Advice on personal injury legal advice
(09-26-2020, 06:44 AM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: Thanks very much for all the advice-it really is appreciated.    The other side is being pretty un co-operative to put it mildly, hence the need for a bit of legal advice.

A letter off the solicitor will soon change their approach!
(09-26-2020, 07:23 AM)baggpuss Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 06:44 AM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: Thanks very much for all the advice-it really is appreciated.    The other side is being pretty un co-operative to put it mildly, hence the need for a bit of legal advice.

A letter off the solicitor will soon change their approach!

Do they need a "visit"?

FF could incorporate one during a walk.
Hope everything  goes well.
I had to go through this after an accident in 2016.
It took nearly 3 years to reach a conclusion.
I had to undergo several private medical examinations and complete numerous forms which seemed endless at the time.

I hope your experience  is better than mine but the reason why insurance premiums are so high is due to the fees incurred during the legal process.

I don't  know the circumstances of the accident - ie who was to blame. If there's  any doubt then prepare for the long haul.

Beware that lawyers can make an "open and shut case" turn into a protracted legal wrangle. Injury claims will take time to settle because a person's  recovery percentage will take time to become evident. Eventually an offer to settle out of court will be made which  will be lower than you expect. They might up things if you refuse the first offer but there'll  be a ceiling after which, if you refuse it, you'll  have to go to court.
Then the court will award damages without knowing what you've been offered (supposedly)

If they're less or equal to the highest award out of court then you'll have to pay legal costs up to the value of the highest out of court offer ie you'll probably lose everything.  If they're  higher you keep everything.

All the best with this. It's a minefield. Hope the injured person makes a full recovery.
Oh and make sure they keep all receipts, details of appointments and proof of loss of earnings / time off work, and anything anyone else ahs had to do to help them get through.
Thanks for all the advice. To be honest this isn't really about the money, rather bringing some rather wealthy people with a cavalier attitude to their responsibilities to their senses. No need to go into detail but there is some really bad behaviour in play here and I'm not having it. My nephew could have died as a passenger in their kid's car-smashed into a tree driven at speed- and they really don't give a fuck. Your inputs are really appreciated.
Was the other driver huffing on a balloon and crying about a stolen watch?

In all seriousness hope all is OK. I have a couple of recommendations although neither local to your family. PM me if the other, better leads yield nothing. Manc is probably your man!

Remember that the initial legal exchange letters are designed to be nasty, to shit you up, and make you feel like caving in. Don't, it's just words; and money doesn't completely protect people from the law without serious risk of it getting very public, and potentially very messy for them.
(09-26-2020, 12:29 PM)HeavyWoollenBaggie Wrote: Thanks for all the advice.  To be honest this isn't really about the money, rather bringing some rather wealthy people with a cavalier attitude to their responsibilities to their senses.  No need to go into detail but there is some really bad behaviour in play here and I'm not having it.  My nephew could have died as  a passenger in their kid's car-smashed into a tree driven at speed- and they really don't give a fuck.  Your inputs are really appreciated.

It wasn't Prince Phillip again was it??