Some are having a very good war...
Wayne The Baggie Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:Bump! Back to the OP, a further rant in the category,  "Some people have had an easy war".  I have one customer that will always pay by cheque. They're too old to change now so that's just the way. A few months ago it happened , I called into the bank to stick the cheque in the machine and the place was closed. It wasnt 5.00?  All the lights on, people moving around within but a sign on the door saying "Closed 3.30".  Fast forward a few months, another cheque, another trip to the bank, race to make the 3.30 deadline. Guess what?  They close at 2PM now!  What that has to do with Covid I don't know. First up against the wall come  revolution....rant over.

Don't know who you bank with, but with Lloyds you can take a photo of a cheque on your phone or tablet (up to £1000) and it gets paid in that way.
Cheers Wayne, I do know that but it wasn't really the point. There is no reason that due to Covid they need to close at 2.
Thought I'd bump this in the wake of the little toddler, Arthur. The title of the thread is something I have said many times in the last 18 months. I know social services, the police and just about everyone has suffered spending cuts but some just need a rocket up them. They need to remember that they still need to do the job they are paid for.
The police, apparently came and went. Social services, the same. This lad came into a situation that the authorities should have been aware of. The details are there for us all to see. The step mother is a walking disaster and has been so since a teenager (maybe before). She must have been flagged many times. Add to that the fact that the authorities  had been told by both sets of grandparents.
Covid is the new now.  People need to stop finding excuses to not do their jobs.
(12-03-2021, 08:24 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Thought I'd bump this in the wake of the little toddler, Arthur. The title of the thread is something I have said many times in the last 18 months. I know social services, the police and just about everyone has suffered spending cuts but some just need a rocket up them. They need to remember that they still need to do the job they are paid for.
The police, apparently came and went. Social services, the same. This lad came into a situation that the authorities should have been aware of. The details are there for us all to see. The step mother is a walking disaster and has been so since a teenager (maybe before). She must have been flagged many times. Add to that the fact that the authorities  had been told by both sets of grandparents.
Covid is the new now.  People need to stop finding excuses to not do their jobs.

The govt need to find more money to pay social workers a proper salary for the work they are expected to do. Then their departments may just have enough staff to do the job properly and not run at 20% + vacancy rates which can be common in local authorities. They could also keep experienced workers longer and not rely so much on newly qualified social workers in their first job. If they earned just half of what some GP's earn I imagine it would be equivalent of a 20-40% wage increase. This would attract a more talented pool of workers. The service is under resourced, under paid and under trained coupled with a big rise in referrals of children since Covid.
FenlandBoing Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:Thought I'd bump this in the wake of the little toddler, Arthur. The title of the thread is something I have said many times in the last 18 months. I know social services, the police and just about everyone has suffered spending cuts but some just need a rocket up them. They need to remember that they still need to do the job they are paid for.

The govt need to find more money to pay social workers a proper salary for the work they are expected to do. Then their departments may just have enough staff to do the job properly and not run at 20% + vacancy rates which can be common in local authorities. They could also keep experienced workers longer and not rely so much on newly qualified social workers in their first job. If they earned just half of what some GP's earn I imagine it would be equivalent of a 20-40% wage increase. This would attract a more talented pool of workers. The service is under resourced, under paid and under trained coupled with a big rise in referrals of children since Covid.
I agree, but that is a separate issue. Many of those already in the jobs simply are not doing them. In this latest tragedy, social workers were informed more than once, the murderer was well known to them, the police didn't do anything. More than one agency let the lad down.
(12-05-2021, 05:13 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
FenlandBoing Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:Thought I'd bump this in the wake of the little toddler, Arthur. The title of the thread is something I have said many times in the last 18 months. I know social services, the police and just about everyone has suffered spending cuts but some just need a rocket up them. They need to remember that they still need to do the job they are paid for.

I agree, but that is a separate issue. Many of those already in the jobs simply are not doing them. In this latest tragedy, social workers were informed more than once, the murderer was well known to them, the police didn't do anything. More than one agency let the lad down.

I'm with Tom on this. Customer service has never been a strong suit in Britain, especially in the public sector where all sorts of people believe they are doing you a favour rather than providing the service you're paying them for. Covid is the new cover-all reason/excuse for any sort of failing or short-fall in services. Even the critical services like healthcare and child protection have lapsed catastrophically - far beyond the point where under-funding or Covid restrictions can be held entirely responsible.

"We're doing the best we can for you" is the public sector mantra. In my (private sector) working life, I occasionally had to fire someone who was doing their best but it wasn't good enough. That's the real world.
(12-06-2021, 09:32 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
FenlandBoing Wrote:

I'm with Tom on this. Customer service has never been a strong suit in Britain, especially in the public sector where all sorts of people believe they are doing you a favour rather than providing the service you're paying them for. Covid is the new cover-all reason/excuse for any sort of failing or short-fall in services. Even the critical services like healthcare and child protection have lapsed catastrophically - far beyond the point where under-funding or Covid restrictions can be held entirely responsible.

"We're doing the best we can for you" is the public sector mantra. In my (private sector) working life, I occasionally had to fire someone who was doing their best but it wasn't good enough. That's the real world.

I’ve had shocking customer service in the ‘real world’. I doubt any of them got fired for delivering shoddy services. Away from the anecdotal we have 3000 homes still without power ten days after a severe storm in the North East. Those customers of the private sector are being let down badly, I assume several heads will roll for this… I doubt it? Currently the local council seem to be the main source of help for those households which last time I looked was publicly ran.

There are good and bad people in both the public and private sector whether there was Covid or not these awful things happen every year, and I’m a little uncomfortable that an anti-lockdown agenda in schools seems to be pushed when it was individuals that failed the poor child. With regards to this schools did not close for the most vulnerable, again that wasn’t Covid measures it was a failure by individuals to do their job and the wicked evil parents.
That is my point Derek. People are hiding behind Covid or 'Computer says no', or 'we are taking this issue very seriously', instead of rolling up their sleeves and pitching in.
(12-06-2021, 10:10 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: That is my point Derek. People are hiding behind Covid or 'Computer says no', or 'we are taking this issue very seriously',  instead of rolling up their sleeves and pitching in.

It's been a systematic issue with this country since 1945. Nobody actually wants to fix the problems, they just want to be seen to be fixing the problems.

This sort of stuff was being satirised 40 years ago
(12-06-2021, 09:32 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
FenlandBoing Wrote:

This x 100.  
One of the biggest tricks pulled by the state is to quietly take your money from you in various taxes & then make a huge song and dance about how generous they are being when they give you part of it back in shoddy services. 
Some years back i worked for Dudley PCT, I've never see so many people make themselves so busy whilst achieving the grand total of sod all.
The strange thing was that many of the staff didn't seem particularly lazy, just very badly organized and hamstrung by arcane rules and practices.
FenlandBoing Wrote:

I totally agree that those responsible need to be held to account over this tragedy but the issues are connected in that with better pay and conditions, certainly social work could attract more competent and skilled people - perhaps resulting in less tragedies in the first place.