Best ever crop of youngsters at the club?
I think so. Harper looks the real deal and then we have the other lads on the edge of the team. All under 20.
Recall a time we barely ever saw youngsters come along and make it. From the 76 youth cup only Statham made it and possibly Trewick the only other young lad from the 70s made it I believe. Then we had the likes of Burrows and Palmer, but then very few others. 
Dare I say, in recent times Berahino was the best potentially. We move on!
Now there seems to be 5 or 6 all with a great career ahead. It’s really welcoming to see.
You can only judge in 5-6 years time when you see where they all are.
I was impressed with Tulloch when he came on the other day.
Bryan Robson anyone? Head and shoulders above anyone else mentioned.
(02-10-2019, 10:05 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I think so. Harper looks the real deal and then we have the other lads on the edge of the team. All under 20.
Recall a time we barely ever saw youngsters come along and make it. From the 76 youth cup only Statham made it and possibly Trewick the only other young lad from the 70s made it I believe. Then we had the likes of Burrows and Palmer, but then very few others. 
Now there seems to be 5 or 6 all with a great career ahead. It’s really welcoming to see.

Lynex had a decent enough career from the cup winning side, Grew and Summerfield also did ok to an extent.
During the school holidays, my mates and I used to cross the Spon Lane bridge to get from The Concrete Jungle to Spring Road. We used to watch the reserve team training and afterwards had a kickabout with some of them. These included Bryan Robson, Derek Statham, Tony Godden et al. If the current batch can get to that level, our future will be very positive. Things are looking good from what we've seen so far.
Yes, and great opprtunities; Barry , Brunt, Mozza gone this summer, either way. 

Plus all the loan players go back. 

How many would cut it in the prem remains to be seen.
(02-10-2019, 10:05 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I think so. Harper looks the real deal and then we have the other lads on the edge of the team. All under 20.
Looking very promising, I agree.

Big Jim Holgate  was the c half of the 76 team iirc. Had a great career. But for Man U and Scotland.

If you go back to the 50s and 60s we had a lot come through.

Without checking, I can recall Tony Brown, Bobby Hope, Bobby cram, Ray Fairfax, dick Sheppard, Graham Lovett, Micky fudge, Ken foggo, Dick Krzywicki (!), the 2 Williams...
Later we had Martyn Bennett, asa Hartford, cantello...

Our success (& we had plenty) was built on a great youth set up, and excellent scouting in the lower leagues and scotland.
The Chambers Twins, Gabbidon and then LLoyd Dyer were the first really decent young players who broke through after a wilderness period, of producing good young playaz.
It was big Jim Holton and he came throgh early 70's and was sold to someone in the lower leagues before emerging at Man U.

Another one who got away was Bruce Grobbelar.

Sure we took Dyer in after he had been axed from the vile.

Burrows, Palmer, and Forsyth were decent players who came throgh in the 80's plus some chap who scored 306 goals for the dogs.