Brexit Party
(06-14-2019, 08:16 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:36 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 03:43 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 07:41 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: Brexit Party are racist. All racists will be voting/have voted for them. Not everyone who votes Brexit it racist , of course, but I'd imagine the average voter is hardly a liberal or left type.

I'd also wager a few white, angry working & lower middle class  blokes who read a lot about WW2 stories in Daily Mail supplements vote for them. And their wives. The sort who claim victimisation to mask their own failures or perceived failures, or envy that an immigrant has the gall to earn more than they do.

As well as a few people who feel forgotten by the [politicians they've voted for , for a long time.

I don't think its the Brexit party being investigated by the EHRC for racism.
You can make all the silly sterotypes you like, its such a simple gane to play.
I'd wager a lot of white, liberal, middle class tits who know nothing about the lives of working peple now vote labour. I'd also wager that there are ISIS and IRA sympathisers and people with no intention of doing a days work who vote labour. 
How do you feel about a convicted electoral fraudster bieng involved in helping labour in the recent Peterborough by election? Its not like Labour don't have form for manipulating the postal vote.
just out of interest, who do you define as middle class? People born into a certain level of wealth? Someone who doesn't need to work for comfortable lifestyle but chooses to? Landed gentry? Or purely on a certain level of income?
I think it’s mainly about property ownership and values nowadays. I consider myself as lower middle class, own property, live in a nice area, put a big value on education etc but then I know people who earn more than me but are definitely more working class. 
It’s the hypocrisy of the middle class liberals who virtue signal how open they are yet detest working class culture when they encounter it anywhere other than in the guardian or a book. As an example I worked with this guy from Winchester who was always banging on about how he was a liberal and how we should help the working class. In the next breath he would refer to football fans as mindless idiots and look down his nose what I would consider ordinary people. I suppose it’s the patronising attitude and sense of superiority that pisses a lot of people off

Define working class? It’s a bugbear of mine that poor behaviour is excused on the premise they are working class in some romanticised way. Usually defined by it’s ok to let your kid fail at school, be anti-education, anti-social with poor language and communication skills etc. That isn’t working class it’s just lazy, self satisfied (rolling around in your own poop) ignorance. You don’t have to behave badly like you’re in an episode of Shameless to uphold a stereotype of what working class culture is. My family are from West Brom and from some of the poorest estates but they all work, they didn’t get absolutely shitfaced every weekend, only talk in slang, think education was for the swats etc. There are lots of people from poorer backgrounds who do not fit the working class model others have set for them and until chav culture is separated from the rest people will look down on the ‘culture’ because it’s bern bastardised by the lazy and the feckless. I don’t call them the most vulnerable in society far from it.
(06-09-2019, 07:41 AM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: Brexit Party are racist. All racists will be voting/have voted for them. Not everyone who votes Brexit it racist , of course, but I'd imagine the average voter is hardly a liberal or left type.

I'd also wager a few white, angry working & lower middle class  blokes who read a lot about WW2 stories in Daily Mail supplements vote for them. And their wives. The sort who claim victimisation to mask their own failures or perceived failures, or envy that an immigrant has the gall to earn more than they do.

As well as a few people who feel forgotten by the [politicians they've voted for , for a long time.

I'd wager a lot of white, liberal, middle class tits who know nothing about the lives of working peple now vote labour. I'd also wager that there are ISIS and IRA sympathisers and people with no intention of doing a days work who vote labour. 
How do you feel about a convicted electoral fraudster bieng involved in helping labour in the recent Peterborough by election? Its not like Labour don't have form for manipulating the postal vote.
just out of interest, who do you define as middle class? People born into a certain level of wealth? Someone who doesn't need to work for comfortable lifestyle but chooses to? Landed gentry? Or purely on a certain level of income?
I think it’s mainly about property ownership and values nowadays. I consider myself as lower middle class, own property, live in a nice area, put a big value on education etc but then I know people who earn more than me but are definitely more working class. 
It’s the hypocrisy of the middle class liberals who virtue signal how open they are yet detest working class culture when they encounter it anywhere other than in the guardian or a book. As an example I worked with this guy from Winchester who was always banging on about how he was a liberal and how we should help the working class. In the next breath he would refer to football fans as mindless idiots and look down his nose what I would consider ordinary people. I suppose it’s the patronising attitude and sense of superiority that pisses a lot of people off
You have that bang on.  I know loads of  (self proclaimed) Labour voters living in a nice suburb,  that fall over themselves to point to how unfair society is, but suggest a pint somewhere less than salubrious and they say it'll be full of chavs and Neanderthals. I take great delight in pointing  out to them that they don't actually like the working class.
(06-14-2019, 08:50 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

You have that bang on.  I know loads of  (self proclaimed) Labour voters living in a nice suburb,  that fall over themselves to point to how unfair society is, but suggest a pint somewhere less than salubrious and they say it'll be full of chavs and Neanderthals. I take great delight in pointing  out to them that they don't actually like the working class.

But that argument just gives fuckwits an excuse to hide behind the working class badge whenever they act badly. If a pub is a shithole it’s s shithole it’s not a working class pub.
(06-14-2019, 08:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 03:43 PM)Sotv Wrote: I don't think its the Brexit party being investigated by the EHRC for racism.

But that argument just gives fuckwits an excuse to hide behind the working class badge whenever they act badly. If a pub is a shithole it’s s shithole it’s not a working class pub.
Not my point DH. I wouldn't want to be a part of any of that, I'm not talking about shitholes.  These lads are decent types, I played football with many and have known them since I've lived here. They are all fairly well off. But I can take the piss freely by pointing out, I'm the only working class one of us all.  Truth is, I'm the only one that will have a pint in some of the pubs they turn their noses up at. They'd rather pay over the odds in some trendy place priced high enough to keep out the riff raff.
I just like to remind them of this when we're discussing politics.
(06-15-2019, 01:22 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 08:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:36 PM)FenlandBoing Wrote: just out of interest, who do you define as middle class? People born into a certain level of wealth? Someone who doesn't need to work for comfortable lifestyle but chooses to? Landed gentry? Or purely on a certain level of income?

Not my point DH. I wouldn't want to be a part of any of that, I'm not talking about shitholes.  These lads are decent types, I played football with many and have known them since I've lived here. They are all fairly well off. But I can take the piss freely by pointing out, I'm the only working class one of us all.  Truth is, I'm the only one that will have a pint in some of the pubs they turn their noses up at. They'd rather pay over the odds in some trendy place priced high enough to keep out the riff raff.
I just like to remind them of this when we're discussing politics.
I know a lot of working class lads who wouldn't go into proper boozers and preferred wine bars and poncy places!  One size doe fit all....
I define working class you going into your local after work in your work gear and others are doing the same and not feeling that your a scruff and others are not turning their noses up at you .....most use the bar anyhow .
(06-16-2019, 01:16 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I define working class you going into your local after work in your work gear and others are doing the same and not feeling that your a scruff and others are not turning their noses up at you .....most use the bar anyhow .

Weird definition of working class. I thought the ‘Working Class’ was a section of society who worked for a wage (usually low paid) in industry or manual labour. Other people’s reaction to you also doesn’t define you as a person or class either. After all, if a Boris Johnson-esque type person was to walk into a boozer, the working clothed, inverted snobs, would turn their noses up at him.

Interesting definition of a “local” now too. How many pubs have a ‘Bar’ a ‘Lounge’ and a ‘Snug’ these days. Most I know are eateries now.
I don't define working class on your job its what company you keep and mostly like yourself . Don't like people who look down on you because of status there are a few on here who think they are above everyone else .
(06-17-2019, 12:28 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I don't define working class on your job its what company you keep and mostly like yourself .  Don't like  people who look down on you because of status there are a few on here who think they are above everyone else .
You are correct in that. Though I would say there is possibly a only a couple of self opinionated, inflated egotistical, ‘only my view counts’ types on this current incarnation of the bored who bang on about their pet gripes. Bringing them up in virtually every post and thread.

Just a question, what class would you have me down as? The son of a postman and factory worker, I mix with blue and white collar types equally.
(06-17-2019, 12:28 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I don't define working class on your job its what company you keep and mostly like yourself .  Don't like  people who look down on you because of status there are a few on here who think they are above everyone else .

I don’t look down on anyone based on what they do but what they say and do and the same on here. I do however play to pre-conceived perceptions of me just for fun  Big Grin

For example I have a completely different view on the world than you so I respond in that manner. We could be more respectful of each other’s views but where’s the fun in that?