor breach of the WA or Trade Agreement. Double standards n'est pas?

"Rules" are so easily bent or broken in the EU and more often than not it's by Germany & France. Greece? Not so much. It's almost colonial. Thank goodness we're out.

I've asked you how they breached it and you just repeated what we already dicussed - I'm simply asking how they've fuggin breached it man, stop being so one eyed and read with both please.
I agree with Ursula von der Leyen. That is all.

You can't bring yourself to admit that Germany has breached an EU-wide Agreement. That's fine.

I'm bringing it up now because it's news today.

"The only framework we are negotiating in is as 27. We do this together, and no member state on this legal-binding basis is allowed to negotiate in parallel or to have a contract in parallel," the president of the EU executive, Germany's Ursula von der Leyen, told reporters on Friday (8 January) Can you not read?
(01-12-2021, 01:24 PM)Protheroe Wrote: EU are priceless. "Let's ignore our own legally binding agreements, but by George if the British do it they're toast"

Flexibility? Howling.

The UK did it frequently in my area of work but absent any infraction action the UK just carried on.  If nobody objects, Member States do their own thing, as a mate at the Commission told me.
Fuck me, can you not read?

I literally said they've broken the written agreement but because they've not broken the spirit of the agreement (to provide all member states signed up with priority access to vaccines as they need it) the member states do not care and so they are being flexible. If the member states cared, they wouldn't be flexible with Germany. This is how the EU bloody works.

This isn't hard. You're putting far too much stock into the opinion of the Commission.
Oh. So the EU isn't the "rules based" organisation both it and Remainers liked to present it as then?

Who knew?
(01-12-2021, 02:25 PM)hudds Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 01:24 PM)Protheroe Wrote: EU are priceless. "Let's ignore our own legally binding agreements, but by George if the British do it they're toast"

Flexibility? Howling.

The UK did it frequently in my area of work but absent any infraction action the UK just carried on.  If nobody objects, Member States do their own thing, as a mate at the Commission told me.

Exactamundo.

(01-12-2021, 02:29 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Oh. So the EU isn't the "rules based" organisation both it and Remainers liked to present it as then?

Who knew?

What are you yamping on about? The only thing I've heard about the EU being rigid with rules has been from anti-Europeans trying to portray the EU as overly bureaucratic. One of the arguments in favour of remaining was about getting flexibility with the EU regarding the application of rules as you're able to deal directly with members to satisfy agreements instead of only being able to go through the Commission as a third country.
(01-12-2021, 02:29 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Oh. So the EU isn't the "rules based" organisation both it and Remainers liked to present it as then?

Who knew?

It doesn't fit your perception of tyranny, I suppose.

I loathe the Commission and useless lazy functionaries (they are uber civil servants) but really the Commission is often there to sort of put a brake on the excesses of Mmeber States.
(01-12-2021, 02:31 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Who knew?

What are you yamping on about? The only thing I've heard about the EU being rigid with rules has been from anti-Europeans trying to portray the EU as overly bureaucratic. One of the arguments in favour of remaining was about getting flexibility with the EU regarding the application of rules as you're able to deal directly with members to satisfy agreements instead of only being able to go through the Commission as a third country.

I know, this is really getting into twilight zone territory
(01-12-2021, 02:28 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Fuck me, can you not read?

I literally said they've broken the written agreement but because they've not broken the spirit of the agreement (to provide all member states signed up with priority access to vaccines as they need it) the member states do not care and so they are being flexible. If the member states cared, they wouldn't be flexible with Germany. This is how the EU bloody works.

This isn't hard. You're putting far too much stock into the opinion of the Commission.

The other member states wouldn't be able to do fugg all about if they did object to Germany breaking the agreement, let's be frank.

It's galling so much is spent on bureaucracy but if that is not adhered to it's of even less worth.
(01-12-2021, 03:48 PM)Fido Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 02:28 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Fuck me, can you not read?

The other member states wouldn't be able to do fugg all about if they did object to Germany breaking the agreement, let's be frank.

It's galling so much is spent on bureaucracy but if that is not adhered to it's of even less worth.

Let's be frank, as none of the member states are losing out on any vaccines they have nothing to object to. They're not in a worse position and nothing is stopping them doing the same thing. In fact, by virtue of the Germans buying the unwanted stocks of the Moderna vaccine from the poorer members a lot of members will gain from Germany "breaking the rules".

The bureaucracy was with respect to procuring the vaccines at scale, this has happened and is unaffected so it's not of "less worth" by virtue of it being used as intended, as shown by Germany keeping to the spirit of the agreement.