Leicester Localised Lockdown
Will a lockdown impact on the Foxes?
(06-28-2020, 01:07 PM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote: It’s not just a particular community but any groupings that have selfishly ignored the lockdown and, effectively, endangered all of our health and livelihoods that so annoy me.
Myself and all our families have been doing everything we can to avoid catching and spreading thus killer virus.
The government really need to step up at long last to enforce strict test, track, trace and quarantine and stop leaving it up to individuals!!!! Only way we will avoid another catastrophic event from September onwards.
Imagine what chaos we have to come with the virus still so prevalent mixing in with colds and flus !

(06-28-2020, 12:06 PM)baggpuss Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:26 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:21 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:08 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: At the risk of lighting the bonfire, this (from my experience) is true.

I’ve been in 3 Asian shops In Soarkbook recently and in every store everyone strictly adhered to social distancing and wouldn’t walk down an aisle until it was clear.  Totally different to mainstream supermarkets  eat to where I live.
Fair enough, but that is the minimum requirement. From my experience there has still been the usual family gatherings taking place as if nothing has happened. Not a popular view, I know, but it would be dishonest for me to pretend otherwise.

I reported on this some weeks ago during Eid when many of our neighbours completely ignored social distancing with friends and family coming to their houses shaking hands and hugging so unfortunately I am not surprised!

Just so selfish and disrespectful to the majority that has sacrificed so much already let alone health care workers.

Totally agree, living in Leicester I have despaired at some of the things I have heard. I have been out 7 times in 13 weeks and two of those was to see my folks in the Black Country as my dad is very sick and have totally observed everything that has been asked. To see this ruined by selfish people who think it can’t happen to them is so frustrating
(06-28-2020, 01:24 PM)4-hero Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:21 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:08 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 11:06 AM)Penny Black Baggie Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 10:52 AM)Pipkins Wrote: No great surprise there as in many areas large BAME population

With many having their own community within a community 
I was led to believe within their own community many of the occupants still dont speak english

Surely that would have a huge impact on dealing with this

1. Large population of one the most vulnerable groups
2. Densely populated 
3. Higher number of multi generational households than usual
4. Failure to observe lockdown since day one

Inevitable I’m afraid.
At the risk of lighting the bonfire, this (from my experience) is true.

I’ve been in 3 Asian shops In Soarkbook recently and in every store everyone strictly adhered to social distancing and wouldn’t walk down an aisle until it was clear.  Totally different to mainstream supermarkets  eat to where I live.

Arf, you must have visited these shops before 10AM , absolutely nothing has changed down Stratford Road

Nope. Stratford road and ladypool Road.  Meanwhile in Solihulll, people don’t give a fuck and the council use “social distancing” as and excuse to test a one way system around the town. (I kid you not).
The trouble is the media & M.P's wont say how it is

Instead its always another excuse why its gone up in within certain communities

On BBC News one person said many wont seek help because of fear of racism from health officials
(06-28-2020, 09:10 PM)Pipkins Wrote: The trouble is the media & M.P's wont say how it is

On BBC News one person said many wont seek help because of fear of racism from health officials

The problem is hypersensitivity due to political correctness closing all debate.
For instance 10 years ago someone could say they think gays having children is unnatural and someone could respond with an argument saying gays can make good parents, better than kids being brought up in dysfunctional chaotic homes.
Now if someone said they thought gay parenting wrong they just get labelled as fascists. End of discussion.
It means only in the voting booth do the conservative suppressed take their revenge. 
Freedom of speech is finished until we start debating difference again rather than this polarised madness.
I find it so frustrating as someone quite centrist politically.
It’s not just a UK thing either.
(06-28-2020, 09:38 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 09:10 PM)Pipkins Wrote: The trouble is the media & M.P's wont say how it is

The problem is hypersensitivity due to political correctness closing all debate.
For instance 10 years ago someone could say they think gays having children is unnatural and someone could respond with an argument saying gays can make good parents, better than kids being brought up in dysfunctional chaotic homes.
Now if someone said they thought gay parenting wrong they just get labelled as fascists. End of discussion.
It means only in the voting booth do the conservative suppressed take their revenge. 
Freedom of speech is finished until we start debating difference again rather than this polarised madness.

+lots

If I'm reading this right you're implying that 10 years ago, saying something that was blatantly homophobic in public with no backlash was a good thing because of freedom of speech? Either that or the level of education on this issue is much higher now than 10 years ago that people know gay parents either adopt, use donors or have surrogates and that's not even mentioning nothing about parental upbringing or birth nowadays is "natural". Social attitudes change, 40 years ago it was not socially acceptable to be gay and socially acceptable to say that gay people were mentally ill and 60 years ago being gay meant you could be chemically castrated even if you were a war hero. Not sure why someone would be called fascist for that nowadays, homophobic yes but the only people I can imagine complain about being called fascist for that hold other views that are much more extreme such as they overlap with the regimentation of society within fascism such as thinking gay people are an underclass who don't deserve the same rights or something. The reason nobody discusses that anymore is because it either outs the person saying that as a bigot or as a massive idiot.

Regarding freedom of speech, your position is a fallacy. By politically encouraging the views of some via protections you're suppressing the freedom of speech of those who disagree with it which can open up a big can of worms. This is why the only policing of freedom of speech is in relation to the state (ECtHR and the US constitution for example) as if you try and police private individuals no matter what way you try to balance things you're infringing on people's rights to free speech.

On this particular topic, I've seen nobody afraid of asserting that religious or ethnicity might affect the attitude to the response to the lockdown as I've seen it discussed plenty. What I've not seen is people calling out older people for being more likely to break lockdown than younger people or the reasons why working class older men are also considered a high risk group. The issue to me is that people like complaining instead of doing things or ignoring other factors such as in this particular area of Leicester where cases have spiked likely having a distrust of authority due to the actions of the government and local councils against them over the last 30 years, with nobody accounting for that potentially being a reason why they're ignoring advice as it's not been corroborated by other parts of the country with a similar ethnic makeup but a different reaction.
(06-28-2020, 11:56 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: On this particular topic, I've seen nobody afraid of asserting that religious or ethnicity might affect the attitude to the response to the lockdown as I've seen it discussed plenty. What I've not seen is people calling out older people for being more likely to break lockdown than younger people or the reasons why working class older men are also considered a high risk group. The issue to me is that people like complaining instead of doing things or ignoring other factors such as in this particular area of Leicester where cases have spiked likely having a distrust of authority due to the actions of the government and local councils against them over the last 30 years, with nobody accounting for that potentially being a reason why they're ignoring advice as it's not been corroborated by other parts of the country with a similar ethnic makeup but a different reaction.
Forgive me. but that is a complete load of ROLLOCKS!  This ageist claptrap keeps being reiterated.

Take a look at the pictures in these articles and point out where the oldies are.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so...ting-story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lo...ting-story

Look at the pictures of all these 50 + hell raisers.https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/li...d=msedgdhp
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53208632
(06-28-2020, 11:56 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote:

If I'm reading this right you're implying that 10 years ago, saying something that was blatantly homophobic in public with no backlash was a good thing because of freedom of speech? Either that or the level of education on this issue is much higher now than 10 years ago that people know gay parents either adopt, use donors or have surrogates and that's not even mentioning nothing about parental upbringing or birth nowadays is "natural". Social attitudes change, 40 years ago it was not socially acceptable to be gay and socially acceptable to say that gay people were mentally ill and 60 years ago being gay meant you could be chemically castrated even if you were a war hero. Not sure why someone would be called fascist for that nowadays, homophobic yes but the only people I can imagine complain about being called fascist for that hold other views that are much more extreme such as they overlap with the regimentation of society within fascism such as thinking gay people are an underclass who don't deserve the same rights or something. The reason nobody discusses that anymore is because it either outs the person saying that as a bigot or as a massive idiot.

Regarding freedom of speech, your position is a fallacy. By politically encouraging the views of some via protections you're suppressing the freedom of speech of those who disagree with it which can open up a big can of worms. This is why the only policing of freedom of speech is in relation to the state (ECtHR and the US constitution for example) as if you try and police private individuals no matter what way you try to balance things you're infringing on people's rights to free speech.

On this particular topic, I've seen nobody afraid of asserting that religious or ethnicity might affect the attitude to the response to the lockdown as I've seen it discussed plenty. What I've not seen is people calling out older people for being more likely to break lockdown than younger people or the reasons why working class older men are also considered a high risk group. The issue to me is that people like complaining instead of doing things or ignoring other factors such as in this particular area of Leicester where cases have spiked likely having a distrust of authority due to the actions of the government and local councils against them over the last 30 years, with nobody accounting for that potentially being a reason why they're ignoring advice as it's not been corroborated by other parts of the country with a similar ethnic makeup but a different reaction.
No. You illustrate the point I made perfectly.
I firstly gave this as an example rather than saying it’s my opinion. It isn’t. I’m totally fine with gay parenting and I would certainly have taken the latter point in this argument.
However, I would try to see other points of view. Is it seen as strange? Yes. It hadn’t happened before on a widespread scale as it was unnatural. That word meaning not part of nature. However, even the word unnatural is loaded at this time.
So dare we mention the behaviour of other ethnic groups with people like you about? Not likely. People like you are the reason for Trump and Brexit.
I’m liberal, but realise some people are conservative and slow to accept change. The fact is the extreme left wing is extremely intolerant and totally lacking perspective. For instance someone last week said he being Asian and asked if he could drink was micro racism. It was a comment on a BBC story!
I shook my head as this perfectly demonstrates acute hypersensitivity.
People can’t find the words now to try to reason anything because of such nonsense. Their voices have been silenced and it’s stoked up something more sinister as is clear.
The world isn’t perfect, some people are slower than others to accept change but alienating them is having a much more destructive path and your argument brilliantly shows that. 
I hope Kier Starmer can help change the madness in the Labour Party because you will have more real fascism and racism otherwise.
Where to begin.

Let's start in Bournemouth, where people were far from social distancing, indulging in anti social behaviour and littering (literally leaving their shit behind)

Overwhelmingly these people were white. Many people have criticised this type of behaviour (me included), but what people have not done is claim that their behaviour is because they are white or an indicator of how white people in general behave. Or to put it another way no one (and quite correctly) has blamed their behaviour on their ethnicity.

Now when it comes to people from the BAME community who are not following social distancing rules, it is their ethnicity, religion, culture which is the determinant of their behaviour.

And then they point the figure at the people who expose the difference in the way various races etc are treated as the intolerant ones.