5 to go
(07-05-2020, 05:14 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 04:56 PM)Ampadu\s Left Boot Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 04:49 PM)MassDebater Wrote: I'm not so sure the games that Brentford have are any easier than those that Leeds have :

Leeds United v Stoke City
v Swansea City
v Barnsley
v Derby County
v Charlton Athletic

Brentford v Charlton Athletic
v Derby County
v Preston North End
v Stoke City
v Barnsley

in fact other than PNE and Swansea (both who aren't out of play off contention) they are the same!

Albion's run-in is similar too, it's only the game at home to Fulham which makes it a little trickier than the Leeds and Brentford run-ins.

I'm comparing them looking at recent results, their form, the teams left to play and how we have been over the past 10 games and how we have performed since the re-start v their performances. I hope I'm wrong but it looks as though Brentford could win all their games and take the title. Then it's whether we can find some form - we've won the last 2 so there's plenty of hope, to overtake Leeds and take 2nd. But we've got Derby, Fulham and Blackburn(unpredictable  with Mowbray in charge) and QPR also. Brentford may be playing both Stoke and Barnsley when they have nothing to play for or be battling to save themselves. It's all what ifs, incredibly exciting and tormenting!!!!

If Blackburn lose to Cardiff in midweek their season will be all but done by the time we play them next weekend, so will have nothing to play for. Q.P.R. already have nothing to play for, let alone by the time we play them in the last game of the season. Huddersfield have as much chance as Stoke of having nothing to play for by the time we play them. Derby and Fulham are our trickiest games, but we can still take something from them and we've got room for at least one slip up regardless. Brentford have barely got room for one mistake. If we get 2 wins and 2 draws (I think we'll perform a little better) that will mean just one loss for them (or 2 draws) will see Albion promoted - we're in a strong position.
Hopefully by the time we play Fulham they’ll be out of the automatic race but safe in the playoffs and will be thinking about resting players ahead of them.
(07-05-2020, 06:09 PM)Duffers Wrote: Hopefully by the time we play Fulham they’ll be out of the automatic race but safe in the playoffs and will be thinking about resting players ahead of them.

This thread is a bit like the"2-0 up at halftime is dangerous" one...
I know which position I'd rather be in!
(07-05-2020, 06:14 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:09 PM)Duffers Wrote: Hopefully by the time we play Fulham they’ll be out of the automatic race but safe in the playoffs and will be thinking about resting players ahead of them.

This thread is a bit like the"2-0 up at halftime is dangerous" one...
I know which position I'd rather be in!

From where we are now, another way of looking at it, is 3 wins and 2 draws or 4 wins and a defeat are permeations that make it impossible for Brentford to catch us. That’s even allowing Brentford to win all 9 in the post COVID restart. 
It shows how strong a position we are in. 
The table at the restart has given us a very good hand.
Sam Field 93rd minute winner for Charlton against Brentford on Tuesday  Sad
(07-05-2020, 08:20 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Sam Field 93rd minute winner for Charlton against Brentford on Tuesday  Sad

Isn't he out for the season? Or did the Cov break get him back??
(07-05-2020, 09:11 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 08:20 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Sam Field 93rd minute winner for Charlton against Brentford on Tuesday  Sad

He played Charltons last game unless they have 2 Sam Fields.
(07-05-2020, 09:15 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 09:11 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

He played Charltons last game unless they have 2 Sam Fields.

He's either played or been on the bench in each of Charlton's 4 games on the return since lockdown
(07-05-2020, 04:12 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 04:06 PM)HugeHons Wrote: The closing pack have made up 1 point on us in 4 games.

Brentford have closed 1 point on us in 10 games.

Not what they’ve done in the last 10 that matters, but what they do in the next 5.

I think Brentford will get 4 wins from their final games... whilst the teams they face have plenty to play for, so do they and they appear to be completely in their groove.

One thing that may go against them is that they’ve played pretty much the same XI every game since the restart... imagine they may need to start rotating.

The old adage is you're never tired when you're winning and they're winning at a canter. 

We have to assume until they don't,  that they'll win their last 5 games,  so we need 11 points from 15.  4 wins or 3 wins and 2 draws. 

We mustn't give them the slightest sniff of blood and hopefully they'll crack first.