Dinosaurs in football
We'd have tried to use Covid to get out of the Pereira deal I reckon, or found a buyer straight away, so long as they paid at least what we did! None of the other loan players would have returned, We'd have done a fire sale of other players, even to competing teams. Edwards, Harper and Field would have had to step up as key players. When you see the teams that came down, we stood no chance if we had to try to get promoted this season.
The old git romantics like me were brought up watching teams who were evenly matched due to the players maximum wage cap. It meant that the likes of us and Burnley and PNE and Ipswich were evenly matched as we could all pay the going rate for the best players. There was no small clique of clubs able to dominate the league for decades based on their financial clout. Liverpool spent most of the 1950s in Division 2. Man City spent a good bit of the post war years in Division 2 as well. Wolves were the powerhouse of the late 1950s winning the League three times if I remember correctly. We were close behind. I remember the great Spurs double winning side and also remember them being relegated. Man Utd too were relegated in 1974.

The legacy of the fairly level playing field as regards player recruitment and finance, lasted into the 1970s so we, with a good youth policy, competed. We had a pretty good expectation of finishing somewhere about 8th or 10th in Division 1.

Then came Sky and the money men and the glamourous façade of the Premier League. Football was re-invented and the likes of us and Norwich and Ipswich and Burnley and Wolves and Stoke and Blackburn and Southampton and West Ham and Blues and to some degree the Villa, are only required to play the role of the little bloke who no one has heard of in WWF wrestling.

Our job is turn up and play the role of brave but inadequate underdogs, so that the glamour boys in gold lame underpants, can beat the shit out of us. Worst still, the hysterical and ignorant of football-history commentators, can come in their own underpants at the brilliance of the obscenely funded favoured few. Our job is to comply with the script and try to avoid humiliation on global TV.

Unless we, and clubs like us, manage to do a Leicester, Sam's pragmatism is the best chance we have of staying in this awful league.

I am not a fan, but the days of Ronnie Allen, Bobby Hope, Cyrille and Laurie are gone forever, or at least until we get a sugar daddy who is serious about winning something.
(12-28-2020, 04:43 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 03:10 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Just think where we might be without those 8 seasons. A self sustaining club with very low level sustenance potential. During the 8 seasons,talk on here was of the fabled 'next level' whereas we may have ended up looking over our shoulder at the wrong next level. The 8 put us in good stead for an expensive promotion campaign for 2 seasons that lots predicted were do or die. Don't knock treading water in the top flight when it gives you stability. You never know one time we might get lucky and start infiltrating that next level.

I wish people would remember that.

If we didn't get promoted last season, and we did all we could to blow it! We'd be lower half Championship for a very long time with the finances we had. 

We simply don't produce even top half revenues in that league without the TV money, hence we absolutely need to stay in this league at all costs.
Thank goodness we got promoted.
Thanks to Slaven.....!
Let's hope we stay up thanks to quick decisive action this season when things weren't going well or looking like changing soon enough
Thanks to Slaven, who nearly blew it too.
At the end of the day our squad has the lowest value in the league at £79m, last night we played a side that was compiled with an addition £900m on top. NINE HUNDRED MILLION.

It’s like turning up to race Lewis Hamilton in an Austin Allegro, you’ll need to fight dirty to have any chance (or in Hamilton’s case say something to offend the poor mite).

I enjoyed last night, two banks of four in the first half, letting them fuck about with it all they wanted and defend deep. Second half give them other things to think about, grab something and go home happy. It was far superior to going there under Mowbray, passing it around in our own half with 60% possession, concede 3 goals in ten mins either side of half time and get sent on our way with a ruffle of the hair and a good old patronising.

It’s a bit like a night out with FF......you can sit there talking to a beautiful woman all night and end it with a kiss on the cheek and a quick rub over your kecks, whereas FF sat there watching all night but picked up a Romanian brass on the way home and gave her a good seeing to.......FF was direct and not to everyone’s liking, but he got the job done*

*Hi FF, hope you’re well, only pulling your leg Wink
(12-28-2020, 05:32 PM)TTM2 Wrote: At the end of the day our squad has the lowest value in the league at £79m, last night we played a side that was compiled with an addition £900m on top. NINE HUNDRED MILLION.

It’s like turning up to race Lewis Hamilton in an Austin Allegro, you’ll need to fight dirty to have any chance (or in Hamilton’s case say something to offend the poor mite).

I enjoyed last night, two banks of four in the first half, letting them fuck about with it all they wanted and defend deep. Second half give them other things to think about, grab something and go home happy. It was far superior to going there under Mowbray, passing it around in our own half with 60% possession, concede 3 goals in ten mins either side of half time and get sent on our way with a ruffle of the hair and a good old patronising.

It’s a bit like a night out with FF......you can sit there talking to a beautiful woman all night and end it with a kiss on the cheek and a quick rub over your kecks, whereas FF sat there watching all night but picked up a Romanian brass on the way home and gave her a good seeing to.......FF was direct and not to everyone’s liking, but he got the job done*

Nail on head.

Until we get a sugar daddy, like it or not this is the best route. It was great not to see us roll over last night. Even Pat Nevin was going on about the energetic Sawyers last night.

Going forward I think BFS is happier than he thought with our defence. It will be interesting to see who we bring in.
Nice to see you back, TTM. Hope all is well.
(12-28-2020, 04:53 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: We'd have tried to use Covid to get out of the Pereira deal I reckon, or found a buyer straight away, so long as they paid at least what we did! None of the other loan players would have returned, We'd have done a fire sale of other players, even to competing teams. Edwards, Harper and Field would have had to step up as key players. When you see the teams that came down, we stood no chance if we had to try to get promoted this season.

I’m not sure it would have been quite as bleak as that BM, but we’d have certainly been miles away from fulfilling the two year plan in year two.

I think we’d have followed up on the Pereira purchase as we had the second instalment of Rodriguez money coming in, and we’d have been looking for a quick £10-15m profit from the likes of Leeds or Fulham. Hegazy would have gone sooner and I imagine we’d have settled for 3-4m for Ferguson to get the money in sooner.

We’d have been touting Gibbs, Austin, Livermore and Johnstone to anyone who’d listen to cut the wage bill, and imagine Palmer, Morton, Leko would have been in the squad.

Realise there’d have been a few loans and ins/outs but don’t think we’d be far off lining up like this:

HRK 

Edwards 
Pereira
Phillips 

Harper 
Sawyers

Townsend 
OShea
Ajayi
Furlong 

Palmer

(12-28-2020, 05:32 PM)TTM2 Wrote: At the end of the day our squad has the lowest value in the league at £79m, last night we played a side that was compiled with an addition £900m on top. NINE HUNDRED MILLION.

You are Jorge Sampaoli and I claim my £5
(12-28-2020, 06:09 PM)Fido Wrote: Nice to see you back, TTM. Hope all is well.

All good Fido, hope you are too mate.

Thought I’d pop on, saw that bitterness, petty sniping and PM threats were truly alive and well so thought I’d dip my toe back in !!