Anti-mask wearers
I see that they are out in force today demanding their freedom as true upholders of libertarianism or to put it more accurately selfish individuals who wish to impose their freedoms as more important than the health of others. 

I’m expecting lots of links to right wing commentators, naysaying scientists and a few loony back bench MPs And Lords in response.

NB yes there will be some people who cannot wear a mask for medical or disability reasons which is fair enough but that isn’t the majority.
I saw a comment along the lines of "If you're not comfortable in a mask, you really won't like a ventilator". It would make a good T-shirt slogan.

This is the libertarian point of view encapsulated; it's all about me.
The usual authoritarians welcoming the thin end of the wedge with buttocks greased and splayed.
(07-24-2020, 03:23 PM)Protheroe Wrote: The usual authoritarians welcoming the thin end of the wedge with buttocks greased and splayed.

Why don’t you want to help reduce the risk of the virus spreading?
(07-24-2020, 03:31 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 03:23 PM)Protheroe Wrote: The usual authoritarians welcoming the thin end of the wedge with buttocks greased and splayed.

Why don’t you want to help reduce the risk of the virus spreading?

Probably because there’s no such thing as society.
Because I don't believe masking up in a convenience store is anything to do with the negligible risk of the virus spreading.

You'll have to forgive my cynicism when the state wants to control that, but lets mass protests go, celebrations at Liverpool, Leeds & the Albion and block parties every weekend in Covid hotspots

If you want to live your life in fear then be my guest. if you want to be compliant with this and everything else that's coming (£££) then be my guest.

I've spent the last 16 weeks getting my life in order, setting up another company to take advantage of the economic fallout and shielding assets to keep them away from Rishi. Masking up is the thin end of a very thick wedge - we're being softened up for a good fisting.
What colour is the sky on your planet?

The one consistent feature of the UK government's response to the pandemic is that it has generally been too little and too late; something Boris Johnson has today begun to lay the groundwork for acknowledging. The wearing of masks is a relatively minor imposition which will probably have some benefits, possibly significant ones. If it turns out, with hindsight, to have been a bit 'belt & braces' then far better that than to have yet again missed the boat.

It's a strip of fabric; hardly Tiananmen Square.
(07-24-2020, 04:03 PM)Ossian Wrote: What colour is the sky on your planet?

The one consistent feature of the UK government's response to the pandemic is that it has generally been too little and too late; something Boris Johnson has today begun to lay the groundwork for acknowledging. The wearing of masks is a relatively minor imposition which will probably have some benefits, possibly significant ones. If it turns out, with hindsight, to have been a bit 'belt & braces' then far better that than to have yet again missed the boat.

There is a theme that seems to run through many (not all before the usual suspects misquote me) of individuals who are against masks. Ardent Brexiteers, think of themselves as patriots, climate change sceptics, anti-vaccination, tend to follow or read right wing columnists like Toby Young etc and proclaim themselves as Libertarians.

A few years ago they would have been on the margins of political influence now they have one hand worryingly it seems on the tiller of the rickety ship U.K. I do worry which direction this country is heading. Possibly shit creek unless we can steer back to the centre.
(07-24-2020, 06:27 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 04:03 PM)Ossian Wrote: What colour is the sky on your planet?

There is a theme that seems to run through many (not all before the usual suspects misquote me) of individuals who are against masks. Ardent Brexiteers, think of themselves as patriots, climate change sceptics, anti-vaccination, tend to follow or read right wing columnists like Toby Young etc and proclaim themselves as Libertarians.

A few years ago they would have been on the margins of political influence now they have one hand worryingly it seems on the tiller of the rickety ship U.K. I do worry which direction this country is heading. Possibly shit creek unless we can steer back to the centre.
Your trawling the depths even for you this time. Another ridiculously sweeping statement with no back up (Yet. I do await the proof of course).  Just how many of the 17.4 million leave voters are against wearing masks?  
As you keep pointing out it was we elder, selfish racists who voted leave, yet it was that generation that had a mid to high 90s % take up of MMR before the controversy in 1989. It is young parents who are frightened by scare stories who are against vaccines not extreme right wingers. Unless, of course you are suggesting that near 20% of new parents are Neo Nazi.
The only theme detectable is in your head and the only tendency is for you to make unsubstantiated statements based on your own anecdotal 'evidence'. 
I await you proving the statement that "Many" leave voters are against wearing masks in shops.
I generally class myself as Libertarian.

Most Libertarians are fucking stupid to be honest. There is a difference between ideology and reality. And it takes no brain power to see that at the moment reality takes precedence over ideology.