The last gasps of an era
It seems to me that this hard right government (probably in waiting) is the last gasp attempt at a type of person becoming increasingly aware of their own political, social and cultural mortality. The generations below are rapidly changing what is and is isn’t the norm, technology is leaving many behind and the cultural mix is making them feel they are no longer in control of the cultural direction the country is taking. 

This final hard right reaction and the need to blame something anything is a temporary moment in time and no matter how hard they push back eventually they will become weary and an new era will emerge, whether it will be better or worse time will tell but frankly I’m hoping the last decade has been the dying embers of an era ending.
I really hope so - some of the politics, downright bullshit and propaganda that is being spread is of 1930s Weimar Republic level. And there are a fair number of the disaffected youth that see it as a way out of their crap situations (ironically created by the parties they are following) which also worries me.

Genuinely crap times - I hope that I am very wrong.
If I didn't think it would have such terrible implications for... well, it's a very long list, I could draw quite a bit of comfort from the fact that the Tories deserve to be the ones holding their own toxic parcel when the music stops.
How are the Tories "Hard Right"?
(11-14-2019, 04:15 PM)Albionbaggie2019 Wrote: How are the Tories "Hard Right"?

How would describe this current cabinet when many moderates (centrists) have left or distanced themselves from them? Or put it another way Dominic Grieve is no longer in the Conservative Party, Mark Francois is.
(11-14-2019, 04:26 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 04:15 PM)Albionbaggie2019 Wrote: How are the Tories "Hard Right"?

How would describe this current cabinet when many moderates (centrists) have left or distanced themselves from them? Or put it another way Dominic Grieve is no longer in the Conservative Party, Mark Francois is.

Grieve is right wing, People assume he is a "Centrist" because he wants to stop Brexit
(11-15-2019, 12:22 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote: You get swings one direction then the other.... Obama then Trump, Tory then Labour and back. The overall graph is for more social reform though, but economically the West is going to find keeping such high living standards for all difficult as it no longer controls the world's resources and faces competition from outside that it is struggling to compete with without lowering wages and standards. 

New technology may save us but perhaps when it was said 'we never had it so good' or whatever the quote was, it should have been followed by 'and it's downhill from here'.

New technology can also disrupt society though and this here interweb social media makes manipulation of news and electorates easier than ever. Without clamping down on freedoms, this will continue to be impossible to stop, so I dont see the corrupt era ending and the economic challenges will also remain. 

Realistically no party can achieve their election promises without bankrupting the country so they either won't fulfil them or will actually bankrupt the country leading to a different kind of crisis. 

We may have to accept that not all problems can be solved and not all injustices be removed as we just are not wealthy enough to do it - it is fine giving out about politicians lying and making false promises but they all do it because it is what people want to hear - they/we don't want the truth that we are going to get poorer and struggle to pay for all the things we want - NHS, security, crime prevention, social services, education, infrastructure etc. 

We vote for the most believable fantasy that we are fed and the general direction we think the party is taking us. For now the population favours a swing to the right, later it will be to the left, but it will make little long term difference as markets and societies will adjust. And we will still face a long term decline as will the rest of the West - until some radical new age akin to the industrial revolution occurs, if it ever does. In my opinion.

In summary if you dont want to read the above ramble (cant blame you):

Wim all doomed anyroad so chill.

All good points and probably very true - that bit above did make me smile.
I've said all along if you believe MP'S you are a complete idiot .
Derek, who will you be voting for?

Genuine question.

And please explain why.

(11-15-2019, 02:46 PM)The liquidator Wrote: I've said all along if you believe MP'S you are a complete idiot .

Why are you voting for them then? May as well draw a cock on your ballot.
Rich is right: wim (totally) doomed.

This isn't the end of an era; it's the beginning of the Torytopia Age. Forty-odd percent of the vote will give a massive parliamentary "mandate" to the Tories for Brexit, for roling back the welfare state, and for corporate welfare, which they'll gladly use. Johnson's affable blokeish One-Nationism will be replaced by a harsher doctrine of self-propulsion and individual reliance that will leave the hindmost in wretched circumstances.

This isn't (just) hyperbole, but what will come to pass.