Herd Immunity back on?
(06-26-2020, 12:33 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 01:07 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Or never went away? 

It seems there is very little science behind this very wide easing of the lockdown. No proper tracking, testing system in place, random and pointless guidelines, no proper plans for those shielding other than get on with it in a month. Numbers of those getting ill are similar to when we lockdown. 

It seems the government are moving towards washing their hands of responsibility.

Herd immunity is simply a phenomenon that leads to a pathogen no longer being a present threat in a population. That is the only means by which a population eradicates a communicable disease. 

From this, left-wing and remain liars have tried to claim that the Government's approach was for herd immunity to be reached by letting the disease tear-through the population. To back this up they use a dishonestly-edited* clip of the PM on This Morning where he says take it on the chin would be one approach but then goes on to reject it. https://fullfact.org/health/boris-johnso...s-morning/

Herd immunity as soon as possible clearly is not the chosen approach when the country has been locked-up for the past 3 months.

I can't decide whether the people making these claims are thick, dishonest or both. 

*Dishonestly edited clips were a speciality of Stronger In during the referendum campaign so I suppose there should be no surprise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23JqlqGvAzo

Spot on. Too many don’t understand the difference between herd immunity happening naturally, and a herd immunity plan from the start, which as you rightly say, was rejected. And I’m not a Tory voter.
(06-26-2020, 01:49 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 12:33 PM)Neil Parsley Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 01:07 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Or never went away? 

It seems there is very little science behind this very wide easing of the lockdown. No proper tracking, testing system in place, random and pointless guidelines, no proper plans for those shielding other than get on with it in a month. Numbers of those getting ill are similar to when we lockdown. 

It seems the government are moving towards washing their hands of responsibility.

Herd immunity is simply a phenomenon that leads to a pathogen no longer being a present threat in a population. That is the only means by which a population eradicates a communicable disease. 

From this, left-wing and remain liars have tried to claim that the Government's approach was for herd immunity to be reached by letting the disease tear-through the population. To back this up they use a dishonestly-edited* clip of the PM on This Morning where he says take it on the chin would be one approach but then goes on to reject it. https://fullfact.org/health/boris-johnso...s-morning/

Herd immunity as soon as possible clearly is not the chosen approach when the country has been locked-up for the past 3 months.

I can't decide whether the people making these claims are thick, dishonest or both. 

*Dishonestly edited clips were a speciality of Stronger In during the referendum campaign so I suppose there should be no surprise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23JqlqGvAzo

Spot on. Too many don’t understand the difference between herd immunity happening naturally, and a herd immunity plan from the start, which as you rightly say, was rejected. And I’m not a Tory voter.
Stop muddying the waters with facts. You know anecdotes, selective quotes and deliberate inaccuracies are the way to go. And they recon Boris is a liar. You really must start reading The Angry Voice and Guardian.
The full quote regarding taking it on the chin doesn’t say herd immunity is not the direction it says we needed to protect the NHS from getting over run.

Other countries have made it very clear they will not tolerate herd immunity and have sought to eradicate it as much as is possible such as New Zealand.

Other countries have a robust working trace and track and testing models that are doing better than ours. This is currently the only way we are going to be able to any semblance of normality without a vaccine or mutation of the virus.

Now we can be honest about this and do something about it quickly before Autumn or we can criticise those pointing this out to the point where some are making rather crass and personal comments.