Some are having a very good war...
I've not been able to book a GP appointment at my surgery for the last 2 months, and I was offered an after hours appointment at a different one that I couldn't make.
I managed to get a phone call with doctor a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday - I'd called in the week and said I'll work around them as it wasn't serious. I can imagine that some are a nightmare to get hold of, and they need to get it organised better. I can't believe some of the pictures of the 1st vaccines (don't forget these would al have been 80+) waiting outside in a queue to get the jab at some places, surely they could have just said to them to turn up at a certain time.
(12-21-2020, 04:10 PM)baggy1 Wrote: I managed to get a phone call with doctor a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday - I'd called in the week and said I'll work around them as it wasn't serious. I can imagine that some are a nightmare to get hold of, and they need to get it organised better. I can't believe some of the pictures of the 1st vaccines (don't forget these would al have been 80+) waiting outside in a queue to get the jab at some places, surely they could have just said to them to turn up at a certain time.

I believe the jabs have been organised by the same people who organised the coaches from the Hawthorns for the Derby play-off final.
(12-21-2020, 04:10 PM)baggy1 Wrote: I managed to get a phone call with doctor a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday - I'd called in the week and said I'll work around them as it wasn't serious. I can imagine that some are a nightmare to get hold of, and they need to get it organised better. I can't believe some of the pictures of the 1st vaccines (don't forget these would al have been 80+) waiting outside in a queue to get the jab at some places, surely they could have just said to them to turn up at a certain time.

Lady next door who was on shielding list had her first jab yesterday, was given a time to turn up and didn't have to wait.
(12-21-2020, 04:21 PM)strawman Wrote:

Lady next door who was on shielding list had her first jab yesterday, was given a time to turn up and didn't have to wait.

A couple opposite my aunt in Walsall went for hearing test and were just given the jab as a matter of course given their age. Makes sense to kill two birds with one stone where possible.
(12-21-2020, 04:21 PM)strawman Wrote:

Fair do's - my uncle who is 95 is still waiting for his appointment and will be going to a surgery he's never been to before. I tried to explain to him yesterday where it was but he is deaf as a post and kept on getting the road name wrong - fuck knows where he'll end up.
Derek Hardballs Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Derek Hardballs Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:Derek. I'm not asking to wait in a surgery. The issue could be minimised with a word down the phone, easy access to repeat prescriptions and by putting a plan in place. None of which appears within the scope of current arrangements. Also, I'm not having a go at medical staff, I just want some. It is the armies of faceless bureaucrats that are making everyone's life much more difficult. Again, how is their job any riskier than anyone working in any other service?

I think it’s just the policy of that particular GP practice not the general rule. I didn’t want to come across as harsh and my sympathies to you and your family. I think we have to remember that in an ideal world no one would be put at as little risk as possible.
Actually, after 3 days of trying we just had a breakthrough of sorts, medical side of things is as good as ever, although a faster response would have seen a much better outcome all around.  My point still remains, and this applies across all of the things I mentioned not simply the GPs,  some are content behind locked doors for no apparent reason. BTW, my visit to the doctors intercom (last resort),worked. But it isn't ideal to shout your business in front of a queue of pensioners standing outside in the rain all looking wistfully at an empty waiting room the size of the Smethwick End. Things appear to be made difficult in the hope you go away, (or fall through the cracks)?

Ossian Wrote:
Ted Maul Wrote:In fairness to my local docs, if you ring up bang on 8am you can usually get through within 10 mins.

That's the best way to get ours as well; not guaranteed but better than any other time of day. Pre-covid by far the best option was to book via the online system; it was the first thing to be 'closed until further notice'.

Tom, having had to deal with the fallout from a family bereavement over the last few months - doctors, registrars, banks, probate and more - you have my sympathy, which will be of no practical help. One thing I would say though is make time for yourself to have a break away from it, even if it's only a walk round your neighbourhood; trying to work on it dawn till dusk until it's all done will just grind you down.
Cheers Oss.

Why do you want to put more people at risk because some already are? Surely places like supermarkets should be giving their staff greater protection rather than less to those who can work from home / away from the office?
I see a lot more risk to those waiting out in a rainy December day than they would ever face sitting inside with an entire row to themselves. I'm also sure that you know that too.  As for the other dodging, weaving and avoidance, it's no surprise we have the population of a city sleeping in doorways across the UK,when from my recent experience, it is very easy to see how people fall through the cracks. It may be a pandemic, but it doesn't need the brain of Stephen Hawking to make a judgement call on a fairly straightforward risk.
Bump! Back to the OP, a further rant in the category,  "Some people have had an easy war".  I have one customer that will always pay by cheque. They're too old to change now so that's just the way. A few months ago it happened , I called into the bank to stick the cheque in the machine and the place was closed. It wasnt 5.00?  All the lights on, people moving around within but a sign on the door saying "Closed 3.30".  Fast forward a few months, another cheque, another trip to the bank, race to make the 3.30 deadline. Guess what?  They close at 2PM now!  What that has to do with Covid I don't know. First up against the wall come  revolution....rant over.
(01-13-2021, 04:24 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Bump! Back to the OP, a further rant in the category,  "Some people have had an easy war".  I have one customer that will always pay by cheque. They're too old to change now so that's just the way. A few months ago it happened , I called into the bank to stick the cheque in the machine and the place was closed. It wasnt 5.00?  All the lights on, people moving around within but a sign on the door saying "Closed 3.30".  Fast forward a few months, another cheque, another trip to the bank, race to make the 3.30 deadline. Guess what?  They close at 2PM now!  What that has to do with Covid I don't know. First up against the wall come  revolution....rant over.

Physical banks are money sinks outside of densely populated areas. Banks want to cut costs and the move to digital systems and away from cash means that they've got a perfect excuse, and the pandemic has led to an even bigger drop in footfall so they've got an excuse to cut opening times further.
(01-13-2021, 04:24 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Bump! Back to the OP, a further rant in the category,  "Some people have had an easy war".  I have one customer that will always pay by cheque. They're too old to change now so that's just the way. A few months ago it happened , I called into the bank to stick the cheque in the machine and the place was closed. It wasnt 5.00?  All the lights on, people moving around within but a sign on the door saying "Closed 3.30".  Fast forward a few months, another cheque, another trip to the bank, race to make the 3.30 deadline. Guess what?  They close at 2PM now!  What that has to do with Covid I don't know. First up against the wall come  revolution....rant over.

Don't know who you bank with, but with Lloyds you can take a photo of a cheque on your phone or tablet (up to £1000) and it gets paid in that way.